Kef Reference 205/2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Wow!

Well that's your speakers sorted for life! I bet they sound better with the Weiss as a source.

If you ever get the itch to upgrade, you should try the MF 35i, which sounds wonderful with the 205/2s and has more current than the Sugden.....but that's for another day.

Once it settles in, let us know how it sounds...I'm intrigued by what tipped the balance in favour of the 207s, though they will be brilliant in the size of room you have.

Cno

First hanks for all the advice. To answer your question, I had a fantastic listening session (with a much better source than when I listened to the 205s), so I really got to know how they sounded with the Sugden. What tipped the balance is that I could get he 207s for the price a pair of new 205s (they are one year old)... So thought I couldn't go wrong as seems that they are more of the same and I have the space for them :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
CnoEvil said:
Wow!

Well that's your speakers sorted for life! I bet they sound better with the Weiss as a source.

If you ever get the itch to upgrade, you should try the MF 35i, which sounds wonderful with the 205/2s and has more current than the Sugden.....but that's for another day.

Once it settles in, let us know how it sounds...I'm intrigued by what tipped the balance in favour of the 207s, though they will be brilliant in the size of room you have.

Cno

First hanks for all the advice. To answer your question, I had a fantastic listening session (with a much better source than when I listened to the 205s), so I really got to know how they sounded with the Sugden. What tipped the balance is that I could get he 207s for the price a pair of new 205s (they are one year old)... So thought I couldn't go wrong as seems that they are more of the same and I have the space for them :)

I take it that with a better source (what was it btw) and different cables, the brightness all but vanished. There is also the fact that the Weiss has an innate musicality and flow, that would work well once set up in your house.

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Source was a Mark Levinson transport coupled with an exotic high end DAC (can't recall the brand). I am currently listening at home with Weiss -> Sugden -> Kef and yes it is very very good (until next time the upgrade bug pops by)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
frogfish said:
(until next time the upgrade bug pops by)

Well at least you know if you need to upgrade, your speakers are sorted :)

...and the Weiss isn't too shabby, so all he needs now is a spare £10k for amplification (I've a few ideas). >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
Ok guys, give it a go... I'll monitor the used market :)

Sugden LA-4 Pre + MPA-4 Monos

Electrocompaniet EC 4.8 Pre + AW 250R (or AW 180M Monos)

Musical Fidelity Primo Pre + AMS 35P (AMS 35i might also be worth trying)

McIntosh C2300 pre + MC 275 (bridged mono if necess)

Audio Analogue Maestro Duecento SE Integrated

Plinius M8 Pre + SA 103 (can be bridged if necess)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
frogfish said:
Ok guys, give it a go... I'll monitor the used market :)

Unbelievable, we replied the same thing at the same time :dance:

I can confirm the Plinius M8PRE + SA103 is a great match (listened with Kef ref 205/2)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I forgot one - Classe CP800 + CA 2300

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
A lot of suggestions there ! Why the need for a separate pre-amp ? The Weiss can feed a power amp directly I think.

I think you could be right*.

You might have just saved yourself half the cost :bounce: ......doesn't that make you feel better! :)

Audio Analogue also do a power amp version.

*Edit. You might find this interesting:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?46234-Weiss-DAC202

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
MF AMS35P at www.jordanacoustics.co.uk used for just under 3K.

Good luck.

Cheers

Mac

You're getting as bad as me! :shifty:

I'm trying!

grin.gif

Failing miserably though... came to this post too late, otherwise I would've promoted Harbeth

shifty.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts