Kudos C2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

Interesting choice.

Was reading today that the Naim roadshow at the dealer 'Cymbiosis' (in Leicester) were using Kudos C2 speakers exclusively with the naimuniti (+ Linn LP12/ARO + Stageline) demo to great effect.

The WHF review of the C2's suggests pairing with Naim also...

"Something like the Naim NAC122X/NAP150X pre/power combo, or the Leema Tucana would be perfect."

Your missus would love a simple one box naimuniti system compared to all that other clutter you have now.

She would. But I don't want to sacrifice sound quality

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

JoelSim:She would. But I don't want to sacrifice sound quality

So what are you buying to drive the new speakers then?

A Ford Transit

A

Anonymous

Without wanting to sound like the only party pooper in the world, surely you have no idea what they sound like?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
He is taking a chance but they come so highly recommended by another publication that generally i find spot on for reviews as well as they love Arcam FMJ too :)

If i ever do decide to upgrade my speakers i would certainly try out some Kudos C1's or if i ever see a good bonus again the C10's.

A

Anonymous

I was convinced I'd love the Arcam A38 and Spendor A6s but that's far from the truth after hearing them! Then again, no risk no life, eh?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:They would have to be close to walls unfortunately

Just noticed this comment when re-reading the posts.

All the reviews and discussions I have read (so far) have made a point about keeping these speakers 0.5m or 18" from walls and toed in. Looks like all the Kudos models are extremely room dependent.

(The standmount models seem to differ with some preferring them close to a wall and some not.)

Another thing that came from that Signals link I posted earlier is that they don't respond well to 'funky' speaker cables or mains leads.

Better add all those to your 'sell list' and get some plain fare.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I read that C2's need space as well. Not sure why the Dali's went out of favour but if it makes life fun then why not try them.

It seems the popular thing generally to prefer floorstanders. Ive so far preferred the balance of standmounts and find floorstanders a tad over bassy but then maybe ive not heard the right ones.

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:I read that C2's need space as well. Not sure why the Dali's went out of favour but if it makes life fun then why not try them.

It seems the popular thing generally to prefer floorstanders. Ive so far preferred the balance of standmounts and find floorstanders a tad over bassy but then maybe ive not heard the right ones.
Well, that makes two of us and I've heard some expensive floorstanders. Perhaps the key is a pair of 2k floorstanders with some monster amps.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:He is taking a chance but they come so highly recommended by another publication that generally i find spot on for reviews as well as they love Arcam FMJ too :)If i ever do decide to upgrade my speakers i would certainly try out some Kudos C1's or if i ever see a good bonus again the C10's.

ÿ

That's correct. The review alerted me and I wrote to several dealers and to say they were all gushing is an understatement. Besides, they have about 24 hours on them and I got them for £1,400 inclusive of delivery, so quite a saving and actually only about £60 over the cost to the dealer. If I really don't like them then I won't lose anything selling them on.

I also explained my system to the dealers and they all said they would sound great, and I gave them the opportunity to suggest 'better' speakers at that price range and none did.

Oh well, we'll see. I will report.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:crusaderlord:I read that C2's need space as well. Not sure why the Dali's went out of favour but if it makes life fun then why not try them.It seems the popular thing generally to prefer floorstanders. Ive so far preferred the balance of standmounts and find floorstanders a tad over bassy but then maybe ive not heard the right ones.Well, that makes two of us and I've heard some expensive floorstanders. Perhaps the key is a pair of 2k floorstanders with some monster amps.

The Dali's haven't gone out of favour. I just saw the review and fell in love. I prefer floorstanders and they will be 30cm from the back walls. I did enquire about this, and the reports suggest 12 inches or so is the minimum.

Anyway, as I said, we will see. And we're planning to move in a few months anyway so I will choose a house to suit hifi.ÿ

A

Anonymous

As I said but it didn't get noticed, the port on the C2 is on the underneath of the speaker making positioning easier than the C1 or/and the C30, plus Kudos can supply port tuning aids to suit your room so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, just experiment a bit with toe in, I use very little.

A

Anonymous

auditioned a pair of Rega RS 3's at a dealers and when I asked if they stocked Neat Motives to match Naim kit , I was told that the key Kudos engineer once worked for Neat and that consequently the sound signature is similar

they raved about Kudos which they stocked ( no surprise there )

A

Anonymous

Hope the new speakers go well.

just been looking for the watch out of interest. Looks nice, but i'm guessing pretty expensive!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:Hope the new speakers go well.just been looking for the watch out of interest. Looks nice, but i'm guessing pretty expensive!

EDITED BY MODS - ...and at this point the House Rule about trading kicks in.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
peebs:
auditioned a pair of Rega RS 3's at a dealers and when I asked if they stocked Neat Motives to match Naim kit , I was told that the key Kudos engineer once worked for Neat and that consequently the sound signature is similar

they raved about Kudos which they stocked ( no surprise there )

Well if the Kudos are similar is signature to the Neat Motives then i think any owner should be well pleased. I have become a massive fan of the Neat Motives both on the demo but since then i have not heard standmounts i prefer over them up to £1k anyway. They dont get too much publicity on this forum but they are cracking speakers.

Sounds like Kudos could be a perfect upgrade path for me one day then when i have a bigger listening area for them. Always nice to have a plan !

I will be very interested to hear the outcome.

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have to confess that a pair of C2s (or C1s, or possibly C10s, whatever will work best) have been on the top of my audition list ever since attending a Naim HDX roadshow last year, at the fab 'HiFi Sounds' in Stockton, where the Cardea range was also being demoed.

At the top of my list for two (very non-hifi) reasons:
- They're designed and built just down the road from me, well 40 miles away. I'll always favour locally produced items, assuming they still cut the mustard. My hifi rack was sourced from 'Custom Design', less than a mile away. If Kudos don't do it for me, my next stop will be Neat Acoustics who are also nearby.
- I had a long, fascinating chat with Kudos designer Derek Gilligan that evening. What a mind-boggingly fantastic bloke. I very nearly handed over my money there and then!

Sadly, the money had to go on some photo equipment - it's my job, so needs must. But I really must borrow a pair for some home listening as I have the cash sitting in a bank; but alas redundancy may be just around the corner - again (all those working in press & publishing know what a shambles the industry is in), so good sense must prevail....or possibly not!

Sorry for the rambling diatribe.

Cheers,
Tony

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fast eddie:not sure you'll be getting a reply.

Ok that sounds - possibly - a little sinister. Maybe I missed an episode.

If it is not against the rules, could you enlighten me? (Nothing bad, I hope he is well.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts