Kef R-500 vs Precision 6.2 - and why are there no reviews of the Tannoy Precision-range?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
As stated. I am searching for a new pair of floorstanders and I am divided between the Kef R-500s and the Tannoys. I have heard other Tannoys and Kefs and I like both, but anyone here who've heard them both?

Also, why are there no reviews of the Precision-range to be found?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
No one?

I find it very odd that there are noe updates or reviews of the precision-range - and little information at all.

Are there not one of the better choices at the price?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the updated Tannoy Precision range is still quite new to be honest. Maybe look for reviews of the Revolution DC6T SE, they seem to have very similar specs and drivers which may give you an indication of the overall presentation.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoy Precision has been out in stores for a few months but the review sets may not be with the press or indeed the reviews may not have been printed just yet.

Have you been to hear the specific models? I have heard them both and can see the attraction to each model - what electronics do you have and what are you expecting from the sound?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I want clear, smooth, dynamic sound with soundstaging and power. I want enough bass to fill my 25 sq mtr room. I have heard the old DC6T Rev Sigs and loved them, but they lacked the plinth and were unstable.

I have only got a Rega DAC currently. I have a hard time deciding between either DC6T SE's with a Brio-R or getting the Precision 6.2s and finding a suitable amp? (Arcam?). However, the 6.2s are pricy enough to catch on many competitors in their price range versus the DC6T SE's.

I have a hard time nailing down the differences and there aren't any shops nearby.

The Kef R500 I have been told are more directed towards pop and modern music and I guess they don't have the power and bass of the 6.2s?

Vampa

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have auditioned the Rega Brio-R/DAC with both the Tannoys Rev DC6T SE and the KEF R500s and you can't go wrong with either. The Tannoys were more defined, pristine vocals and definition. They needed to get loud to show the bass tough and it was so-so. The KEF R500s were to me more balanced, better was, warmer sound. Personally decided for the R500s, but it is a matter of taste. As said, both were good with the Regas. I would definitely recommend them.

TRENDING THREADS