latest issue correct or incorrect, help me clare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am gagging to buy one of the panasonic plasmas either the pz 70 or 700. however in the latest awards issue it says that the pz700 will play 1080p24, other reviews say that it dosnt support this format and panasonic say it dosent . as an avid reader of this mag and purchasing all of my equipment on past reviews could you please clear this problem up for me and try to show me some spec that says it will support the format. that is the pz70 or pz700, i would prefer to buy the pz70 as your latest review said that the pz700 is not worth the extra money. Oh, well on the subject of 24fps do you have to to have this selected when watching blueray or can you select simply standerd 1080p. all this new stuff is very confussing. I dont want to cause a devorce buy selling my lame sharp lcd, to buy a plasma that judders when playing my ps3 at 24fps.

If the pz70 dose play 24fps how does it achieve it? Does it have a 72 or 102hz mode or dose it do a little bit of dogy trickery. Smooth is the key please

any help would be great the faster the better as the money or my buyer wont be there forever.

cheers as always kev

ps. some evidence would be great to read, sad i know

A

Anonymous

In recent times we've tried every set with 1080p/24 content, even small screens, because we're convinced it's an important issue that helps deliver proper motion. We've found that even smaller Panasonics which don't, officially, support the system will still play ball. And in case anyone is wondering if that's an isolated issue that might somehow reflect a faulty player, we've tried it using a PS3, a Sony BDP-S1E and a Pioneer BDP-LX70 (and an 'A' spec version of the same) and all played ball.

Why does 24fps deliver proper motion? Simply because that's the native speed of the video stored on your discs (and as you've doubtless read elsewhere, it's also the speed at which film runs). Show a 24fps signal on a TV that can handle it, and it'll be doubled to 48Hz or, as you've mentioned, tripled to 72Hz to ensure the sort of refresh rate we're all comfortable with - but it won't be messed around with. It'll run at the speed it's meant to run at, and it won't have any unwanted 'repeat' frames of video inserted into it. On the other hand, select 'ordinary' 1080p and you'll find your PS3 will convert 24fps video into an alternative video signal to suit your TV - either 1080p/50Hz, which will involve very slightly speeding up the footage to create a 25fps/50Hz version, or 1080p/60Hz. This involves repeating certain frames of the 24fps signal to create a 30fps version (which is then displayed at 60Hz, obviously) so the potential for staccato, juddering motion is obvious.

As for proof: can't give you any as yet. As you pointed out, Panasonic's own website doesn't refer to 24fps support, and nor do the manuals. So I've posed the question to Panasonic's UK head office, and they've promised to ask technicians in Osaka. Watch this space.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In case you're wondering....Andy's deputy editor on What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision (not to mention a trained ISF technician).

He's just finished editing the 32-page TV supplement that will come free with our December issue, so has spent an unhealthy amount of time with flatscreens in recent weeks!

A

Anonymous

I have the 50" PZ700 and cant see any judder when playing blu rays through the ps3

A

Anonymous

I to have the 50PZ700 and wish to buy a bluray player but on this site were told by some that it will except 1080p/24fps & even Panasonic when phoning them today said yes it will run with 24fps, and here's the BUT only today i purchased the feb edition of what hi-fi and this set is in an review and now were told it won't run on 24fps now I'm confused and who to believe is correct can any one please give us a straight answer please.

TRENDING THREADS