Kef ls50 versus ls50w

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Ive always liked the sound of the Kef ls50 which I've heard in lots of hi fi shops. A speaker that punches way above its weight and is a kind of benchmark at £800. Much better than the r series standmounts.

But if you paired a used amp around £1200 or a new one of the same price, could you match the sq of the kef ls50w or improve on it?

Has anyone done a test in considering the passive or active versions. I suspect you could if you paired it with a used amp around £1200 but maybe not if a new one of same price.

I've seen a frequency response measurement for the two, which is actually quite similar. Based on that, most people would expect them to sound nigh on identical, but they do sound different in other areas. Due to the set up that is possible via the control app, they can be made to suit virtually any type of room (and your own personal preference, if needed).

To me, the wireless LS50s sound like the passive LS50s should sound, but that end result varies depending on the amplifier used. I'd use a Class D amplifier with them as they tend to sound quite neutral and have plenty of output and control available, which the LS50s need - this brings the comparison much closer. I think you could probably get together a combination to sound like the passive LS50s in many ways, but it'd cost you more than £2,000, particularly when you have to factor in streaming capabilities as well as the DACs.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

That's interesting so they are probably bloody good value, even if expensive relatively speaking.

You can put together some nice, flexible combinations for £2k with the passive versions, but my advice would be they you'd be hard pushed to put together a system for £2k of similar quality (preferences aside).

More inputs and streaming services could be had by pairing up a Bluesound Node to a Cyrus One amp, which along with LS50s would come to £2k - this would be better for those wanting a flexible system where they can change what they want, when they want.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
You can put together some nice, flexible combinations for £2k with the passive versions, but my advice would be they you'd be hard pushed to put together a system for £2k of similar quality (preferences aside).

More inputs and streaming services could be had by pairing up a Bluesound Node to a Cyrus One amp, which along with LS50s would come to £2k - this would be better for those wanting a flexible system where they can change what they want, when they want.

but shouldnt in theory be anywhere near as good as the active versions with that electronics.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I bet that would be a very nice combo. I'd maybe go for that over the kef ls50w particularly with the mqa on the node 2. Not sure if the kef active version allows mqa. But I borrowed a node 2 and for a while I thought it better than my cyrus streamer on detail, if only let down by soundstage not as good. And with the Cyrus one too. I bet it would be a challenge to beat that system of ls50, node and Cyrus, for £2k

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
It would take a very expensive amplifier to combine with the passive LS50 to be able to match the qualities of the active LS50 IMO. I compared the LS50 / Musical Fidelity Encore 225 combination with the LS50W. The LS50W was clearly better in all areas IMO. The MF Encore 225 uses the same amplifier as the MF6si.

Have a look at the digital audio review site (http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/) where the LS50 was combined with several (expensive) amplfiers and compared with the LS50W by a reviewer who knows the LS50 very well.

Or have a look at: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/kef-ls50-wireless-speaker-review-my-speaker-of-the-year-so-far/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts