KEF IQ Vs B&W 600 Or Tannoy DC4 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well its almost time to upgrade, first had some MIssions but they where too big so had to get rid and now im stuck with:

Gale 4020 and 4050c very cheep and had really poor reviews if i can find any at all.

I also have my old Mission Di/Bi poles im not sure which ones but they where from the M3 series of times gone by.

And to top it off the 200w Vibe Alpha 2 subwoofer, very old and well used

Now this is where your help comes in, I run the lot off a Pioneer 1018AH and use it for 360 Gaming, Blu-ray via my S550 and just Sky Tv soon to be HD and through a Hitachi PD9700 which i will also be looking to replace soon.

The two systems i where looking at are:

KEF IQ including for now the:

IQ30 Fronts, IQ10 Rear and IQ60c for center

Or

B&W 600 Including

685 Fronts, 686 Rear and HTM61 Center

As for sub, well either system will have to cope with a BK Monilith.

So feel free to fire away with thoughts and info on anyof the kit past or to be baught and help would be great.

P.s at some point in the future when space is not an issue i would maybe buy the towers instead of bookshelf speakers too

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Before you get the usual B&W vs KEF arguments, this is a personal preference. They both give a very different sound, and the strong points of both can be better appreciated after hearing a fair A/B comparison, rather than basing your decision on the many one sided views you'll get from people who own one or the other, or those that have heard one and not the other and are just repeating what they've incorrectly heard.

Whatever is said on this thread, there's nothing more valueable than hearing the difference with your own ears. You're the one who has to live with the purchase. It's your money!!

A

Anonymous

Trust me anythings is better than what i have, all im after really is Clarity and volume.

Would i be right in thinking that the low bass extension is not an issuse given they will be cut of at 80hz?

If sombody was able to just givethere opinion to be on just what the diferences are between them, not which one is better really as there both in the same price ballpark.

the Gales i have where £90 poor quality and after 2 years of run-in still sound like there wheezing, they feel very held back. they sound very tinny like there is no depth or warmth to the sound "Clinical". i dont know im not expert but thats how best i can tell you they sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're going to use them with a sub, then yes, the lower bass performance of a speaker isn't going to be too much of an issue.

The differences between KEF and B&W (at this price point anyway). KEF are generally lean sounding, favouring the midrange and higher frequencies over trying to produce as much bass as possible. B&W are more about frequency extremes. The KEF's may sound a little lightweight in comparison to the B&W's, but on the flipside, there's all this lovely midrange that the B&W's will be lacking. Because of the lighter bass, the KEF's tend to sound 'faster', with the B&W's sounding 'heavy' in comparison - but there are many who will be more impressed by the B&W sound straight off.

You could say they're almost opposite extremes of each other, but it's personal preference, and maybe for some, room and system matching that might make the decision for them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much, think im going with the B&W, there is not many places within 30 miles i can test them so im just jumping in here.

the Pioneer 1018AH at 150wpc should be fine right ?

Also wheres the best place to buy? Online? Any recomendations ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though it might be a bit of a drive, make a day of it, it'll be worth it in the long run, and could save you an expensive mistake. B&W can only be purchased in store, no mail ordering allowed.

A

Anonymous

Just got home not put a little Itunes on through the 1018AH's Ipod USB and it just sounds empty, really does, thats crossed over at 80Hz and using stream direct.

Can here port noise, loads of treble and a totle lack of any punch in the bid range, just sounds empty with no body to the music at all.

Had a listen to a little Greenday,AC/DC and Chevaliers de Sangreal, i know its only 256kbs but i really think now it sounds really poor and harsh, sounds a little better with Sky TV and again a little better with a BluRay but not cleaver

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Even though it might be a bit of a drive, make a day of it, it'll be worth it in the long run, and could save you an expensive mistake. B&W can only be purchased in store, no mail ordering allowed.

This rule also applies to KEF

A

Anonymous

Sorry everybody, just updated things after a full morning looking, with not much info on the DC4's what might these be like.?

Nice and small but sensitivity runs low at 87, these look classy and look like they would fit in very well, just had a qucik messure of the bigger 600 center speaker, it bloody massive 21" long

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts