KEF Connect App User Feedback - (KEF LS50 Wireless II)

clercfred

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I the happy and lucky owner of the Wireless II for a month or so and after quite a bit of use, I wanted to share to feedback on the KEF Connect App specifically because I never found much info on this, and the app is new.

The sound of the speakers is great, the bass is actually deeper than I thought, but part of the experience is how you stream music to these beautiful beasts through the app.

So, overall I know that apparently the new app is much better than the older one (I never used the two apps for the Wireless I), but in my opinion it still lacks a lot of features. Here are some points, more or less critical I must say:
  • There is not KEF connect app for a desktop (Mac or Window) computer - for it's annoying because I like to stream from my laptop because the screen is larger (no I won't buy a tablet just for that)
  • I have a Qobuz subscription: when you play from within the KEF Connect app (required to ensure hi-res), you actually don't see the quality you stream in (it only indicates FLAC, but not the resolution like in the Qobuz player) => kind of missing the point
  • For Qobuz you must use the KEF connect app, there is no Qobuz connect like for Tidal
  • There is no queue functionality in the KEF connect app !!! apparently it's coming in the next version (end march according to KEF support)
  • To add a radio it's really not intuitive, you have to go into podcast, search for the radio name and then add as favorite to find it in the radio menu, otherwise it the radio stays empty
  • the search field in the KEF app is sensitive to auto-correct (I use iOS), which is very annoying when searching albums/track/artists name that won't match the dictionary (many many!)
  • You don't see which song you are at in a playlist or album
  • The search field is only accessible from the main Qobuz screen in the KEF connect app, if you are deep into the navigation tree you must click several times back to access the search field
  • On iOS at least, the KEF app is not recognized as a music app, which means the volume button (and all other buttons like pause, play, skip, etc. from the locked screen) don't work outside from the app. That's pretty annoying: for changing the volume you have to log into your phone, find the kef app icon, click on it and then change the volume.
  • You can also use the remote, of course, but just to confirm the general feedback, it's pretty cheap and the signal does not work well unless you are 3-4 feet away and in front of the main speaker.
  • The EQ is a bit a pain to adjust if you are not an expert, the instructions in the guide are not clear

My take away: why putting the effort and pain of trying to re-build an app?? Why not work with Qobuz like Tidal to have a Qobuz connect app that streams directly from the Qobuz player to the KEF? Qobuz/Tidal/etc. have years and years of app developments, user feedback and large teams - let everyone do what they are good at and don't try to re-invent the wheel!

Because of that I am considering moving to Tidal, but I like the selection and the organization less than Qobuz. Also, for once that there is a decent non-US technology company....

I might move to Bluesound, I think their app is really nice, but it's another $500 or so. I wonder if KEF understands the importance of music library management for audiophiles?

Anyway, I know it sounds a lot of negative points, but make no mistake, I don't regret the purchase. I just hope this feedback helps what to expect for future buyers. Darko says it's Sonos grade in its review, I never tried Sonos but I hope it's better than the KEF app...

TheJoker

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I use ROON with my Innuos Music Server, this upgrade to the wireless 2 is phenomenal. I have also upgraded the mains cables and ethernet cables which also took the performance up another couple of notches. Coming from a 10k passive system this easily matches it, which I find extraordinary value for money.

Simonsays

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
I use ROON with my Innuos Music Server, this upgrade to the wireless 2 is phenomenal. I have also upgraded the mains cables and ethernet cables which also took the performance up another couple of notches. Coming from a 10k passive system this easily matches it, which I find extraordinary value for money.
I am considering buying the Innous Zen Mk3 and Kef LS50 wireless II however my concern was the Keff App and was considering using Roon but thought of using iPeng through the Zen. My alternative system was to go away from active and have Innous + Keff R3s + Hegel 95 with bluesound or 120 with roon . Has anyone got thought on the merits of my alternatives?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I agree. Kef make questionable user software. The LS50W II app is supposed to be an improvement on the first one but it is still not fully evolved.

@ simonsays

The Wireless II is nice. I have come from a Hegel system (120 & Quad S2) and like/d both very much. Somethings one does better than the other one and vice versa. They do not sound the same though so perhaps make sure you can listen to both your options. Unfortunately I do not use Roon so can't help there.

gfunk

Feb 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I the happy and lucky owner of the Wireless II for a month or so and after quite a bit of use, I wanted to share to feedback on the KEF Connect App specifically because I never found much info on this, and the app is new.

The sound of the speakers is great, the bass is actually deeper than I thought, but part of the experience is how you stream music to these beautiful beasts through the app.

So, overall I know that apparently the new app is much better than the older one (I never used the two apps for the Wireless I), but in my opinion it still lacks a lot of features. Here are some points, more or less critical I must say:
  • There is not KEF connect app for a desktop (Mac or Window) computer - for it's annoying because I like to stream from my laptop because the screen is larger (no I won't buy a tablet just for that)
  • I have a Qobuz subscription: when you play from within the KEF Connect app (required to ensure hi-res), you actually don't see the quality you stream in (it only indicates FLAC, but not the resolution like in the Qobuz player) => kind of missing the point
  • For Qobuz you must use the KEF connect app, there is no Qobuz connect like for Tidal
  • There is no queue functionality in the KEF connect app !!! apparently it's coming in the next version (end march according to KEF support)
  • To add a radio it's really not intuitive, you have to go into podcast, search for the radio name and then add as favorite to find it in the radio menu, otherwise it the radio stays empty
  • the search field in the KEF app is sensitive to auto-correct (I use iOS), which is very annoying when searching albums/track/artists name that won't match the dictionary (many many!)
  • You don't see which song you are at in a playlist or album
  • The search field is only accessible from the main Qobuz screen in the KEF connect app, if you are deep into the navigation tree you must click several times back to access the search field
  • On iOS at least, the KEF app is not recognized as a music app, which means the volume button (and all other buttons like pause, play, skip, etc. from the locked screen) don't work outside from the app. That's pretty annoying: for changing the volume you have to log into your phone, find the kef app icon, click on it and then change the volume.
  • You can also use the remote, of course, but just to confirm the general feedback, it's pretty cheap and the signal does not work well unless you are 3-4 feet away and in front of the main speaker.
  • The EQ is a bit a pain to adjust if you are not an expert, the instructions in the guide are not clear

My take away: why putting the effort and pain of trying to re-build an app?? Why not work with Qobuz like Tidal to have a Qobuz connect app that streams directly from the Qobuz player to the KEF? Qobuz/Tidal/etc. have years and years of app developments, user feedback and large teams - let everyone do what they are good at and don't try to re-invent the wheel!

Because of that I am considering moving to Tidal, but I like the selection and the organization less than Qobuz. Also, for once that there is a decent non-US technology company....

I might move to Bluesound, I think their app is really nice, but it's another $500 or so. I wonder if KEF understands the importance of music library management for audiophiles?

Anyway, I know it sounds a lot of negative points, but make no mistake, I don't regret the purchase. I just hope this feedback helps what to expect for future buyers. Darko says it's Sonos grade in its review, I never tried Sonos but I hope it's better than the KEF app...

I got rid of my lsxes for the same reason and also did not think they sounded good. I liked my x300a wireless but kef stopped supporting them and the app and software never worked right. Kef isn't committed to customer experience imo

ScraUser

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, my actual open issues with KEF representative, concerning KEF Connect app, are related to the following:

1) unable to onboard the speakers via WiFi without using Google Services;
2) unable to browse all the local network storage folders (several existing folders and all the new added folders are not visible to KEF Connect while they are visible to Android file browsing app).

Do you experienced the same issues?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts