KEF LS50 Wireless II vs KEF LS50 Meta

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to buy the KEF LS50 Wireless2 but I see the LS50 Meta are much cheaper. I have a Marrantz PM6005 and a chromecast audio (this is all I need to stream). Is it worth the money to spend an extra £1250?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Absolutely yes imo. The Wireless Meta's amplification is superb and you get DSP/room correction, digital xovers etc etc.

A world class small system by most standards.

There is no way your Marantz (and many other amplifiers, regardless of cost), will come close.

That goes for both Wireless 1 and 2's.

No brainer imho.

Last edited:

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I agree with other comments above that the built-in amplification on the LS-50 Wireless (1 or 2) is far superior to most entry-level amplification, and it is perfectly integrated to the speaker(s) in a way that is difficult to match without spending at least twice that amount.

However, regarding the LS-50 W2 - I think the LS-50 W1 can be found much cheaper nowadays, and they have a USB input (which the LS-50 W2 doesn’t) which is superior to all other inputs on that speaker/system. If your source can output lossless to USB, I would still buy the LS-50 W1 today.

I have heard the W2 in a shop for a good 30 minutes, but not compared directly both systems side by side, so you may want to check with people who have tried both — as long as they have tried the USB input on the W1, which is the critical point IMO.

In short, I think the W1 on USB will sound better than a W2 on other inputs, for a lot cheaper. I would, however, recommend a decent USB cable to take full advantage of this setup.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I think a lot of comments about pairing metas with cheap amplification comes from Darko's review.

In it he kind of suggests the match with a 316BBE is almost the end game ... .

I like him and am a subscriber but on that one I feel he missed the bulls eye for a mile.

Whilst I have not heard that particular pairing I can not imagine ANY low cost/power amplifier can bring the results the active version can. - It may be entirely acceptable but is likely to short sell one of the best mini monitors in recent times.

Simply the implementation of carefully matched/developed active operation will yield superior results. That is without taking into consideration power and all the features.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I hope not but I do think you should try them next to passive version with your amplifier (or an amplifier that will be the equivalent value of the Wireless incl. the speakers).

When you do just bear in mind there are a variety of adjustments in the Active's app to match your room/preferences etc.

Please report how you get on.

eoktar

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect a one month old thread but didn't want to start a new discussion based on the same topic.

I am also having some trouble choosing between the two...

I already have a headphone system that consists of a Violectric V590 Pro & Gold Note DS-10 that is connected to a Roon Core running on an Intel NUC.

I want to extend the existing system so that I can switch the music between my headphones and a pair of bookshelf speakers depending on the situation.

Gold Note has a series of products that follow the same design language, a power supply and an amp (PA10 and PSU10 EVO), for the 10 series.

So basically I am trying to decide between pairing KEF LS 50 with Gold Note DS-10/PA-10 combo or getting LS50 Wireless II and connecting to it via network.

I wonder which would be the ideal solution for better performance. Can LS50 Meta paired with a good DAC/AMP combo perform better than the LS50 Wireless II or should I just go with the flow and buy the wireless version? Since costs will be virtually identical (Wireless II costs pretty much the same with the Meta+PA-10 combo) this is a question regarding pure audio quality rather than a price/performance related one.

Thanks.

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I dodge the question because I am not qualified to reply but I'd say that putting them in a suitable room is probably x1000 important and the wireless II are so convenient to use when streaming that this is worth a marginal change in sound representation

eoktar

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
What are those features and how do they apply to my use case? (The DAC I use already has streaming features built-in, has Roon support and has it's own app to control when necessary)

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
What are those features and how do they apply to my use case? (The DAC I use already has streaming features built-in, has Roon support and has it's own app to control when necessary)

Tone controls, DSP/room correction, Sound Pre-sets, speaker cut-off frequencies for integration with subwoofers ... and obviously amplifiers and Crossovers in the digital domain optimised for the speaker/drivers.

Last edited:
I’m more familiar with the previous generation passives and wireless, and there’s little doubt in my mind that on day 1 the wireless can yield better sound.

However, I’m less confident how it’ll be five years hence, when the passives will still be great and give their best with any fine amplifier, whereas what updates and redundancy will occur with the Wireless version is speculation.

On that basis, if you swap every few years get the Wireless, but if they’re keepers get the passives.

Reactions: Tinman1952

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I’m more familiar with the previous generation passives and wireless, and there’s little doubt in my mind that on day 1 the wireless can yield better sound.

However, I’m less confident how it’ll be five years hence, when the passives will still be great and give their best with any fine amplifier, whereas what updates and redundancy will occur with the Wireless version is speculation.

On that basis, if you swap every few years get the Wireless, but if they’re keepers get the passives.

The old audiophile Angst about redundancy.

Let's see, streaming technology has not changed much for years. Protocol updates can be made via updates. A good amplifier/speaker is still a good amplifier in 5 years.

That leaves whether you (me) can resist when the next 'best and greatest' is released ... or whether the manufacturer continues to support the product. - In the worst case scenario they don't but you still have a perfectly functional product until streaming technology completely changes and will not be backward compatible ... unlikely. That leaves future streaming services which may not be compatible if the manufacturer does not support the product anymore ... . There are (and will be) plenty of cheap streamers around which, as a Work around, can be connected.

That was for a 'worst case' scenario. You will not be left with a door stop.

Let's look at a more likely option; Any long standing manufacturer of mettle will continue to provide updates and support indefinitely. It doesnt cost them much to so. Updates will, at some stage, omit certain features that are reserved for 'the latest and greatest' ... that is to be expected.

Kef's original Wireless gets regular updates. The B&W Formation Duo does despite the app having been created by a part of Bowers & Wilkins that is not there anymore.

It will cost a manufacturer of good name potentially far more to abandon their customer base rather than providing a modicum of support.

Imho redundancy is a small factor compared to what you get.

It's usually our own desire for 'the latest ...' that is the issue and makes us spend money on first world stuff.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

+1 🙂

Reactions: nopiano

Tinman1952

The old audiophile Angst about redundancy.

Let's see, streaming technology has not changed much for years. Protocol updates can be made via updates. A good amplifier/speaker is still a good amplifier in 5 years.

That leaves whether you (me) can resist when the next 'best and greatest' is released ... or whether the manufacturer continues to support the product. - In the worst case scenario they don't but you still have a perfectly functional product until streaming technology completely changes and will not be backward compatible ... unlikely. That leaves future streaming services which may not be compatible if the manufacturer does not support the product anymore ... . There are (and will be) plenty of cheap streamers around which, as a Work around, can be connected.

That was for a 'worst case' scenario. You will not be left with a door stop.

Let's look at a more likely option; Any long standing manufacturer of mettle will continue to provide updates and support indefinitely. It doesnt cost them much to so. Updates will, at some stage, omit certain features that are reserved for 'the latest and greatest' ... that is to be expected.

Kef's original Wireless gets regular updates. The B&W Formation Duo does despite the app having been created by a part of Bowers & Wilkins that is not there anymore.

It will cost a manufacturer of good name potentially far more to abandon their customer base rather than providing a modicum of support.

Imho redundancy is a small factor compared to what you get.

It's usually our own desire for 'the latest ...' that is the issue and makes us spend money on first world stuff.
Digital audio and streaming is the fastest changing aspect of this hobby.
Not all manufacturers will keep up…or even want to! They would rather sell you the latest Mk2 version…..🙂

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Digital audio and streaming is the fastest changing aspect of this hobby.
Not all manufacturers will keep up…or even want to! They would rather sell you the latest Mk2 version…..🙂

Please explain/elaborate how streaming has changed in the last few years?

The only real change/addition to streaming technology I can think of is the addition of MQA, anno 2014. This is not a defacto implementation and requires a licensed product to unfold completely. Very good it can be too but that's an entirely other story.

What we really need in this country (UK) are better pipes for supplying (real) high speed networking and broadband rather than the mieserly ones which all to often are still so prevelant.

I use two active powered products which include streaming and DAC technology. One was originally launched 5 years ago, then my MK2 'superseded' it a year or so ago (they sound mostly the same, I tried before having committed myself). The other is some three years old since inception.

Neither one is outdated and I wouldn't expect them to be for a long time to come.

DAC's are released at a rate I change my underwear. We have long passed the audible limit of what is humanly perceptible, years ago. Its about paper specs now, no more. This and the fact many prefer very specific implementations ... and not always the newest ones. I am simplifying this but hopefully you get the gist ... .

Will they be leading edge in ten years? No, at least not from a DAC perspective but quite frankly I don't care as the benefits of such systems are so numerous and outweigh (for me) any unknown disadvantages somewhere far down the road. That plus they will still function perfectly.

Nothing wrong with the legacy separates route. I've done it myself and currently thinking of a third small passive system but if you have not used a decent active one made for home purpose (I don't think much of Studio stuff for home listening) you have done yourself a disfavour.

I rest my case, the sun is out and I have more interesting things to do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: manicm

manicm

I agree with RoA in that many indulge in hyperbole when it comes to redundancy. My HEOS sound bar is still serving me well after nearly 4 years. It’s missing MQA but I don’t care, at least until I replace it with a more traditional hifi streaming system.

Linn launched their native streaming app only about 4 years ago.

And if you want to persist with the redundancy argument then WiFi 6 has already rendered all streamers obsolete.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts