keith Emerson has passed away

• Thread starter keeper of the quays
  • Start date
K

keeper of the quays

Very sad news....i thought tarkus one of the finest pieces of music ever written in the progressive genre...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm not a prog fan, but I like most of the first The Nice album 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack', and he was undoubtedly a great keyboard player.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
What the hell is going on?! The greats are all dying. Not a huge fan of everything he did, but for me, he was a keyboard giant. The first two ELP albums still get played here, and I still thoroughly enjoy them.

RIP Keith.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
What the hell is going on?

People are getting old and dying, Freddy.

Have a think about who's still alive but getting pretty old, then you'll realise there's a fair few that'll be popping their clogs sooner rather than later. I know it sounds a bit morose, but I'm just trying to prepare you. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm not a prog fan, but I like most of the first The Nice album 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack', and he was undoubtedly a great keyboard player.

Quite agree, brilliant keyboard player. I liked 'Five Bridges' better.

RIP Keith.

You gotta love 'Flower King Of Flies', if only for the track title.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Have a think about who's still alive but getting pretty old, then you'll realise there's a fair few that'll be popping their clogs sooner rather than later. I know it sounds a bit morose, but I'm just trying to prepare you. *smile*

Well yeah, I know that, but even so...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Very sad news....i thought tarkus one of the finest pieces of music ever written in the progressive genre...

Being reported as a suicide (apparently found with a single gunshot wound to the head) and that he had been suffering from depression and an ongoing degenerative nerve condition that made him unable to play. Very sad, if that turns out to be the case.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Well yeah, I know that, but even so...

It's a sad feeling, because you start feeling old when some of your musical heroes die. When Bowie died, I suddenly thought about some of the really big names in music, and how many of them are still alive, but getting old. All of The Stones, 2 Beatles, and Dylan to name but a few.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

spiny norman said:
keeper of the quays said:

Being reported as a suicide (apparently found with a single gunshot wound to the head) and that he had been suffering from depression and an ongoing degenerative nerve condition that made him unable to play. Very sad, if that turns out to be the case.

Agreed.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I thought it was suspicious when no cause of death was announced and I thought it might be a suicide...then that is terribly sad.

The first two Nice lps are all I have by Keith Emerson,,,yes yes, BBB, I love 'Flower King Of Flies' too! The Nice were very cool when I was 14 but then it all got rather tedious with the bombastic ELP and I gave up. He could play though, no doubt about that.

Of course they're all dying...they're all knockin' on a bit.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
If only he had lived in a country with strict gun laws.

There's no shortage of countries with stricter gun laws where the suicide rate is higher than in the US, but thanks for twisting this thread to make a political point.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

See, I don't necessarily see ELP as an entirely "prog" band, per se. I can definitely hear Jazz/Classical influences.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
but then it all got rather tedious with the bombastic ELP and I gave up.

See, you call it bombastic. I call it dramatic *smile*

Ok the first ELP album is ok...but Emerson is largely held in check by the other two. That's all I'll concede. I'm sure there's musical merit in some of the others, but it's just not for me....and it goes on and on and on. School friends tried to force me to listen to it; I said, 'No, No, No'. It's good we all like different stuff, even those of you with bad taste! *biggrin*

spiny norman said:
TrevC said:
If only he had lived in a country with strict gun laws.

There's no shortage of countries with stricter gun laws where the suicide rate is higher than in the US, but thanks for twisting this thread to make a political point.

Aye, plenty of sympathy there I feel. What has laws of the country got to do with a depressive individual? Slightly less readily available ways to end it all? Tosser!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:

Ok the first ELP album is ok...but Emerson is largely held in check by the other two. That's all I'll concede. I'm sure there's musical merit in some of the others, but it's just not for me....and it goes on and on and on. School friends tried to force me to listen to it; I said, 'No, No, No'. It's good we all like different stuff, even those of you with bad taste! *biggrin*

Jim, FWIW, I'm not going to say it was all great, far from it. I just get a little irritated when folks make comments based on impressions instead of actually listening to the music itself. Me, I couldn't care less if the artists were pompous or conceited, I only care about the music, and if it pleases my ears.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:

Jim, FWIW, I'm not going to say it was all great, far from it. I just get a little irritated when folks make comments based on impressions instead of actually listening to the music itself. Me, I couldn't care less if the artists were pompous or conceited, I only care about the music, and if it pleases my ears.

Of course...of course and you're right of course. And it's only music. And two-thirds of the world go to bed hungry. And It ain't no hangin' matter; it ain't no capital crime. I know...I know. It's just a luxuriant first-world problem. I just have this thing about the music business feeding us mediocre stuff which doesn't enhance the quality of our lives. I'm reminded of the brilliant Tom Waits quote: 'The world is a hellish place and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering. Replace writing with music and that's my point in a nutshell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts