KEF Q150 vs Q350? which one to go for? currently have Coda 7 SE but want similar but better sound

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Fellow KEF enthusiasts

I'm not an audiophile per se but I used to own some Gale speakers like lots of people did back in the 00s when they used to buy them from richer sounds etc. I then saw an advert for the Coda 7 SE and my hifi mentor at the time told me that I would love the sound of those ones. So I took the plunge and invested in the 7 SEs.

I still own them and still love their sound. I like that they have the right amount of bass and I'm not spending crazy money on my setup, used to enjoy them with a Yamaha AX-396 which was a pairing made in heaven for me and now I own a RX-V377 and I'm looking to setup a budget home theater setup.

Which speaker would you say is closer to the sound of the Coda 7 SE? before you tell me to listen to my own ears I can't listen to either of those speakers as I don't have any retailers that stock them near me (I checked my local richer sounds and even their warehouse ran out..).

I would appreciate any and all feedback about this. I've seen quite a few reviews and I love the idea of the amazing soundstage of the Q150s but although some reviewers say they have a lot of bass some others say they don't have any bass(most reviewers say they have decent bass). So the other recommendation is to go for the Q350s which nowadays seem to be only £50 more expensive.

What do you think I should do? I'm trying to find a place where I can listen to both of them but it's becoming very problematic!

twinkletoes

Kef's sound has matured over the years, they won't sound anything like the old coda range which where quite warm and lacked a little top end sparkle. Quite a "safe" speaker if memory serves me correctly. The newer q150 and 300 are a much more focused listen but niether are bass monsters nore do they handle extreme volume terribly well so if you listen into the mid 80db range and above id be looking else where.

So you need temper expectations a little.

They are a lovely speaker that will give you a full and engaging sound that will be far more focused than your coda's, as there a point source design, some like it some don't, but they won't shake your soul! they can just about replicate a bass guitar lets put it that way.

They are solid "budget" design

Id also take a look at Q acoustics and mission

Reactions: mossi

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, first of all for a change-improvement of sound you need better amp. Koda 7 is still good speaker, even old. New Q 150 or 350 are less lively they have more massive more dynamic, precise sound, mainly version Q 350 is "meatier" than small sister 150. So it is more complex topix than just change of speaker. Q Acoustics, Focal and Dynaudio are very good alternatives. Especialy Q Acoustics 5020 is in my opinion better alternative than Q350 itself. They sound better when listened less loud. And they are more universal. BR.

Reactions: mossi

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi, first of all for a change-improvement of sound you need better amp. Koda 7 is still good speaker, even old. New Q 150 or 350 are less lively they have more massive more dynamic, precise sound, mainly version Q 350 is "meatier" than small sister 150. So it is more complex topix than just change of speaker. Q Acoustics, Focal and Dynaudio are very good alternatives. Especialy Q Acoustics 5020 is in my opinion better alternative than Q350 itself. They sound better when listened less loud. And they are more universal. BR.
I'm mostly interested in using it for films/tv shows and music will be rare I believe given the use. Do you think I need a different/better amp to the RX-V377 I have now?
I mean I am looking for another newer style receiver that can do HDR too so if you got any recommendations I'm all ears

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Kef's sound has matured over the years, they won't sound anything like the old coda range which where quite warm and lacked a little top end sparkle. Quite a "safe" speaker if memory serves me correctly. The newer q150 and 300 are a much more focused listen but niether are bass monsters nore do they handle extreme volume terribly well so if you listen into the mid 80db range and above id be looking else where.

So you need temper expectations a little.

They are a lovely speaker that will give you a full and engaging sound that will be far more focused than your coda's, as there a point source design, some like it some don't, but they won't shake your soul! they can just about replicate a bass guitar lets put it that way.

They are solid "budget" design

Id also take a look at Q acoustics and mission
Do you feel it would be good to use for TV shows/films? mostly without a subwoofer, I use it when I watch films my wife doesn't want to watch but when we all watch stuff I'll have the sub off so looking for something that would work in relatively small-ish room without a sub for most of the time.
The Coda 7 SEs can work fine without a sub they have decent bass so I don't miss it but when watching something like a blockbuster with lots of explosions and whatnot I'd use the sub then

Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Do you feel it would be good to use for TV shows/films? mostly without a subwoofer, I use it when I watch films my wife doesn't want to watch but when we all watch stuff I'll have the sub off so looking for something that would work in relatively small-ish room without a sub for most of the time.
The Coda 7 SEs can work fine without a sub they have decent bass so I don't miss it but when watching something like a blockbuster with lots of explosions and whatnot I'd use the sub then
Yeah you'll be ok like I say nice full sound just dont turn up the wick excessively.

Id also look at the mission LX-3 MKII a little cheaper but just as capable it not a little more so.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I'm mostly interested in using it for films/tv shows and music will be rare I believe given the use. Do you think I need a different/better amp to the RX-V377 I have now?
I mean I am looking for another newer style receiver that can do HDR too so if you got any recommendations I'm all ears
Yes, rx-v377 is basic AV amp, average sound. Nothink, where you need hifi speakers. Kef 350 is wasting of money for him. So simple it is. 15 years ago I had Denon thx amp for some 1300 eur and Cabasse home cinema speakers, set for some 2500 eur. With blue ray, it was good. But got me borring, I do not need any cinema anymore. Just hifi 2 chanel I use today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts