KEF LS50, Monitor Audio Silver 8, Tannoy XT6F

insider9

You're going to have to provide much more info than just what amp you're planning to use. Size of the room including actual dimensions, not just square footage would be a good starting point.

Why is the OP asking about two hefty floorstander and a compact standmount? The Kefs won't have the bass depth and the floorstanders won't have the agility of the Kefs.

First of all, the OP needs to decide whether he wants a small standmount or a floorstander.

hi guys, thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is the price range. I am ok with either floor stander or standmount.

Living room size is about 300-400 sqft, and connected to kitchen.

Asking for advice for the best sound quality. I listen pop, rock, hip hop, acoustics - pretty wide range.

I had the chance to try all 3 speakers, all 3 sounded great but has its cons.

eg. Tannoy XT6F - Bass a bit too heavy. was wondering if there is port bung to tame it.

KEF LS50 (tried the wireless version) - Separations is not as good.

MA Silver 8 - A tad bright.

Any feedback? Thanks!

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
Why is the OP asking about two hefty floorstander and a compact standmount? The Kefs won't have the bass depth and the floorstanders won't have the agility of the Kefs.

First of all, the OP needs to decide whether he wants a small standmount or a floorstander.

Because it may be in his price range and it sounds good

Just look at stereophile they rate them in the highest class A (Restricted Extreme LF)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2016-edition-loudspeakers#czF2rBIOkaERfLHA.97

gasolin

Pang Yip said:
hi guys, thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is the price range. I am ok with either floor stander or standmount.

Living room size is about 300-400 sqft, and connected to kitchen.

Asking for advice for the best sound quality. I listen pop, rock, hip hop, acoustics - pretty wide range.

eg. Tannoy XT6F - Bass a bit too heavy. was wondering if there is port bung to tame it.

Any feedback? Thanks!

Also condiser Dynaudio Emit M10 and M20 if you like a warm sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Pang Yip said:

Any feedback? Thanks!
Try the Amphion Argon 1 - they hang together nicely with a nice, even balance. I've been listening to the Argon 0 and they're excellent little speakers.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
a standmounter you should not miss:

DYNAUDIO EXCITE X18

another bigger:

MONITOR AUDIO SILVER 6

all these about in the same price you are looking but will you pay litle more and have the best speaker for acoustic music and a kristall clear sound like a scandinavian cold water stream you must chose this the one:

MARTINLOGAN MOTION 35 XT *give_rose*

a88b6665cb85855ddf5b162e04ca7e49.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uE7a6AFEwo

Brokenflame

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
The Kef LS50 do not have a great range, so you can rule those out. Thier compact size simply does not permit them to have any bass. For all the rave reviews about top end, they are simply not well rounded enough to consider purchasing without purchasing a subwoofer to accompany them, as they struggle below 80hz.

As for the Silver 8 and the Tannoy XT6F, I have heard the Monitor Audio Silver 8s with the CX80 and they are a good combination. You can go into any RicherSounds in the UK and listen to this combination.

As for the Tannoy, unfortunety I have not heard these speakers, so I can't comment.

Actually i was considering LS50 wireless. Yes, it doesnt go as low but the bass impact is there. the only thing is, because its a 2-way speaker, the separation of instrument is not as good. when i hear complex music where instruments are all jumbled up, i can't hear distinct instruments. unlike 3 or 4 way speakers.

Love how the Tannoy looks. but then the bass is too boomy.. :(

Maybe i should go for silver 8 then

gasolin

Pang Yip said:
Actually i was considering LS50 wireless. Yes, it doesnt go as low but the bass impact is there. the only thing is, because its a 2-way speaker, the separation of instrument is not as good. when i hear complex music where instruments are all jumbled up, i can't hear distinct instruments. unlike 3 or 4 way speakers.

Why should it be a problem being a 2 way speaker

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Brokenflame said:
The Kef LS50 do not have a great range, so you can rule those out. Thier compact size simply does not permit them to have any bass. For all the rave reviews about top end, they are simply not well rounded enough to consider purchasing without purchasing a subwoofer to accompany them, as they struggle below 80hz.

As for the Silver 8 and the Tannoy XT6F, I have heard the Monitor Audio Silver 8s with the CX80 and they are a good combination. You can go into any RicherSounds in the UK and listen to this combination.

As for the Tannoy, unfortunety I have not heard these speakers, so I can't comment.

What amp are did you listen to the LS50's with, no problem with bass for me.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Pang Yip said:

Seperation is fine with mine.

Brokenflame

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi Q5,

I tried the LS50s with a AudioLab M-PWR, for a nice little desktop setup. We also tried them on a Naim SuperNait 2 and a Arcam (can't remember the model).

I'm not a bass junky, but when you are in a room full of speakers and have a few amps in front of you (and you really wanted the LS50s to win) you try a few different combinations. Unfortunetly having a room full of speakers mean you can easily compare them all. In the room was a selection, of MA, Kef, Tannoy, B&W speakers. I didn't try the Tannoys though... just didn't fancy them. Besides I spent almost four hours comparing speakers, and there is only so many times you can listen to the same 5 tracks in one day.

I really wanted stand mount speakers for portability and ended up with B&W CM6 S2. Not the fullest sounding speakers, but the best of the stand mounts I heard. I would generally opt for floor standing speakers given to option. They tend to sound fuller.

Simon Cunvin said:
Pang Yip said:

Thats not the speaker, thats the effects of poor positioning and/or the dynamics of the room, that's why home demo is essential with speakers, ;)
i demo-ed it in showroom. i supposed it will be worse when i bring it home. the positioning matters less for this speaker because the firing port is at the bottom.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Pang Yip said:
Simon Cunvin said:
Pang Yip said:

Thats not the speaker, thats the effects of poor positioning and/or the dynamics of the room, that's why home demo is essential with speakers, ;)
i demo-ed it in showroom. i supposed it will be worse when i bring it home. the positioning matters less for this speaker because the firing port is at the bottom.
Does not always work like that, if only, in theory the tannoys should work ok against the wall, but there are still so many variables within the room, and same can be said for your hifi equipment too, this is why i never recommend anything other that a demo, followed by a home demo, i have had my speakers for over a year now and i still find myself tinkering with position, always in and out with the bungs to suit different recordings, just when you find that sweet spot, along comes a different track that will just sound off, i have moved three times in the last 16 months, and im amazed how different the same speakers can sound in each of those rooms, this room has been the hardest to tame, so much so, i have been thinking of downsizing my speakers for the last six months :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts