professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my existing surround package with the following:

Fronts: KEF iQ5SE's
Centre: KEF iQ6c
Rears: KEF iQ8ds's

This would be driven by an old Denon AVC-A1SE amp and used 99% for movies (have a PS3 for DVD / Blu-Ray playback).

This will cost around £1,100 (unless I can get a good deal), thus my question is, does this sound like a good setup or would I be better off getting an all in one speaker package (such as the KEF KHT3005SE or Monitor Audio Silver packages)?

Or maybe perhaps matching the rears with the fronts and getting KEF iQ5SEs for the rears as well (since they are about the same price...)

Any advice would be much appreciated

Antony

A

Anonymous

Not personally sampled the iQ5's.................. but I am a huge fan of my 3005SE package.

Amazing sound quality from a style package.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that's what prompted the question really as I've seen WHF's review on them and 3005SE does look very good! However, my main concern is the sound quality rather than style (and I'm also of the big wooden chunky box does look beautiful club too!) so wondered if anyone had experience of matching the separate KEF Q series speakers together to make a surround package? In theory, it should be good, but wondered if anyone could confirm?

Oh, I should say, my existing sub is an Acoustics REL Q150E - obviously this would be replaced if I bought the package but would probably keep this if I went for the separates...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]

Oh, I should say, my existing sub is an Acoustics REL Q150E - obviously this would be replaced if I bought the package but would probably keep this if I went for the separates...

[/quote]

Remember you can buy most packages minus the sub (altho the package deal can be better/not much different) ior sell tha package sub (eBay etc) if your own is better and agile enough.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, I hadn't considered that. In which case, if the saving wasn't a lot, I would audition both the existing sub and the the package sub and do away with one of them assuming I got the 3005SE package.

Any comments on the Q series separate package and whether they would work together well? I gather the Q150E sub was well regarded in its past (and I certainly enjoy its deep rumblings!) so I would guess it would fit in okay here.

Again, thanks for your comments.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oooh, now I've just spotted the B&W 685 Home Theatre setup which looks very tasty (though I would go for 685s for the rears as well instead of the 686s I think).

Any one any experience of these? My main concern is home theatre, not music (I rarely listen to music in the living room) - would the KEFs or the B&Ws be better suited for this?

There's just too much choice and I have no easy way to get to a dealer to listen for myself!!

A

Anonymous

i have 685s frony and rear and after a 40 hour run in they sound awesome

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for this, I had a feeling they would! Are using a B&W centre or sub? If so, which one? Was thinking HTM62 for the centre. I might just keep my REL sub for the moment and see if it fits, saving some money for now if it sounds okay!

My other issue is where to get them. With no car, home delivery is necessary, preferably ordering by internet / phone. Anyone know any good dealers in the south london area which fit the bill?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts