KEF LS50 Actives anyone?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting, and feature packed. I hope it sounds great and sells loads. The features are very important, because it's the lack of these options that makes pro monitors somewhat of a left field choice.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Dear God Nooooooooo.

Why?
49.gif

They look like a good product to me.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth at AVI ;)

Small correction :)

Seriously, this is exactly what I was trying to explain to Ashley he should be doing with their speakers. Being active is no longer enough, you need the bells and whistles, cf the Dynaudio speakers and Devialet.

I've heard the LS50s and was neutral about them - you may remember the marketing went on about the LS3/5a legacy, to which they had no relationship whatsoever - but would be interested to hear these ones. Hopefully they've cleaned up the bass.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
As an owner of the passive ls50 I'd be interested in hearing them .... I believe they are being showcased at the Indulgence hi fi show this weekend ... Anyone going? I am ...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Very interesting, and feature packed. I hope it sounds great and sells loads. The features are very important, because it's the lack of these options that makes pro monitors somewhat of a left field choice.

Having gone as far as including a DAC, DSP, app-based tweaking et al, the icing on the cake would have been an ethernet connection and built-in streaming services (Tidal, Deezer, Spotify). At the moment you still need to purchase another box for streaming.

But at least the connection options are a vast improvement on the KEF X300's.

KEF's decision to make a product like this could spark similar efforts from other mainstream manufacturers. I do like the visual simplicity of actives, but I'm not keen on the LS50's sound, so I'm not too excited about this product in itself - I'm more interested in the indication this gives of the way the hifi market is progressing and changing.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
avole said:
luckylion100 said:
there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth at AVI ;)

Small correction :)

Seriously, this is exactly what I was trying to explain to Ashley he should be doing with their speakers. Being active is no longer enough, you need the bells and whistles, cf the Dynaudio speakers and Devialet.

I've heard the LS50s and was neutral about them - you may remember the marketing went on about the LS3/5a legacy, to which they had no relationship whatsoever - but would be interested to hear these ones. Hopefully they've cleaned up the bass.

On this I tend to agree with you... l felt I needed the addition of the Yamaha pre to supplement the DM10's after all.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Leeps said:
ID. said:

Having gone as far as including a DAC, DSP, app-based tweaking et al, the icing on the cake would have been an ethernet connection and built-in streaming services (Tidal, Deezer, Spotify). At the moment you still need to purchase another box for streaming.

But at least the connection options are a vast improvement on the KEF X300's.

KEF's decision to make a product like this could spark similar efforts from other mainstream manufacturers. I do like the visual simplicity of actives, but I'm not keen on the LS50's sound, so I'm not too excited about this product in itself - I'm more interested in the indication this gives of the way the hifi market is progressing and changing.

;times they are a changin'. As Avole states perhaps AVI have slightly stagnated whilst digging their heels in a little too much. Others are now seemingly taking up the challenge and baton. I've always liked the LS50's to look at but sadly have never heard them. These though have certainly caught my attention. At first I thought it was April 1st as they seem to have been lingering under the radar somewhat.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think they look garstly, especially without grills.

The rated 200 watt would blow the tiny driver into smithereens was it continuous. - Probably peak into its lowest load with a little wind from behind :)

Interesting product though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

The rated 200 watt would blow the tiny driver into smithereens was it continuous. - Probably peak into its lowest load with a little wind from behind :)
The onboard DSP wouldn't allow that, so all would be safe :)

I'm extremely interested in hearing these, as I mentioned active LS50s to KEF a few years ago.

On another note, unless tha Darko piece was written pretending he didn't know what was coming but did, he's just running through what it would be nice to have on them. Those features aren't confirmed...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
drummerman said:

The onboard DSP wouldn't allow that, so all would be safe :)

I'm extremely interested in hearing these, as I mentioned active LS50s to KEF a few years ago.

On another note, unless tha Darko piece was written pretending he didn't know what was coming but did, he's just running through what it would be nice to have on them. Those features aren't confirmed...

drummerman, then they fit in with the existing paradigm for active monitors - no grills and a challenging appearance ;)

It seemed rather overspecced. Nice wish list though. Even with half of that they would be good. Hopefully they go further than the X300A in terms of features.

DSP to prevent blown drivers sounds sensible, and I think that's what Genelec does.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

Do you still use the LS50 in your HT demo room or are they replaced by PMC (passive or active) in the meantime?

David@FrankHarvey said:

Do you know when KEF will announce the active LS50?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
The most interesting bit from the review (to me) was mention of voicing them like the Ref 1. That suggests they are not voicing them like LS50s, which seems rather odd.

Voicing them like the Reference 1 is a good thing imo. I prefer the voicing of the Reference 1.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
The most interesting bit from the review (to me) was mention of voicing them like the Ref 1.  That suggests they are not voicing them like LS50s, which seems rather odd.

a lot of grey between the £800 LS50's and the £4.5K Ref 1's. Will be very interesting.

Pricing what we realistically talking about £2.5k ish...? According to the article they'll be around $2200 in the states.

I'll be sticking with what I've got thank you before adding a decent set of Genelec somewhere down the line.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Do you still use the LS50 in your HT demo room or are they replaced by PMC (passive or active) in the meantime?
I do still use LS50s - I haven't gotten round to trying the PMCs yet.

Do you know when KEF will announce the active LS50?
I would presume today with the show, but maybe up on their website on Monday after the show finishes?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
when I rang them I was told they're being announced tomorrow, but no release date is yet set.

Given the amount of dealers KEF have globally, assuming they're as good as the specs KEF have an absolute winner on their hands.

daveh75

Leeps said:

They do have an Ethernet connection

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Leeps said:

They do have an Ethernet connection

But no DLNA network streaming or built-in streaming services? For what purpose is the ethernet connection?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts