lack of bass

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HELP !!!! I've got the pioneer LX82 AV amp (I know why am I writing in the HiFi section for an AV amp, but it will all become clear). When I use the amp in Analogue Direct mode (theoretically bypassing all processors) I’m not getting the deep bass from my CD player.

I've already taken my speakers (monitor audio s8's), CD player (Arcam CD73T) and Analogue cables to a hifi shop and tested it there and its not any of them (I almost bought the stereo amp we used to test), so it must be the settings OR the amp isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be in stereo mode !! ???

I've set the speakers to large, played about with the distances etc and I’m still not getting the deep bass from certain songs... Any suggestions ??

Oh by the way, I’ve set it up to Bi-Amp, but same lack of bass in normal mode when not bi-amped.

Any suggestions would be a HUGE help. Thanks in advance

Nico

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I assume this is unrelated, but if I output audio from my PS3 to my Denon 1707 AV receiver at the wrong bitrate, I also lose all bass. Ensuring CD/networked audio is output at the correct bitrate sorts it out.

How do you have the CD player connected to the amp? A trational RCA phon pair of cables, or optical digital?

I would guess I'm miles away from the truth on this one, but thought I'd chime in :)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
nico1:

HELP !!!! I've got the pioneer LX82 AV amp (I know why am I writing in the HiFi section for an AV amp, but it will all become clear). When I use the amp in Analogue Direct mode (theoretically bypassing all processors) I'm not getting the deep bass from my CD player.

I've already taken my speakers (monitor audio s8's), CD player (Arcam CD73T) and Analogue cables to a hifi shop and tested it there and its not any of them (I almost bought the stereo amp we used to test), so it must be the settings OR the amp isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be in stereo mode !! ???

I've set the speakers to large, played about with the distances etc and I'm still not getting the deep bass from certain songs... Any suggestions ??

Oh by the way, I've set it up to Bi-Amp, but same lack of bass in normal mode when not bi-amped.

Any suggestions would be a HUGE help. Thanks in advance

Nico
If you are using a direct mode, then setting the speakers to large or playing with the distances should make no differance at all.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the responses so far...

Speakers are def in phase (checked about 4 times... i know overkill, but this is really frustrating). Speakers are also set to Large.

I spoke to Pioneer today, who said that if i play through pure direct, then it will pick up what ever is on the CD... Surely this amp can play decent stereo music??? I refuse to beleive a £2,000 AV amp can't even compete with a £400 stereo amp which was used to test my equipment in the shop.

I must be missing something... any more suggestions?

Thanks again folks

A

Anonymous

p.s. using analogue van de hull cables... When tested with my CD player, analogue cables and speakers using the shops Rotel amp (i think was about £400), the amount of base was actually scary... So i know its there... :)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought but could it be your room or speaker positioning? Have you tried listening in different positions, or changing speaker positions/toe in?

scene

nico1:
p.s. using analogue van de hull cables... When tested with my CD player, analogue cables and speakers using the shops Rotel amp (i think was about £400), the amount of base was actually scary... So i know its there... :)

gdavies09031977:Just a thought but could it be your room or speaker positioning? Have you tried listening in different positions, or changing speaker positions/toe in?
Following on from gdavies09031977 comment, when you tried the the "shops Rotel", was this in-store, or at home?

I've got MA Silver 8is and I've found they are sensitive (in terms of bass response) to distance off the wall and toe-in. At the moment I've got mine about 20cm from the wall with about 8o toe in...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:Just a thought but could it be your room or speaker positioning? Have you tried listening in different positions, or changing speaker positions/toe in?Any chance you could borrow the rotel amp and try it at home? It could be an environment problem.

A

Anonymous

I've tried toe in, and repositioning speakers.... even tried plugging the ports on the back of the speakers.

I'll def ask about borrowing the rotel amp...

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you get deep bass when not using direct mode?

I do not have the amp but read that the LX82 has phase control/full band phase control - button on remote. Have you tried toggling between these settings.

I know you have speakers set to large but you could check the cross over frequency and try experimenting by switching lfe channel on or off .

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If the LX-82 operates the same as the LX-83, there should be two direct modes; Direct which eliminates the majority of sound processing, but does utilise the MCACC settings and therefore room adjustment, and Pure Direct which bypasses these settings and send the sound untouched.

As others have suggested, borrow the amp you demo'd, then you'll know for sure.

One final thing to try, is switch to 'Stereo' rather than 'Direct'. I know this might not be the most audiophile option, as it may bring your sub into play, but it may give you the bass you're after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts