• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

KEF LS50 Wireless II vs KEF LS50 Meta

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
I wanted to buy the KEF LS50 Wireless2 but I see the LS50 Meta are much cheaper. I have a Marrantz PM6005 and a chromecast audio (this is all I need to stream). Is it worth the money to spend an extra £1250?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Absolutely yes imo. The Wireless Meta's amplification is superb and you get DSP/room correction, digital xovers etc etc.

A world class small system by most standards.

There is no way your Marantz (and many other amplifiers, regardless of cost), will come close.

That goes for both Wireless 1 and 2's.

No brainer imho.

Last edited:

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
When I first bought my LS50’s I had the PM6005, it didn’t work, not enough power to drive them. I wouldn’t recommend it with LS50’s at all.

Reactions: EricLeRouge

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
I agree with other comments above that the built-in amplification on the LS-50 Wireless (1 or 2) is far superior to most entry-level amplification, and it is perfectly integrated to the speaker(s) in a way that is difficult to match without spending at least twice that amount.

However, regarding the LS-50 W2 - I think the LS-50 W1 can be found much cheaper nowadays, and they have a USB input (which the LS-50 W2 doesn’t) which is superior to all other inputs on that speaker/system. If your source can output lossless to USB, I would still buy the LS-50 W1 today.

I have heard the W2 in a shop for a good 30 minutes, but not compared directly both systems side by side, so you may want to check with people who have tried both — as long as they have tried the USB input on the W1, which is the critical point IMO.

In short, I think the W1 on USB will sound better than a W2 on other inputs, for a lot cheaper. I would, however, recommend a decent USB cable to take full advantage of this setup.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
I think a lot of comments about pairing metas with cheap amplification comes from Darko's review.

In it he kind of suggests the match with a 316BBE is almost the end game ... .

I like him and am a subscriber but on that one I feel he missed the bulls eye for a mile.

Whilst I have not heard that particular pairing I can not imagine ANY low cost/power amplifier can bring the results the active version can. - It may be entirely acceptable but is likely to short sell one of the best mini monitors in recent times.

Simply the implementation of carefully matched/developed active operation will yield superior results. That is without taking into consideration power and all the features.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
I hope not but I do think you should try them next to passive version with your amplifier (or an amplifier that will be the equivalent value of the Wireless incl. the speakers).

When you do just bear in mind there are a variety of adjustments in the Active's app to match your room/preferences etc.

Please report how you get on.

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
I didn't take the passives one because I wanted something simple to use. Unfortunately the active's app room preferences is not doing much

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts