KEF Q300 placement advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking for placement advice on a pair of Q300's. Currently they are 12" away from the front wall and at least 3ft from the side walls on 26" stands, but they seem a bit boomy! So I was just curious what other have done with regards to placement.

TIA

Mike

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
All rooms are different. A speaker 12" away from a wall in one room might sound nicely balanced, but 12" in another room might be booming like a boy racer's Saxo.

What stands are you using? Are the spikes and everything nice and tight? Have you tried angling them in slightly? Have you tried using the supplied bungs? Which speaker cable are you using! (not saying cable will make a huge difference, but multiple things might be adding up here).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply David.

My stands are SANUS SYSTEMS SF-26B Steel Speaker Stand. I have a wooden floor so I'm not using spikes. I use blu-tack to fix the speakers onto the top plate. I could spike the top plate. The speakers are toe'd in. I've not tried the bungs yet, that was my next thought before moving them further into the room. My speaker cable is some old K20 Linn.

A

Anonymous

how long have you had your speakers/electronics? it could just be a case of running in.. the kef q's take an age to fully run in.

A

Anonymous

@chebby - thanks ill give it a try with a coin under the spikes!

@thestig08 - I've had them a couple of weeks so they probably have 50-70 hrs on them so far.

Thanks for the input everyone, time to go experiment!

A

Anonymous

dmormerod said:
@chebby - thanks ill give it a try with a coin under the spikes!

@thestig08 - I've had them a couple of weeks so they probably have 50-70 hrs on them so far.

Thanks for the input everyone, time to go experiment!

they need more time imo, mine took a good couple of months before they tightened up.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I have Custom Design stands, I bought their own floor protectors, £40 from a dealer in 2006 but cheaper from their own site. hey are chrome plated and work fine with my oak floor

A

Anonymous

Just thought I'd update.

I spiked the stands onto pennies (for now at least) to protect the wooden floor, dumped the blutack and spiked the top plate, move the speakers another inch or so out from the front wall and the difference is huge!! So thanks everyone for the advice about the spikes, it's worked wonders, the bass is way more controlled.

Mike

A

Anonymous

I use blutack to hold them in place on my stands, so can you buy spikes for the top plates of your speaker stands? i didnt know that it can make difference..

A

Anonymous

Yes, my stands came with little grub screw spikes for the top plate that you adjust with an allen-key.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spikes for the top plate don't tend to make as much difference as the floor spikes as they're not as sharp, but decoupling the stand from the top plate can have its benefits, so trying the top spikes will be worth it.

I'd be careful with blutak as it can pull veneer of speakers when you're trying to take them off the stands if you're not careful!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts