KEF LS60 Wireless

TenTonTarantula

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Seems like a lot of compromises needed to make this all work in a slim form factor...but then why be so beholden that form factor? When have tiny cabinets ever been anything but inversely correlated to sound quality?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
6k and still no in-room EQ?

Hopefully, they'll support them longer than the original LS50 wireless what was that 5 years!

6k is a lot for what is effectively a landfill product in the 10 years (at best) Sorry to be cynical but these have planned obsolescence written all over them, the same for any of these all in one box. Naim, Cyrus, linn. And I'm not about that they days. We should be doing better in 2022. 6K i'd expect them to a be a hand me down product.

Hopefully they will produce a "Dumb" pair

Sfhussain

May 12, 2022
Visit site
Seems like a lot of compromises needed to make this all work in a slim form factor...but then why be so beholden that form factor? When have tiny cabinets ever been anything but inversely correlated to sound quality?

It helps for the speakers to disappear in terms of soundstage. A large thick cabinet will inevitably introduce their own interference to the sound, unless they are damped to oblivion like the Q Acoustics flagships. Ofcourse the slim cabinets can't fully eliminate this problem just minimises it, otherwise you'd need speakers floating on thin air. If you hear the more expensive KEF Blades you'll know what I'm talking about. The speakers practically (acoustically) disappear leaving you with just pure sound. But yeah sonically in terms of dynamic range size does matter.

Jacore

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I feel like this is more aimed at "lifestyle" than Hi-Fi. As long as KEF keep making products for the true Audiophiles as well (separates) and doesn't turn into another Harman Kardon I'm fine with that. For 6k to have a plasticky remote control though, may be an issue for their customer base who want a "statement peace".

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Amazing how many illiterates here. If any of you read the review, there is basic and advanced equalisation on offer.

As to the design well I think it's fantastic.

"illiterates"! i read the review

"It also gives owners the opportunity to set up the LS60 Wireless for their particular room layout. You can go into the app and choose to either configure a Normal or Expert EQ setting. The former offers basic adjustments that take into account factors such as the speakers’ distance from your wall, the size of your room and how well damped it is. The latter offers more extensive tweaking including treble trim, phase correction, and the ability to alter the amount of bass extension."

Sorry, that's not an EQ, that's just fancy bass and treble knobs. All residing within an app. It's half baked and expect more for 6k, as I said.

Look at the Burchard a700 for how EQ should be done and Implemented. Custom programmable EQs are also available and can be stored and installed at a moments notice.

Design and look is a very subjective thing and as an industrial designer myself, sure out of context of use/ placement they're fantastic pieces of modern design. I'm dubious that anybody outside of a bach pad will be able to place them in their homes and not be an eyesore. Timeless these are not. Great modern design they are.

manicm

"It also gives owners the opportunity to set up the LS60 Wireless for their particular room layout. You can go into the app and choose to either configure a Normal or Expert EQ setting. The former offers basic adjustments that take into account factors such as the speakers’ distance from your wall, the size of your room and how well damped it is. The latter offers more extensive tweaking including treble trim, phase correction, and the ability to alter the amount of bass extension."

Sorry, that's not an EQ, that's just fancy bass and treble knobs. All residing within an app. It's half baked and expect more for 6k, as I said.

Look at the Burchard a700 for how EQ should be done and Implemented. Custom programmable EQs are also available and can be stored and installed at a moments notice.

Design and look is a very subjective thing and as an industrial designer myself, sure out of context of use/ placement they're fantastic pieces of modern design. I'm dubious that anybody outside of a bach pad will be able to place them in their homes and not be an eyesore. Timeless these are not. Great modern design they are.

Note the review mentions Expert EQ , The latter offers more extensive tweaking including treble trim, phase correction, and the ability to alter the amount of bass extension.

So once again, you did not read, if you interpret that as 'fancy treble and bass knobs', yes it's not full room EQ, but it's more than what you think it is.

Reactions: Mr. Reeee

justanotherhifiman

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
Not sure what all the antipathy here is about. Is there some separates tribalism in the air?

This is an extremely exciting product imo: Baby Blades combining the best aspects multiple product ranges and technologies.

I'm not sure what the concern about obsolescence is: I've had the original LS50Ws since launch and and still perfectly happy with them: Kef were happy to repair and service them out of warranty for a reasonable fee.

From a design perspective it's great to see them doing unique too.

This isn't for everybody, but it certainly looks superb addition to the hi-fi world. The review should also note that they have competition in Buchardt A700s as "full range" active towers at a similar price and I'd LOVE a comparison.

Reactions: davidf
This form factor has come about because of technology such as Uni-Core.

Smaller cabinets are generally less resonant and produce a more accurate sound.

6k and still no in-room EQ?

Hopefully, they'll support them longer than the original LS50 wireless what was that 5 years!

6k is a lot for what is effectively a landfill product in the 10 years (at best) Sorry to be cynical but these have planned obsolescence written all over them, the same for any of these all in one box. Naim, Cyrus, linn. And I'm not about that they days. We should be doing better in 2022. 6K i'd expect them to a be a hand me down product.

Hopefully they will produce a "Dumb" pair
With the LS50 Wireless 2 came far more mature and reliable software, which the originals couldn’t handle. I dare say there may well be room correction in the pipeline that could be added to the current system.

Although, the original LS50 Wireless aren’t “landfill” - you could completely ignore their software (apart from initial set up) and plug in a streamer like a Bluesound PowerNode or Silent Angel Munich/Bremen and enjoy a fully working system.

I feel like this is more aimed at "lifestyle" than Hi-Fi. As long as KEF keep making products for the true Audiophiles as well (separates) and doesn't turn into another Harman Kardon I'm fine with that. For 6k to have a plasticky remote control though, may be an issue for their customer base who want a "statement peace".
Or you could use your £1,000 metal/glass iPhone as a remote, as most probably will. Lots of products use plastic remotes, and many users thank God that they are relatively cheap when they lose them or the dog chews them up and they have to buy another one. Not good if it is a £400 lump of nicely finished aluminium. keeps the cost down too.

This type of product is designed for people who want something simple. They don’t want loads of boxes. They don’t want loads of cables. And they certainly don’t want some fiddly EQ system that needs a Masters degree or extensive training to use properly. KEF have done well to offer the “normal” EQ settings, as it states very simply what each control does, so that anyone can understand it. For those with a bit more knowledge, there’s the “expert” option. It is possible that future room correction may be in the works, who knows.

Most people will likely use the EQ to make the speakers sound how they want them to sound, for which there are plenty of ways to do this. Most won’t be worried about the peak they’ve got at 60Hz that they don’t know about.

I dare say these would be very popular in the many apartments in and around the Jewellery Quarter where I’m based. I could quite easily live with something like this at home, but I prefer multi-channel - which who knows, maybe that’s something else that’s being worked on within the app.

Reactions: nopiano

Sliced Bread

Not sure what all the antipathy here is about. Is there some separates tribalism in the air?

This is an extremely exciting product imo: Baby Blades combining the best aspects multiple product ranges and technologies.

I'm not sure what the concern about obsolescence is: I've had the original LS50Ws since launch and and still perfectly happy with them: Kef were happy to repair and service them out of warranty for a reasonable fee.

From a design perspective it's great to see them doing unique too.

This isn't for everybody, but it certainly looks superb addition to the hi-fi world. The review should also note that they have competition in Buchardt A700s as "full range" active towers at a similar price and I'd LOVE a comparison.

I guess it comes down to what you’re looking for and I appreciate this is very personal, But for me it’s the software and digital front end that introduces the obsolescence. Yes you can work around it with an external streamer in the future but that would detract from a product of this nature. Also if kef stopped supporting the Ls50 wireless 1 after 5 years then that is bad. Yes it will keep working but you’re at the mercy of your streaming service. If tidal for instance makes any changes which will require an update in the streamer then you’re screwed.

Personally would be far more impressed if these were active speakers at a slightly lower cost with the option for a digital from end handled by a small separate unit or expansion slot.

I would be interested to hear how this compares to the ATC scm40 /19 actives! In the long run that’s your competition once the inbuilt streamer falls out of support. If the kefs are better, then fair play.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
I guess it comes down to what you’re looking for and I appreciate this is very personal, But for me it’s the software and digital front end that introduces the obsolescence. Yes you can work around it with an external streamer in the future but that would detract from a product of this nature. Also if kef stopped supporting the Ls50 wireless 1 after 5 years then that is bad. Yes it will keep working but you’re at the mercy of your streaming service. If tidal for instance makes any changes which will require an update in the streamer then you’re screwed.

Personally would be far more impressed if these were active speakers at a slightly lower cost with the option for a digital from end handled by a small separate unit or expansion slot.

I would be interested to hear how this compares to the ATC scm40 /19 actives! In the long run that’s your competition once the inbuilt streamer falls out of support. If the kefs are better, then fair play.
I mentioned adding a streamer to an older pair in the specific case of the original LS50 Wireless as they most likely won’t be supported as long as the newer version, although, we’re not at the stage yet where these are no longer being supported - I’ll get in touch with KEF and see what the plans are. The original model was KEF’s first network/streaming product, so it was a learning curve, and they’ve learned a lot, so you will see the LS60 get support for longer than the original LS50. They know that just coming up with this type of product isn’t good enough - it has to be stable, and it has to have support further down the line. If not, it’ll fall flat on its rear end.

Even without its streaming section, I don’t see these as any competition for the likes of ATC - you’re virtually talking about old school hi-fi vs lifestyle. But the latter is where the market will go.

justanotherhifiman

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site

It just sounds like technophobia to me. If you don't like the app or streamer, you don't need to use them. You find an superior streamer, you can use that instead. My LS50Ws didn't become landfill when they broke out of warrantee.

I'm realising that the audiophile world is markedly pro hi-fi but anti hi-tech almost at an ideological level. I can understand a lot of the reservations but a lot of the opposition and mistrust is unwavering regardless of argument or evidence presented.

I bought the LS50Ws because they were LS50s with authoritative bass from DSP and perfect amplification (better than passives with 90% of amps under £2000 IMO). The built in DAC seemed fine, the streamer a bonus.

I believe technological advancements are positive to HiFi, and reshape the possibilities of cabinet design and domestic spatial constraints. Should be about music reproduction not just traditionalism.

P.S. The Kef control app is ok. I still use it on occasions when I'm not on the sofa (cooking etc). I tried the streamer app and didn't care for it. Sounds counter intuitive, but I literally use a Bluesound Node for streaming with them instead. I literally got Kef to repair them out of warrantee a couple of years ago, no problem.

TRENDING THREADS