Klipsch RF-82 and Celestion DL-8 for Music

iantot

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
For the third time lol. been having problems posting. I have a pair of Klipsch RF-82 powered by a Yamaha HTR-6180 and a pair of Celestion DL-8 speakers powered by a vintage Marantz 2220b, the Klipsch' sounds amazing with movies but harsh and bright with music compared to the Celestions, which are really awesome for music. I even used my girlfriend to do a blind test, she too found the celestions sweet and accurate.

My question is, are Klipsch supposed to be like that? or is it because I'm using the wrong amp? is there anything I could possibly do to make the Klipsch more musical than the celestions? Has anyone owned celestion speakers? Thank you very much guys

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried to power the RF-82's with the Marantz amp? In my opinion Marantz amps sound generally a bit "softer" than Yamaha amps, so that might make a bit of a difference. I myself have Klipsch RF-82's powered by a Yamaha RX-A2020, and I like the sound for music. I guess it also has a bit to do with preference of sound really...

I like the Yamaha-Klipsch combination, I only get harshness with certain tracks on extremely high levels of power, but overall they sound really musical to me. You could also try to play a bit with the toe-in of the RF-82's. Generally, horn speakers sound a bit less harsh with less toe-in, so you might try that as well. Though I think switching the amps will make more of a difference.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Klipsch are horn speakers with very high sensitivity and sound best with low powered valve amps. They sound horrible with solid state amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts