laptop/spotify problems

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have a amp arcam alpha9,

a cd player CA 640H

a pair of speakers montior audio br5's

the mrs's is bored with all the cds and keeps logging on to this spotify site which shes hooked to but its being listeneed to through hear iphone headphones out the laptop, and would like to put it through the hifi or surround set up.

i know the answer is buy a dac magic and then the ipod and laptop can go in and to the amp and it will sound great But i have cash flow problems for about 4months and i spent £1800 on kit last year so have to be fair for a while. So the question is how bad is buying a 3.5jack to 2 rca phones for a fiver to connect the laptop to the amp going to be. (this is for the mrs not a pureist)

And is there any other ways i can connect it to either the denon1909 or the arcam alpha 9 for lets say less than 30 squid that will but me alittle time.

John Duncan

Could only find the quick start guide. Seems to suggest that the headphone socket has an optical out in it, so if you take an optical cable with a mini-toslink connector at one end and a normal toslink at the other, you can plug it into your Denoni and use the DAC in that.

1m-toslink-mini-toslink-cable.jpg

(or just get an adapter for a normal optical cable)

John Duncan

No - spotify is an app which needs to be installed (as opposed to a web site). You could however set up a uPnP server like Jamcast on your PC to stream content to the PS3 and use your iPhone to remote control it...

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
sounds good but it has to as easy as just putting a username/password in and at tops plugging a floating lead into a laptop. You know your stuff well impressed thanks

A

Anonymous

I was hoping to connect spotify to my hifi in december ... funds never allowed that, so am hoping to sort out sometime later this year, and before I do that, there are 1 or 2 more items I want to buy for my main hifi setup

I am using cheap desktop wharefdale speakers at the moment (£20 from tesco) .... it's fine for what it's worth .... however have been reading some good reviews on the M-audio studiophile AV40 active speakers ... cost approx £80 new if you shop around ... there are also some reviews on youtube

not the best solution I know, but will be fine for the meantime ... and once I have connected spotify to my hifi, my daughter can have the M-audio speakers for her laptop, as she too has a spotify account ....

John Duncan

smuggs:sounds good but it has to as easy as just putting a username/password in and at tops plugging a floating lead into a laptop.

Yes, you have to log in to spotify. The laptop ought to recognise when you have an optical cable plugged into the headphone socket as it's a different shape from a headphone plug. If not come back and will research how to change the ouptput (sorry typing this with a four year old on my back shouting 'giddyup giddy up yeeehaaaaa').

smuggs:You know your stuff well impressed thanks

No probs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:sounds good but it has to as easy as just putting a username/password in and at tops plugging a floating lead into a laptop.

Well your missus already knows the spotify side of things (you said in your first post that she is listening to it with her headphones) so at least that bit is not a problem.

You will need to go into 'sounds & audio devices' on the laptop and toggle 'sounds' setting to 'no sounds' (otherwise boops and beeps from other software will come through the hifi) and select the external device (your DAC) in the 'Sound Playback' section under the 'Audio' tab.

(This is normally automatic with USB devices that just take over from the internal sound card when plugged in.)

Also best to ensure the volume on the laptop is kept at maximum leaving control of the volume to the hifi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts