KEF Kit 140 (2.1 Surround) Speaker Wiring

Paul R

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Hello All.
I have an old KEF Kit 140 2.1 surround sound system. The sound quality has always been really great, but the DVD head unit not so good. Anyway, the head unit has just failed and will not longer turn on, despite the blue stand-by light showing, so I can no longer even listen to the TV through it. The only input connector to the speaker system is a multi-pin connector (a bit like a long serial port connector). Does anyone know how I could rewire this to another sound source? I have no idea what all the pin designations would be. I'm not even sure if the amplifier is in the DVD head unit or the sub-woofer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Xmas

Gray

There's every chance you could put a line-level source (or multiple sources via a switcbox) into the speakers.
But you need a better idea of what's going on within.
In the absence of any documentation, maybe get opening it up to see the back of that socket - which would let you see the wiring, then you could maybe follow it to amps....nothing to lose by doing that is there?

Paul R

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Gray, I think you're right. I sent an email to Kef asking for information, but I suspect they'll just ask me to send the unit to them. They'll repair it for £90 flat fee. I could buy the same unit from Ebay for £60 in apparent working order. All that said, on a rainy day after Xmas, it's going to be more fun to see what's inside the unit ! I'll let you know.
Cheers

Reactions: Gray and Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS