KEF T Series

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have any direct experience of the KEF T101c or its big brother T301c. These flat speakers certainly fit the bill from an aesthetic point of view as a centre speaker, but has anyone heard what they sound like?

They sound very good considering their extremely slim dimensions. To get the best from them, a good subwoofer will be needed that can handle higher crossover points - if you're sticking to a budget you can use KEF's own, but the SVS range of subs work great with them and will allow you to get more from them. I know that sort of doesn't make sense, but it's true! For smaller speakers, a higher crossover point is needed in order for the speakers not to be receiving lots of low bass notes. The less bass they have to do, the easier the load is on them (and your receiver). This forces the sub to cover more frequencies, and as it's a bigger driver, it usually can. Some subs are purely designed for low, low bass and aren't very good higher up the bass range - whereas others have been designed to be better higher up the bass range.

The SVS subs are high output, low distortion, and cover a wide range of frequencies. The SB1000 at £519 covers 24Hz-260Hz +/-3dB. this will allow you to use 150 or 200Hz crossover points with the T Series. This may not be on your radar initially as you may already have a sub or might be budget limited, but is worth considering later on, depending on the performance if your existing sub.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I was considering one as a thin on- (rather than in-) wall centre as I have a joist issue that prevents me fitting a truly central in-wall. But in the end I just made my own 2-1/2 inch deep frame to mount another Yamaha NS-I960 (same as my built-in FL and FR) into.

The KEF centre model is exactly the same as their left and right models, but with a grille with a rotated logo. If it had been me, and I was using the KEFs for FR and FL, I would have bought two pairs of the regular T301 models, used one pair for the FL and FR, one from the second pair as my centre, and kept the spare one as a, erm, spare.

Benedict_Arnold said:
I was considering one as a thin on- (rather than in-) wall centre as I have a joist issue that prevents me fitting a truly central in-wall. But in the end I just made my own 2-1/2 inch deep frame to mount another Yamaha NS-I960 (same as my built-in FL and FR) into.

The KEF centre model is exactly the same as their left and right models, but with a grille with a rotated logo. If it had been me, and I was using the KEFs for FR and FL, I would have bought two pairs of the regular T301 models, used one pair for the FL and FR, one from the second pair as my centre, and kept the spare one as a, erm, spare.
You can use 2 speakers as centre, one above and one below the screen. Son_of_SJ has done this and he says the results are excellent, the vocals are localised to the centre of the screen.

bigboss said:
You can use 2 speakers as centre, one above and one below the screen. Son_of_SJ has done this and he says the results are excellent, the vocals are localised to the centre of the screen.
The only issue there is if they're a different distance from the listening position - if one is further away, it could "smear" the sound. Ideally, as in using two subs, both should be equal distance from the listening position. With large screens, the one above the screen is usually further away.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ Just to be clear, I would expect an "accoustically transparent" PJ screen to cope with speakers behind it, but I expect a wallpaper TV will probably need speakers above and below.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Tried that but the Memsahib wasn't having it. Plan B is to get a huge screen and a 4K PJ at some point. When I do that (right after Jimmy Hoffa leads Lord Lucan and Shergar down Wall Street, probably), I plan on mounting two units wired in parallel symmetrically either side of the troublesome stud.

If, instead and as I hope, 120-inch-plus "wallpaper" TVs become just truly wallpaper "dumb monitors" without tuners, speakers, amplifiers etc. and affordable, Plan A is that I will just chop into the plasterboard, cut out the offending stud and put horizontals above and below where I want the centre speaker(s) to go. Reinforcements for hanging the TV can go in at the same time. The new TV will hide my amateurish plastering skills. Hopefully ;-)

Have to pick a weekend when she's away though.... ;-) ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts