KEF KHT-1005 VS Jamo A102 HCS5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to buy a sourround sound system for my PS3 and Sky+ box. I've decided on the Onkyo TX-SR505 for my AMP (seems like the best amp in it's price range), but i'm unsure as to what speaker package to get. I think the 2 options i've listed above seem to be the best 2, please advise. A few other quick questions i also have: If i use the HD 1080P passtrough feature on the AMP for my PS3, will i lose any picture quality? What would be the best way to connect my TV to Amp, optical or HDMI? Do the more expensive HDMI cables actully make a big differnce (if you are already using a v1.3 HDMI cable). Are my otions above better than going for the Sony DAVIS 10 all in one? Thank You in advance for your expert advice..

A

Anonymous

Excellent thank you, can i not send sound from the PS3 to the AMP via the HDMI cable?

A

Anonymous

I have the Jamos and the Onkyo's bigger brother - the 605. The Jamos do sound superb and they look better than the KEFs IMO.

The PS3 only transmits 5.1 surround via the optical out, so although you get sound through the HDMI you need the optical cable to get the full experience.

Edit: sorry realised that sounds a bit confusing - I meant this in relation to the Onkyo 505. The HDMI on the 505 is pass through only so it can't extract the surround signal so you will need optical with that receiver. If you go for the 605 upwards you won't need the optical connection as the receiver will process the HDMI signal.

A

Anonymous

Ok, optical cable and Jamo's it is. Can i hide the subwoofer behind my sofa? I read for example for the Sony DAVIS10 the sub needs to be at the front of the room with the 2 front speakers as it transmits the mid range sounds. Just want to check this isn't also the case with the Jamo's.

Has anyone ordered from http://www.avsl.co.uk ?

A

Anonymous

I got my Jamo's from avsl.co.uk. No problems, good price. I had them ordered from lambdatek (about £3 cheaper!) but there were too many delays so I cancelled and reordered from avsl.

The subwoofer can be anywhere within reason, a good tip I was told to find the best placement was to put the subwoofer where you want to sit, then move around the room until you find the place where the bass sounds best, then put the subwoofer there.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go for the Onkyo 605, so i can use HDMI and get the future HD sound formats. Thanks for help.

The Jamo's are sold out everwhere at the mo though :(

A

Anonymous

Both are very good. The kef 1005 .2 is coming out soon and are available in gloss black but will cost more. You might also consider the kef kht-2oo5's which have recently been reduced to under £400. I heard them set up with a tx-sr 605 and and toshiba ep-35 hd dvd at my local Sevenoaks high fi.... For such small speakers they sounded awesome and they come in black too.

A

Anonymous

I had that problem with the Jamos. They received such good reviews that they have been sold out for over a month now. Mine were on back order and I got them just after Christmas. I was told that Jamo make them to order rather than having a large stock hence the bottleneck at the moment. The situation will hopefully improve once all the Christmas orders have been filled though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts