KEF R300 - My views

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was looking for some speakers after I sent back the Reference 201/2 due to some challenges.

I heard KEF R700 and I loved the sound and with 201/2 at home, I knew what to expect from R300s.

I did a demo with my Wife and we instantly knew that they are the speakers to go into our collection / room. I love the Pearl Lite amplifier (especially after owning the orignal Pearl amplifier, the lite seems a bargain) and the demo was with Pearl Lite and R300s. The combo was an instant hit.

Coming from Tannoy DC6T top end harshness, the R300s provided a relief on the shoutiness of top end and the three way design has enough heft in the lower frequencies. They are mostly forgiving but revealing to the extent of enjoyment.

Compared to 201/2 - R300s are more volume, more bottom end, warmer and a little less resolving. The bass is not as taut as 201/2 but all this is in comparision. In isolation they are almost very good at the price point that it was an instant buy

Compared to Blades - Yeah, heard Blades too. 201/2 does not sound like Blades. Reference 201/2 sound signature is very different. However the R300s sound signature is almost identical to the Blades. Blades sounded amplified version of R series (with more scale and headroom). I can even go to the extent of saying that getting an R900 with a great sub + equalization will give comparable performance to blades. If I ever have that kind of space, then R900s would top my list.

R300s seem to be a little bit finicky about the amplifier / cabling. The did not like the CA-2100 in comparision to the Pearl Lite as Power amp. Now I have to use the CA-2100 with RCA inputs from CP-800 and they are fine. May be my XLR cables from QED are not liked by the R300s. 201/2 loved those XLR cables!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good to read your more in depth thoughts.....sounds like the R 300 are a great match. The slightly smoother sound and fuller bass, make them very versatile and easier to live with, unless you go bonkers with your amplification.

I think the 201s need even more power/current (as in CA2300), to really hear how powerful they can sound. I also prefer the way they sound on the end of Class A, or powerful Valve amps, as this produces a terrifically musical experience. I believe that if you'd ever heard them on the end of your Pathos Inpol, you wouldn't have been able to part with either.

I look forward to the results of Roby's demo of 35i + 205s, as this is gettting close to what I've been recommending for a while.....and am interested to see if anyone else agrees with me!

As always, synergy is key to success

Cno

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good to read your more in depth thoughts.....sounds like the R 300 are a great match. The slightly smoother sound and fuller bass, make them very versatile and easier to live with, unless you go bonkers with your amplification.

I think the 201s need even more power/current (as in CA2300), to really hear how powerful they can sound. I also prefer the way they sound on the end of Class A, or powerful Valve amps, as this produces a terrifically musical experience. I believe that if you'd ever heard them on the end of your Pathos Inpol, you wouldn't have been able to part with either.

I look forward to the results of Roby's demo of 35i + 205s, as this is gettting close to what I've been recommending for a while.....and am interested to see if anyone else agrees with me!

As always, synergy is key to success

Cno

You are totally right. I guess as suggested by David and you, KEF 201/2 need CA-2300 to make them sing which is only fair. However, I am now a days into less is more (given my relocation situation). Since I am satisfied with my Pearl Lite Amplifier, I will be letting my CA-2100 to go (easier for me to relocate! )

Will all my experiments till date, as everyone had experienced, Speakers are the key. So I would love to have some collection of speakers to suit the music / mood. Especially the planar and open baffles are of interest to me.

However I will not be buying on impulse any more (fingers crossed) but only after an audition.

Goldenear Aon3 are still on hot seat for me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts