Question Kenwood Amp +JPW speakers vs Akai amp + speakers

rashnxt004

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi all
I am a newbie to the whole hifi thing.. so started dirt cheap; After looking around found some used equipment: Kenwood ka-v3700 amp, JPW ML310i speakers, Akai AA-M3L amp and Akai SW-TM3. Bought em all for about £50.
Currently using Kenwood and JPW; I think the Akai looks better but it has volume buttons while Kenwood has a knob.. there is something 'cool' about them knobs lol.
In terms of sound I think both speakers are good. I know these are pretty basic equipment but coming from Anker soundcore BT speakers I feel quite good... Just wondering how low in the food chain I am though.. :p ?
Anyway it's only the start of a (hopefully) long journey. If I am to get rid of an amp and speakers which one would you recommend I keep?
Thanks
jpw.jpg
kenwood amp.jpg
akai amp.jpg

Hi all
I am a newbie to the whole hifi thing.. so started dirt cheap; After looking around found some used equipment: Kenwood ka-v3700 amp, JPW ML310i speakers, Akai AA-M3L amp and Akai SW-TM3. Bought em all for about £50.
Currently using Kenwood and JPW; I think the Akai looks better but it has volume buttons while Kenwood has a knob.. there is something 'cool' about them knobs lol.
In terms of sound I think both speakers are good. I know these are pretty basic equipment but coming from Anker soundcore BT speakers I feel quite good... Just wondering how low in the food chain I am though.. :p ?
Anyway it's only the start of a (hopefully) long journey. If I am to get rid of an amp and speakers which one would you recommend I keep?
Thanks
View attachment 4442
View attachment 4441
View attachment 4440
I think only you can answer that one.
however, whatever you do, keep the JPW speakers.... :)

Reactions: rashnxt004
They are all pretty budget items from several decades ago. However, if they’re working well you got a good buy. And most of us started with something modest.

The Kenwood amp looks more traditional but it’s an AV amp. Often they had inferior amplifier circuits because there are so many more connections , and more processing too. The Akai amp styling is very much of its day. DAD as a source is almost unknown! And the controls aren’t exactly obvious in their operation.

I suspect I’d prefer the JPW speakers, but the Akai pair might play louder if you have a large room, or like rock/metal. Try to hear a few current designs at somewhere like Richer Sounds to see if you feel you’re missing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: rashnxt004

rashnxt004

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
They are all pretty budget items from several decades ago. However, if they’re working well you got a good buy. And most of us started with something modest.

The Kenwood amp looks more traditional but it’s an AV amp. Often they had inferior amplifier circuits because there are so many more connections , and more processing too. The Akai amp styling is very much of its day. DAD as a source is almost unknown! And the controls aren’t exactly obvious in their operatio.

I suspect I’d prefer the JPW speakers, but the Akai pair might play louder if you have a large room, or like rock/metal. Try to hear a few current designs at somewhere like Richer Sounds to see if you feel you’re missing out.
Thank you..will check it out.
I'm not keen on loud playing; Usually very low while working... but yes occassion outbursts do happen..
I've never heard of the JPW until I bought it. The moderator also mentioned about it. What's so special about them?

rashnxt004

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Also, I am thinking of adding a DAC(AudioEngine D1 or Schiit Modi or Fiio K5 Pro or something else?). I really want to.. but not sure if this basic setup will show any difference with a DAC. Thoughts?

Jigs

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi all
Thanks
View attachment 4442
View attachment 4441
View attachment 4440
Nice speakers.

Thank you..will check it out.
I'm not keen on loud playing; Usually very low while working... but yes occassion outbursts do happen..
I've never heard of the JPW until I bought it. The moderator also mentioned about it. What's so special about them?
As Al has said, and in the UK we almost always preferred British made speakers to Japanese ones. Yours might be from when the original business changed and they became a brand name rather than a true legacy of the original business that was so well regarded. There seem to be videos of their history that you can watch if you’re curious for more. I’ve a hunch they became a discount brand, like Gale and Mordaunt-Short, but I can’t be sure (and haven’t time to research).

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
JPW went out of business in 2007. They were originally based in Plymouth and later moved across the river Tamar to Saltash in Cornwall. At one time I believe their cabinets were made in Dartmoor prison.

Reactions: Al ears
JPW went out of business in 2007. They were originally based in Plymouth and later moved across the river Tamar to Saltash in Cornwall. At one time I believe their cabinets were made in Dartmoor prison.
That sounds familiar. Did the name get sold to Richer Sounds, or is that my memory playing tricks? Do the ones pictured above look like ’originals’ to you, because the ones that got the raves were all the very ‘homemade’ looking British boxes, whereas those above look like Chinese plastic to me.

That sounds familiar. Did the name get sold to Richer Sounds, or is that my memory playing tricks? Do the ones pictured above look like ’originals’ to you, because the ones that got the raves were all the very ‘homemade’ looking British boxes, whereas those above look like Chinese plastic to me.
They are indeed the later 310i, and still British I believe
The original 310, from the '80s was boxier and had a different tweeter.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes, never actually owned any, I went the Heybrook route instead.
I realise it's an old thread but. I owned a pair of AP2s. They were sealed boxes and used Vifa tweeter and woofer units. The cabinets were veneered, not vinyl wrapped and nicely made. I had the marque 2 model where the active electronic gubbins were removed whereas my brother-in-law had the original versions with the circuitry provision for active crossovers, hence the name AP, active or passive operation. I found the sound signature very shouty with the treble unit overwhelming the bass unit. They were very detailed, though.

Satanh636

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site
Hi all
Thanks
View attachment 4442
View attachment 4441
View attachment 4440
I would get set of Kenwood tower speakers to match or a pair of Technics , bookshelf speakers are very low quality and don't give you the full range sound a tower speaker would

Satanh636

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site
I would get set of Kenwood tower speakers to match . Kenwood is the most underrated brand , due to audiophiles giving bad rating because of issues with the Kenwood VR 400 to VR 500 series having issues with the remote , which could be fixed in less then 5 mins by opening the receiver up and reheating the cold cracks on for the remote sensor with a soldering pen . Dont listen to those knocking Kenwood they made some of the best receivers , they were just as good if not better then pundits favorites like Marantz and Pioneer , the model you have is a great receiver if you doubt the quality listen to it and make up your own mind

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts