KLH Model 5

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the KLH Model 5 and am waiting to receive them. I've seen in one review that it doesn't matter much which amp you're using as long as it has enough power.

I was wondering if I can use my Marrant PM6005 or if I need to expect to be disappointed with it. I have never had a high end amp and I don't know how much it can affect experience.

D

Deleted member 116933

I purchased the KLH Model 5 and am waiting to receive them. I've seen in one review that it doesn't matter much which amp you're using as long as it has enough power.

I was wondering if I can use my Marrant PM6005 or if I need to expect to be disappointed with it. I have never had a high end amp and I don't know how much it can affect experience.

I've seen a few reviews about them and they're meant to be nice speakers. I have a very similar (in approach but a little more sensitive ) Klipsch heresy 3's, and being a sensitive design yes you can pretty much use any amp with them. BUT that doesn't mean they don't like quality amps and that you can't tell the difference between amps on them. I run my Klipsch for instance with a 23watt class A Sugden. Along with my 20-year-old NAD 320bee and the differences are quite pronounced. Both have more enough power and that's not what I'm talking about here, when using speakers such as these you really start to notice all the little things like attack and decay along with tone, you really hear the light and dark and space around the sound and every amp is different in this regard. But above all the dynamics is what you will notice the most so the amp needs to be fast. Hence i like class A's always-on nature

It's not about price when dealing with speakers such as these it's about the pallette and what the speakers have to work with. Coming from a design background it's like going from only having two spectrums of colour RG and then going to RGB and have the full range of colours at your disposal. but in general despite what people say you do generally get what you pay for in this world.

The bottom line it really matters but whether the amp is a good match or not only you can decide, I suspect they will want a nice rich amp that will fully saturate them. See how you go listen and see if there is anything missing or if you feel they can give more. I don't think anyone here will be able to give you hands-on advice. You'll be ahead of the curve.

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Potentially you might be selling those speakers short with the Marantz. Once you have spent some time with the marantz / 5s it would be worth asking trying to demo the speakers with amps your dealer feels would be good matches. It might give you a feel of what you may or may not be missing and you can take it from there. Not sure what your front end is but Same principal will apply

Reactions: mizzor

manicm

You're pairing a budget amp to a mid-high end speaker - brutally blunt the Marantz is not going to get the most of the speaker. Save up for a more substantial amp to pair.

Reactions: mizzor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts