KEF IQ9, not impressed at all ~

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. I just finished a demo of IQ9 with a Denon high-end integ. amplifier (thats what the guy told me) didnt ask him the model number though, but it looked huge and sturdy, even the cd player was huge, top end model i think so. Now, the sound from IQ9 was terrible, the bass was there, but i thought MS 906i had sweet bass than the IQ9, and the treble was very harsh and the sound was like all on my face, and i just got irritated just 20 minutes into the demo. My question is, is it due to the Denon amp and cdp combo, could the IQ9 sound awesome with my CA setup ? Should i go for one more demo with my CA setup or just buy MA RS6 and forget everything. The above review of IQ9 is all in my opinion. thanx all.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't *just* buy RS6s. I have them and love them to bits, but I've got them with Arcam/Rotel kit which balances their up-front nature.

I'm not saying don't buy them, but you *must* take a listen to them with your kit beforehand...they could sound a bit "too much" at the front of your CA gear. On the otherhand you might love them!

I listened to the iQ range (although stopping at the 5s) and wasn't really impressed...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I never really liked the Kefs - also try the Dali Ikon 5s which i think are quite often over looked - I own the Ikon 2s - selling at moment and did demo the 5s - very likeable - having said that they may also be too much with your amp.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Don't *just* buy RS6s. I have them and love them to bits, but I've got them with Arcam/Rotel kit which balances their up-front nature.

I'm not saying don't buy them, but you *must* take a listen to them with your kit beforehand...they could sound a bit "too much" at the front of your CA gear. On the otherhand you might love them!
I listened to the iQ range (although stopping at the 5s) and wasn't really impressed...
[/quote]

I already had a demo of RS6 with my CA gear, liked it, may be i will give the IQ9 one more try with my CA gear. IQ9 has a favorable review from Stereophile.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="vinod_david"]My question is, is it due to the Denon amp and cdp combo, could the IQ9 sound awesome with my CA setup ?[/quote]

Its got nothing to do with the upper range Denons. Nice sounding products and much underrated usually due to audiophile snobbery.

I find Kef's IQ range unrefined. I'd be surprised if you like them long term with your Cambridge components.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="vinod_david"]My question is, is it due to the Denon amp and cdp combo, could the IQ9 sound awesome with my CA setup ?[/quote]

Its got nothing to do with the upper range Denons. Nice sounding products and much underrated usually due to audiophile snobbery.

I find Kef's IQ range unrefined. I'd be surprised if you like them long term with your Cambridge components.
[/quote]

So, no problem with Denon then, the build quality of both Denon's were excellent, but I know they are very underrated in two-channel department, anyway I'll have a demo one more time with my CA and then decide, i read somewhere that CA and KEF goes well together, is it true, can anybody confirm ?

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Kef iQ7 and wasn't too impressed. The Kef XQ30 is an amazing speaker, though...unfortunately it's not cheap & faces some stiff competition at the price ($3000 US).

I wouldn't bother auditioning the iQ9 with your kit again. Surely there are other floorstanders on your audition list besides the Kef and Monitor Audio? I'm in the same boat as you & have the following list:

Epos M12i & M16i, Rega R3 & R5, B&W 683 & 603 S3, Dali Ikon 6, Revel Concerta F12, Totem Arro & Rainmaker, to name a few.

I've heard the Kef iQ7, Kef XQ30, MA RS6, MS Mezzo 6, Totem Staff & PSB T55. I loved the Kef XQ30 (but they're out of my price range). Not impressed with the Mordaunt-Shorts, Kef iQ7 & PSB T55. The RS6 was a good speaker, but I'm convinced that I can find better for the price.

A

Anonymous

IQ9s are a nice, budget floorstander but they're bright - therefore you need to pair them with some warmer kit. Putting them on the end of bright or even neutral kit is going to be painful.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="vinod_david"]My question is, is it due to the Denon amp and cdp combo, could the IQ9 sound awesome with my CA setup ? Should i go for one more demo with my CA setup or just buy MA RS6 and forget everything. [/quote]

I wouldn't just go out and buy RS6 because you didn't like the Kef! make no sense to me. I thought the Q9 was more than reasonable pair of speakers!

My guess is if you find them too much in your face with the Denon then look elsewhere as CA, imo, will give you similar result. In my experienced though, the UniQ drives are not harsh at all, in fact I found them quite easy to listen to!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="vinod_david"]My question is, is it due to the Denon amp and cdp combo, could the IQ9 sound awesome with my CA setup ? Should i go for one more demo with my CA setup or just buy MA RS6 and forget everything. [/quote]

I wouldn't just go out and buy RS6 because you didn't like the Kef! make no sense to me. I thought the Q9 was more than reasonable pair of speakers!

My guess is if you find them too much in your face with the Denon then look elsewhere as CA, imo, will give you similar result. In my experienced though, the UniQ drives are not harsh at all, in fact I found them quite easy to listen to!
[/quote]

Actually, in my part of world speaker selection are very limited, that's the reason for me hanging around RS6 and IQ9, either one has to convince me to take the plunge, others are all quite expensive. Since you're the expert, I need to listen to you seriously, so what I'll do is I'll have an extensive listening session of IQ9 with CA gear and see what the outcome is. thanx.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts