Kef Q100 vs Monitor Audio Bronze BX2?

A

Anonymous

The main difference is the kef is almost twice the price of the bx2 and should be a better speaker, i owned a pair of kef Q100's, they are a fine speaker, you should try to demo both.

A

Anonymous

Problem is I live in Christchurch, NZ and I can't demo them both. I can get the Kefs online new condition for $500 and they are $900nzd normally. How are they for bass?

I have a Sansui AU-217II on the way. Any thoughts what might work to make a good 2 channel system? Speakers, CD player?

Also picked up a pair of Sansui S-311 speakers for $15nz (less than 2 big mac combos). They actually have resonably nice treble and mid range (vocals on coil by Opeth sounded really nice. Good price to preformance, definatly need something way better tho.

A

Anonymous

I found the kefs to be excellent for bass, the q100 is a great all round speaker, the only reason i changed to monitor audio rx1's was because i listen near field and found them a little shouty, i couldnt listen for long periods, i dont think you will be dissapointed with the q100's!

A

Anonymous

jimm said:
I found the kefs to be excellent for bass, the q100 is a great all round speaker, the only reason i changed to monitor audio rx1's was because i listen near field and found them a little shouty, i couldnt listen for long periods, i dont think you will be dissapointed with the q100's!

Hi, have you compared the RX1 to the Gold series GX50 and GX100? Have you listened to any other bookshelves(Proac D1, B&W PM1 etc) before deciding on the RX1? Would appreciate your thoughts on the RX1, the sonic attributes of it in comparison to other bookshelves.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I had a demo of the rx1 in store and only compared it to the q100 and rega rs1, i found the rx1's to have better bass and a slighty warm sound which i liked, i have not heard the more expensive gold series or the models you mention from proac and B&w, if i upgade in the future i will look to spend around £1.000, i quite fancy a pair of proac studio 115.

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I work at a hifi-department in a retail store. (Hifi-light)

I know the RX1 and BX2 by heart now and heared them with many amps.

The BX2 is a genuine all-rounder with amazing detail for it's price, and the bass coming out of these little things is silly.

They shame a lot of small speakers (same-priced) in the bass-department but they don't sacrifice the mids and high for it.

You need to amp them properly, getting good results with Denon amps in the store. (like pma 710)

The RX1 is equally impressive and goes higher in the treble and is a bit more spacious and very bassy as well. The main issue

with these is that you really need to listen to the amp -> speaker combo, take the wrong amp and they sound dull and uninteresting. Monitor has a distinct warmer sound but can have excellent detail when partnered right. I wouldn't recommend the RX1 to be a full all-rounder (in my opinion ofcourse). The BX2 on the other hand I find a little easier to match then the RX1. Also warmer but less then the RX1 and therefore in my opinion I liked more genres better on the BX2.

A

Anonymous

Jimm and Solarglider,

Thank you for the information. I’m looking for the best bang for the buck monitors in the Monitor Audio line of speakers. Apparently the Bronze BX2 appears to be just that, offering a lot of performance at a relatively low price. I’m trying to solicit more information on the Silver and Gold series. To be frank, the piano ebony finish on the Gold series is a huge selling point that really did it for me.

Good to know the BX2 is a better all-rounder than the RX1.

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I own Kef Q100 Connected with Yamaha As500. Can Anyone suggest a nice Cd player within 300GBP. I want the cd player to have a bit of sparkle in the top which I lack for the moment.

Thanks...

titan_uk

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi peeps, I'm also considering the Monitor bronze or the Rx1 - Solar have you had chance to try these with the pioneer vsx 920/921 or has anyone else? would they be a good match?

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ryder2

Don't know if this helps or not but I was in the dealers a couple of weeks ago and had a listen to both the GX100 and GX200. They were connected to Audiolab hardware and to me sounded great. Very open and detailed. Not a hint of hardness / brightness though. Interestingly I didn't think that the GX200 was any more bassy than the GX100 despite the huge difference in size. In fact I preferred the smaller speaker.

I have a pair of RX6's which I think are excellent. They sound different to the GX speakers but as I use a completely different amplifier and the room is not ideal, it's hard to really compare them.

Fair to say that the GX speakers would definitely be on my shortlist if I were to upgrade.

HTH

Regards

Steve

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Have you managed to listen to the smallest bookshelf in the GX gold series, the GX50? If the differences between the GX100 and GX50 are not too large, the scale, bass punch and dynamics etc., I would be more inclined to go with the latter. The main attraction of the GX series of speakers (for me) is the piano ebony finish.

Though I have to admit there are other similarly priced booksheves new or used for me to choose from. Proac D1 and D2, Harbeth P3ESR(I don't want another Harbeth since I already own a larger bookshelf), Amphion Argon 2 Anniversary, Dynaudio midrange stuff and the list goes on. Guess I will have to make a decision soon and get this settled once and for all. Will retire for good once I get all this sorted out.

Cheers.

stevieg330 said:
Hi Ryder2

Don't know if this helps or not but I was in the dealers a couple of weeks ago and had a listen to both the GX100 and GX200. They were connected to Audiolab hardware and to me sounded great. Very open and detailed. Not a hint of hardness / brightness though. Interestingly I didn't think that the GX200 was any more bassy than the GX100 despite the huge difference in size. In fact I preferred the smaller speaker.

I have a pair of RX6's which I think are excellent. They sound different to the GX speakers but as I use a completely different amplifier and the room is not ideal, it's hard to really compare them.

Fair to say that the GX speakers would definitely be on my shortlist if I were to upgrade.

HTH

Regards

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts