KEF Reference 201/2 vs KEF R 900

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
An interesting read...

Just not as interesting as Cables. *unknw*

Infinitely more interesting, especially as an owner of R300's. I didn't know they'd been around so long, not that it matters. Wouldn't mind hearing these 201/2's though. I've always liked the Kef 'sound'. I suppose if I had one wish, it would be that the R300's were a little more..'open', but it's a minor gripe. That said, good positioning is crucial, I've found.

We somehow had more interesting threads back then, when the likes of Wishtree, Neuphonix, Gregvet Acalex and Roby etc were about.

Certainly more civilised! This thread proves that, only constructive comments. I was out of the HiFi scene for many years, although I've always loved music, but I've been amazed at the controversy surrounding the cable topic. Personally, I'm a 'non-believer', but that's just me. Given the relative differences between sources and speakers, and the massive differences in environment, it all seems a bit...petty. Bigger fish to fry
wink_smile.png

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I always thought kef reference quite a bit better than the r series speakers unsurprinsgly. But I prefer the ls50 over the r300 and I've never really liked the r700/900 speakers which I found there are better sounding speakers for same money, if not as room filling sound. Blades are great but then bloody expensive so they should be great.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I always thought kef reference quite a bit better than the r series speakers unsurprinsgly. But I prefer the ls50 over the r300 and I've never really liked the r700/900 speakers which I found there are better sounding speakers for same money, if not as room filling sound. Blades are great but then bloody expensive so they should be great.

I've said it before, that I thought the LS50's sounded 'boxy', and much preferred the R300's. That said, I recognise that the LS50's are very popular and get very good reviews, so it's my failing, I guess. I'm happy though *yes3*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I've said it before, that I thought the LS50's sounded 'boxy', and much preferred the R300's. That said, I recognise that the LS50's are very popular and get very good reviews, so it's my failing, I guess. I'm happy though *yes3*

I'd say it wasn't your failing, but the failing of the demo.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:

I'd say it wasn't your failing, but the failing of the demo.

I suspect you are entirely correct. I heard them at AudioT, along with several other makes, Proac, Dynaudio's, PMC's etc. The listening area was in their showroom, their listening 'room' was being refurbished, so not great. That said, the LS50's didn't sound as 'open' as the others I listened to. I bought the R300's from Sevenoaks, after auditioning several more speakers, where they have a dedicated listening room. As I said, I like the Kef 'sound', and for me, the LS50's didn't have it. Would be interesting to listen to them at home though, I suspect that I might take an entirely different view. These things are of course, entirely personal, but I love the scale these R300's offer, something entirely lacking from many that I listened to, given the constraints.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes I can understand how the richness of the r300 would appeal against the ls50 which are a bit leaner but more detailed. It's a preference thing, as they are both at a similar price, so I think you were back there you rightly make the same personal choice and good for you. I just like the detail of the ls50s. I heard the ls50w's today at indulgence. £2k and better than devialet phantom golds double the price, a similar wireless active, in the oppostite room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes I can understand how the richness of the r300 would appeal against the ls50 which are a bit leaner but more detailed. It's a preference thing, as they are both at a similar price, so I think you were back there you rightly make the same personal choice and good for you. I just like the detail of the ls50s. I heard the ls50w's today at indulgence. £2k and better than devialet phantom golds double the price, a similar wireless active, in the oppostite room.

Your assessment of the LS50 is right (imo), but I have never heard them sound boxy, which is why I think there was something wrong with Freddy's demo.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Your assessment of the LS50 is right (imo), but I have never heard them sound boxy, which is why I think there was something wrong with Freddy's demo.

I have a theoretical solution. Of those that I listened to at that particular audition, the LS50's sounded the least open (boxy). Such auditions are always comparative. My general opinion is that speakers have become much more 'open' in their presentation, at the expense of the lower frequencies (smaller drivers/cabinets). The audition room was quite large, and maybe, just maybe, the LS50's were just lost in the room, and weren't able to cut through in the same way as the others that I listened to. Either way, nothing impressed in that room.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I get your thinking and can understand with the relative size of these two cabinets how you come to your views rightly. On the thing with expense of lower frequencies I get that too with the drive for further insight probably selling in demo rooms more than bass response. That's why I'm really sold on and love pmc designs or those with similar transmission lines, where you use a relatively small bass driver but the tl design and port augments the forward bass power of the driver. So small cabinet, big sound, hopefully job done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts