Question Knocking on things to define quality (?)

AJM1981

I was watching a review online last week by a guy from kind of popular channel. He was comparing normal bookshelves with some Klipsch speakers. His opinion was that the Klipsch were overpriced due to the *knock* *knock* more hollow cabinet whereas the other speaker was heavier and more massive.

Sometimes I have the idea this tradition of knocking on things has passed on from generations from the stone age till now (stone age people always won by the way)

Given that the klipsch uses a horn and a different design in general there should also be a different more open and less massive tone while knocking on it.

I don't believe that knocking on gear in general does something to define the quality at all these days. But I could be dead wrong.

abacus

All box cabinets resonate, the knock just indicates which is the better damped, (The more expensive by and large the better the damping) however while higher damping is better its effect can be reduced by proper design. (Electrostatics etc. don’t have cabinets as such)

BTW: If you want to add damping to your speakers (To give a better knock performance) just get some sound damping pads and tick them to inside walls of the cabinet. (Just don’t be surprised if it sounds worse)

If it’s the site I think you mean, it used to be great, but now it is just a joke and best ignored.

Bill

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Something we all do to one degree or another I think, I often judge car build by the quality of the door handles as it's the first touch-point!

The only problem doing this with speakers is that different manufacturers have different techniques for creating their sound - some prefer thin and light build, using the cabinet resonances while others go heavy or use lots of bracing to minimise resonance. All things being equal it's an understandable simple gauge of quality, just not the full picture. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts