L/R balance on Rega Planar 1 is off!!

Jamie LF

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

So after recently receiving my first TT in the form of a Rega P1 I noticed that the left channel was a little louder. Immediately obvious on my speakers, and more so on headphones, especially when A/Bing against CDs playing the same track.

Checked the cabling, swapped the L/R input to rule out the phono stage, tried a different amp input (having to crank the volume then of course) and all the same still.

Being a "plug and play" model there's nothing I can do in terms of adjusting azimuths or anything else, which left only one option. This TT went back, and after much woe with Christmas time couriers my replacement Rega P1 has arrived...and has the same issue. The left channel is more prominient.

I'm not sure it's quite as bad on this one, but it's still noticeable when I flip between CD and vinyl, and whilst I could adjust my seat to compensate I know it's there!

Am I expecting too much to have perfect stereo balance on a "budget" TT of this range? I know there are certain tolerances on a cartridge, and whilst I haven't gone so far as to measure the L/R db difference I wouldn't say it's enormous, just irritating in that I know it's there. I would say it's around 10 degrees off centre when I move the balance dial to compensate.

What should I do? Return a second TT? Put this down to a bad batch and look elsewhere? Put this down to a perk of the budget range and deal with it? Appreciate any advice!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ensure the TT is completely level in both planes. (A small spirit level on the platter from back-to-front and side-to-side.)

Double check the tracking force by balancing the arm and setting it again.

Start off with the bias (anti-skate) set at the value Rega instruct (if tracking force = 1.8 then 1.8 on the bias too) then experiment with bringing the bias value down.

You may need to reduce it drastically to half it's recommended value, or even less. It's a trait of all their RBnnn arms since the first RB300 in 1983. (Bias control on them uses magnets instead of springs and is often wildly out-of-whack.)

I only have one experience of a Rega 'factory fitted' cartridge (a P2 + Bias 2 cartridge from about 2008) and it was well out of correct geometry even according to their own supplied protractor. This may need checking too.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Ensure the TT is completely level in both planes. (A small spirit level on the platter from back-to-front and side-to-side.)

Double check the tracking force by balancing the arm and setting it again.

Start off with the bias (anti-skate) set at the value Rega instruct (if tracking force = 1.8 then 1.8 on the bias too) then experiment with bringing the bias value down.

You may need to reduce it drastically to half it's recommended value, or even less. It's a trait of all their RBnnn arms since the first RB300 in 1983. (Bias control on them uses magnets instead of springs and is often wildly out-of-whack.)

I only have one experience of a Rega 'factory fitted' cartridge (a P2 + Bias 2 cartridge from about 2008) and it was well out of correct geometry even according to their own supplied protractor. This may need checking too.

Good post, very informative
thumbs_up.gif

Jamie LF said:
Hey guys,

So after recently receiving my first TT in the form of a Rega P1 I noticed that the left channel was a little louder. Immediately obvious on my speakers, and more so on headphones, especially when A/Bing against CDs playing the same track.

Checked the cabling, swapped the L/R input to rule out the phono stage, tried a different amp input (having to crank the volume then of course) and all the same still.

Being a "plug and play" model there's nothing I can do in terms of adjusting azimuths or anything else, which left only one option. This TT went back, and after much woe with Christmas time couriers my replacement Rega P1 has arrived...and has the same issue. The left channel is more prominient.

I'm not sure it's quite as bad on this one, but it's still noticeable when I flip between CD and vinyl, and whilst I could adjust my seat to compensate I know it's there!

Am I expecting too much to have perfect stereo balance on a "budget" TT of this range? I know there are certain tolerances on a cartridge, and whilst I haven't gone so far as to measure the L/R db difference I wouldn't say it's enormous, just irritating in that I know it's there. I would say it's around 10 degrees off centre when I move the balance dial to compensate.

What should I do? Return a second TT? Put this down to a bad batch and look elsewhere? Put this down to a perk of the budget range and deal with it? Appreciate any advice!

Along with the upsurge in vinyl sales it would appear that Rega, and others, QC facilities are somewhat lacking. Follow Chebbys advice or if you feel unable to do this send turntable back and get another that has been checked and set up by a competent dealer.

Jamie LF

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the (very detailed and informative!) advice - unfortunately however it doesn't help me directly as the Planar 1 is literaly "out of the box" ready - the only thing that can be adjusted on it is the counterweight. There is no bias adjustment, no azimuth adjusting, nothing else.

I've ensured that the platter is level using a bubble all around. The sound is still off center. It's not very much, in fact there's little to it, but I know it's there. Guess I'm either going to have to get used to it or have it sent back a 2nd time
confused_smile.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Jamie LF said:
Thanks for the (very detailed and informative!) advice - unfortunately however it doesn't help me directly as the Planar 1 is literaly "out of the box" ready - the only thing that can be adjusted on it is the counterweight. There is no bias adjustment, no azimuth adjusting, nothing else.

Can you explain what you mean when you say there is no opportunity to tweak and adjust anything? The photos of the Planar 1 on Rega's website seem to clearly show there is opportunity for basic cartridge alignment adjustments at least:

img-size
"

Rega_Planar_1_Turntable39276-1.jpg_1.jpg

MajorFubar said:
Jamie LF said:

Can you explain what you mean when you say there is no opportunity to tweak and adjust anything? The photos of the Planar 1 on Rega's website seem to clearly show there is opportunity for basic cartridge alignment adjustments at least:

The OP called it plug and play with no room for adjustment, that is incorrect but whether he is up to the adjustments himself is irrelevant. What appears to be the fault isn't going to be fixed by tweaking.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
The OP called it plug and play with no room for adjustment, that is incorrect but whether he is up to the adjustments himself is irrelevant. What appears to be the fault isn't going to be fixed by tweaking.

It might be, but you'd think the alignment would have to be pretty way out before it affected channel balance enough to be really noticeable, and that seems unlikely, so I take your point. Could just simply be that the cartridges in these players have a dominant channel, and short of swapping the cartridge there's not much you can do.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Good old Rega - but when they are churning out 1500+ turntables a month QC has suffered.

I won't go there with my Elicit R issues

Sounds to me like a faulty cartridge

take it back to the dealer and have then check set up and get them to play through their demo amp & speakers

sorry to the OP - did you buy this mail order from a 3rd party ? Rega do not allow mail order selling

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
is what it sounds like to me. I don't know that particular arm, but it should have come with Rega's alignment protractor, usually part of the instruction manual. If it didn't, you can download one from a number of different sites.

Assuming you're handy with a multimeter, you can check the impedance, but you must google how to do this first. This will give you a rough idea of how close left and right sides are. Do note that there usually is a small discrepancy between either side.

The carbon cartridge, by the way, is a mildly modified AT 91.

avole said:
is what it sounds like to me. I don't know that particular arm, but it should have come with Rega's alignment protractor, usually part of the instruction manual. If it didn't, you can download one from a number of different sites.

Assuming you're handy with a multimeter, you can check the impedance, but you must google how to do this first. This will give you a rough idea of how close left and right sides are. Do note that there usually is a small discrepancy between either side.

The carbon cartridge, by the way, is a mildly modified AT 91.

I think you missed the point here, plug and play is what it is about. For those that haven't a clue about turntable set ups this is meant to solve all your problems. It doesn't when the basic package is flawed, which this obviously is. Send it back until you find one that works. It's not rocket science.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I haven't missed the point. Do you not understand troubleshooting? It isn't rocket science ...

Also, why doubt the intelligence of the OP?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
If you read the OP's posts carefully, you'll see the difference is small, and he's using the balance control on his amp to correct it.

I suspect the cartridge is far from being "shot", but is either misalgned or has a difference in output between left and right, which, as I've already pointed out, is not unknown. I also suspect that, being the cheapest cartridge in the AT range, the output difference isn't corrected as well as in the more expensive cartridges. That said, if the OP is really unhappy with it he should move up to one of Regas own cartridges. They have the advantage that the Rega headshell is designed for them so no alignment is necessary, only setting tracking weight.

Jamie LF

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again everybody, for your replies and advice.

I've decided to return this TT and have arranged for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC in exchange. I've heard numerous issues with Rega's QC since looking into the matter. The Pro-Ject also has adjustable bias and azimuth, so it's good to know that any issues can be resolved with a setup. I think I'll be happier without the plug and play option!

Thanks again!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jamie LF said:

I've decided to return this TT and have arranged for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC in exchange. I've heard numerous issues with Rega's QC since looking into the matter. The Pro-Ject also has adjustable bias and azimuth, so it's good to know that any issues can be resolved with a setup. I think I'll be happier without the plug and play option!

Thanks again!

Also check out the review of the Pro-Ject Essential MK III turntable/arm/cartridge (£239) in the January issue of HiFi News & Record Review (page 68 and still on sale where I live).

It gets their 'Outstanding Product' award.

chebby said:
Jamie LF said:

Thanks again!

Also check out the review of the Pro-Ject Essential MK III turntable/arm/cartridge (£239) in the January issue of HiFi News & Record Review (page 68 and still on sale where I live).

It gets their 'Outstanding Product' award.

HFN&RR still available in most decent retailers. Just picked up mine in WH Smith at Bristol Airport.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts