Kef Reference 2.2 (Two Two) speakers: any good?

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have posted here previously, looking for advice on speakers to partner my Leema Antila IIs CD player, and Chord 2650 amplifier. I had some very good advice, unfortunately due to the central heating system packing up my budget is now a bit diminished.

The speakers I'm looking to replace are ATC SCM 11s. I need something with considerable 'presence' at low listening volumes, as I tend to listen to music when the children are safely upstairs asleep. Also something which can fill a decent sized room (5x5 metres), and suitable for a wide variety of music.

I have seen a pair of Kef Reference 2.2s on eBay, for a reasonable price (currently £500). They date from 2003, and I have been unable to find any magazine reviews (WHF, Stereophile, etc). Does anyone have any experience of them, and if so would you recommend them?

I have read that this Kef range is quite difficult to drive. My amp's official figures are 2x120W RMS into 8 Ohms, 2 x 170w RMS into 4 Ohms, and 2 x 220W RMS burst into 4 Ohms. I assume this is enough clout?

I have also read that the 4.2s of this range were excellent speakers, but I don't know whether that extends to the 2.2.

Otherwise I'll keep looking on eBay, or I'll have to wait several months until my bank account has recovered.

Many thanks for your help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Like most Reference models, they're not hard to drive as most of them are quite efficient, but they do require good quality, stable amplification that can control the speaker properly and not start sweating when they demand more current. I used to use 4.2's which were 92dB sensitivity if I recall correctly, but finding amplification to work well with them was a bit of a nightmare. In the end I found that Bryston worked best for me. Your Chord amplification should be fine.

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks. I've seen previous posts where you speak highly of the 4.2s: does that extend to the 2.2s? Do they compare well to current speakers in the £1500-£2200 range (which is what I was looking at before my budget was blown on other things)?

I had been thinking of demo-ing new speakers like the Spendor A6, PMC Twenty series, and ProAc Response D18. I don't know if the Kefs are comparable to speakers in that price bracket, or whether speaker technology has moved on.

I realise it's always better to demo, I'm just a little impatient to upgrade sooner rather than later. But possibly I may be better saving my cash for something new in a few months time.

Hi MP1968

KEF Reference Model 2.2 are excellent speakers (good old KEF Reference :star: ) and ones which your Chord Electronics CPM2650 amplifier is perfectly capable of controlling.

Btw, for even greater presence at low listening levels then i feel that you should also consider ATC's SCM40 monitors. Fwiw, i used to own KEF Reference Model 3.2 speakers which i found to be easily superior to Model 2.2's and yet SCM40 monitors (which i replaced Reference Model 3.2's with) reproduce music and movie soundtracks to a far higher level of performance (particularly noteworthy is the greater definition and quality of mid and low frequency reproduction of SCM40's)
smiley-smile.gif

You'll probably have to spend more however if you like the accuracy of ATC's monitors and want even more then i believe that SCM40 monitors are worth the wait.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MP1968 said:
Many thanks. I've seen previous posts where you speak highly of the 4.2s: does that extend to the 2.2s? Do they compare well to current speakers in the £1500-£2200 range (which is what I was looking at before my budget was blown on other things)?

I had been thinking of demo-ing new speakers like the Spendor A6, PMC Twenty series, and ProAc Response D18. I don't know if the Kefs are comparable to speakers in that price bracket, or whether speaker technology has moved on.

I realise it's always better to demo, I'm just a little impatient to upgrade sooner rather than later. But possibly I may be better saving my cash for something new in a few months time.

Tricky one. With the right amp, the bass power of this range is phenomenal, even if it might not be as tight as the best. Some might argue that the KEF R900 or R700 will equal them, or better them in some areas. Many speakers won't have the same wide dispersion and off axis response as the KEF's.

I think you'd need to be looking at the likes of ProAc D28's and PMC OB1i's to even approach some aspects of the older KEF models, although some newer speakers might be a little better regarding some aspects. It's really down to what you expect, what you require, and what suits your amp. All you can do is listen.

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for both your comments. As much as I like the sound signature of the ATC SCM11s, I believe the ATC SCM 40s sell for around £2500, which really is out of my price range.

So I guess I have to offset the likely price of the 2.2s (around £500-600) against the price for current speakers (perhaps £2000), and your feedback that the 2.2s were excellent speakers in their day (and indeed are a match in some areas for some current speakers which are somewhat more expensive).

I suppose the bottom line is that I could buy the Kefs, and if they don't suit my set up then I can put them back on eBay. A slight hassle, but not impossible.

Incidentally, as regards what I'm looking for from this upgrade: more authority and presence at lower listening volumes, a bigger soundstage, good projection of vocals, good controlled bass (without boominess: the 2.2s have a boundary compensation device which may help this), and an ability to convey more complex 'big band' music like Jools Holland's latest CD. Also an ability to project the music without the speakers appearing to actually be there.

Does that help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts