KEF wireless speaker systems compared, from LSX II to LS60 – which one should you buy?

JusseP

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
Best wireless speakers in 2024
KEF - Insanely expensive, but great build quality and sound.
Wireless, but... Bluetooth 4.2 from year 2014
Wireless, but... Wi-Fi 5 from year 2014
Even some cheap wireless speakers have at least: aptX™, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Low Latency, etc.
Please, the high price should bring the latest features.

daveh75

Best wireless speakers in 2024
KEF - Insanely expensive, but great build quality and sound.
Wireless, but... Bluetooth 4.2 from year 2014
Wireless, but... Wi-Fi 5 from year 2014
Even some cheap wireless speakers have at least: aptX™, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Low Latency, etc.
Please, the high price should bring the latest features.

They're Bluetooth 5... and the reality is most people stick with the router their ISP provides them, so won't support WiFi 6 anyway and it adds very little that's worthwhile in a domestic setting

JusseP

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
They're Bluetooth 5... and the reality is most people stick with the router their ISP provides them, so won't support WiFi 6 anyway and it adds very little that's worthwhile in a domestic setting
LS60 Wireless is still BT4.2. The most expensive speaker. Or do they still have wrong info on their own web page. Even BT 5.0 is old tech... 5.3 was released in 2021. Expensive speaker should come with latest version with proper codecs. No idea how many versions there are LS50 wireless II, but it had BT 4.2 at release. Even checked out last summer and still had 4.2. Are there multiple versions of the same speaker with different components inside?

Wi-Fi 6 have so many features I personally need. No idea how companies that make their products wireless, lack the new features. Every wireless device I use have Wi-Fi 6 or 6e already. Even 6 is old tech now.

Edit. All the product manuals I downloaded from KEF page have Bluetooth 4.2 (Wireless II & LS60 Wireless). LSX II LT was only manual that said Bluetooth 5.0, but zero mentions about codecs. LSX II had Bluetooth 4.2.

Last edited:

daveh75

LS60 Wireless is still BT4.2. The most expensive speaker. Or do they still have wrong info on their own web page. Even BT 5.0 is old tech... 5.3 was released in 2021. Expensive speaker should come with latest version with proper codecs. No idea how many versions there are LS50 wireless II, but it had BT 4.2 at release. Even checked out last summer and still had 4.2. Are there multiple versions of the same speaker with different components inside?

Go on the Kef UK website, under specifications, the LS60, LS50 Wireless II, LSX II and LSx II LT all state they're BT 5.0
Wi-Fi 6 have so many features I personally need. No idea how companies that make their products wireless, lack the new features. Every wireless device I use have Wi-Fi 6 or 6e already. Even 6 is old tech now.

What WiFi 6 features is it you "need"?

JusseP

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
Go on the Kef UK website, under specifications, the LS60, LS50 Wireless II, LSX II and LSx II LT all state they're BT 5.0
I did and got the answer. KEF does some real BS, because companies always mention all their BT codecs, but KEF doesn't. They did this on all their Wireless speakers.

LS60 Wireless Speaker Firmware​

15-Dec-2023 Version 2.0
  • Bluetooth version updated to Bluetooth 5.0
  • Fixed Bluetooth connection issues
  • Fixed Bluetooth no audio when connected
Bluetooth 4.2 isn't something you can upgrade with a firmware update. It would require a hardware component change. KEF says they firmware updated Bluetooth 4.2 to Bluetooth 5.0, but it's not something that you can download. If you have 4.2 chip, you'll have 4.2. They're trying to fool people. It's sad because I love some of the KEF products. This is just unacceptable. Good thing is that they don't have this info on their manuals. Those still shows Bluetooth 4.2 (where I got my original data). Unless someone gives me hard proof that KEF is using BT 5.0 chip + list of BT codecs, I'll call this BS.

I use Wi-Fi 6 for multiple reasons. Distance + connection stability are massive deals for me, and high speeds on multiple other devices on the same network at the same time. Wi-Fi 6 stays stable, but 5 cuts when my work laptop uploads/downloads content, using Wi-Fi 6(e) at 800–1000 Mbps + local faster server access at the same time (multiple devices). I used to have Wi-Fi 5 devices, and they constantly had drops, but wifi6 and 6e with MU-MIMO... zero problems with the network + the range is just sick. Double the range in my house and also outside. Outside is important for speakers in the summer. Added benefits is the extra security.

JusseP

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
I asked detailed information from KEF, and even they didn't answer me Bluetooth 4.2 to 5 issue or information about what BT codecs their products support. I even added screenshot that showed side by side (manual with Bluetooth 4.2 highlighted + latest firmware update history showing Bluetooth 5.0 update). It's like they have no documentation about the whole issue and support did give out so weird absurd answer that show they have no tech knowledge about this topic.

elvisizer

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Bluetooth 4.2 isn't something you can upgrade with a firmware update. It would require a hardware component change. KEF says they firmware updated Bluetooth 4.2 to Bluetooth 5.0, but it's not something that you can download.
(abuse deleted by moderation) the speakers had bt 5 hardware in them. The software only supported 4.2. They updated the firmware to enable 5 in SOFTWARE, the hardware was already there. (abuse deleted by moderation).

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS