KEF New Q 5.0 or Monitor Audio Apex 5.0 for Games

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, which set is better: KEF New Q 5.0 (300 and 200c) or Monitor Audio Apex 5.0 for games ???

Things I'm looking for: three-dimmensional soundstage, immersion, detail in low levels.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
danielmb said:
for games ???

After doing a bit of trial and error with 5.1 set ups myself I've found that using 5 identical satellite speakers work best for games.

Most 5.1 setup are designed for movies and have a big pair of front speakers for the main effects, a dedicated center speaker (which is usually louder but has less bass) and a pair of small rear speakers for the surround effects. This works well for movies but the sound effects you get in games have very different requirements. Games need a good 360 degree stereo image and speakers with perfect integration so that a noise in the game will sound exactly the same no matter which direction it is coming from.

Here's a link to some 'before and after' photos of my gaming set up which used to have a dedicated center speaker which has now been swapped for one which matches the other four satellites. www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/surround-sound-pc-gaming-setup-updated

A

Anonymous

As you are after 5.0 I.e. No subwoofer, I agree the Q series is the way to go, and I'm an ex-Apex owner.

A

Anonymous

I didnt mean I am not gonna use a sub, I should've said that before. I already have one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
danielmb said:
Things I'm looking for: three-dimmensional soundstage, immersion, detail in low levels.

Normally, I'd say this would be personal preference, but from your description, the Q's are going to fit the bill perfectly. I have used a Q300 AV set up (5x Q300's) at home, and for the money, nothing can touch it for effects placement, thanks to their UniQ speaker arrangement. They walked all over my M&K's (over twice the price!) for audio quality - and they're designed purely for AV! Under £1k, the Q's are the most three dimensional speakers I've heard. This was the first thing that struck me about them, and it's something I notice every time I hear them. Give them a good amp, and you'll be over the moon with them. If you're not happy with them, you'll spending a lot more money!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You could buy 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers and use 5 of them to give you 5 identical satalites.

You can then keep the 6th speaker as a spare in case one of the others gets damaged.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts