KEF 3005 SE & Sony STR-DA5300ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have the kef 3500 se and Sony 5300es setup, but after reading through some of the previous posts on here I got the impression that the sony reciever is maybe too powerful for this speaker setup and I may not be getting the best out of the system.

I was thinking that maybe a lower spec amp such as the 2400es or Denon 1910 would maybe suit the speakers better, any suggestions / advice appreciated.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's so much that the amp is too powerful, but that that the speakers - good though they may be - are not of sufficient quality to do it full justice. I would be aiming to upgrade them, rather than downgrading the amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys thanks for the replies, I dont really have enough space to upgrade the speakers so unless there are some speakers that are significantly better at around the same size then thats not really an option.

Would it sound any better to match the speakers I have with a more suitable amp, or is the current setup still going to give as good results even if the speakers probably aren't up to the task ?

A

Anonymous

You say 'got the impression' but this is not your impression right? Look if you
are happy with the Kefs then sod what others may think. The Kefs are decent
award winning speakers. You can stick with the amp, and maybe some time in the
future you can upgrade the Kefs. Or if you are looking to save some cash than
certainly the 5300 may be overkill, and the 2400 maybe a better fit. Essentially
don't go by others impressions, it is your system, if you are happy with it then
just load up a movie and enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Kage.

Dont get me wrong, I think the system sounds good. As I mentioned above I dont really have room to upgrade the speakers, what I was trying to understand is, would there be any benefit in matching the speakers I have with a more suitable amp (i.e the 2400) or will I see no added benefit going with a better matched / suited amp ?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvertonMonkey:Thanks for the reply Kage.

Dont get me wrong, I think the system sounds good. As I mentioned above I dont really have room to upgrade the speakers, what I was trying to understand is, would there be any benefit in matching the speakers I have with a more suitable amp (i.e the 2400) or will I see no added benefit going with a better matched / suited amp ?

I understand what you are saying now. If the 5300es can do all you need it to (technology wise - hdmi, upscaling...) then keep it. It will sound better than the 2400es or similar (even with the Kefs) and if at some stage you do have room, it will work bigger better speakers comfortably.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:EvertonMonkey:Thanks for the reply Kage.

I understand what you are saying now. If the 5300es can do all you need it to (technology wise - hdmi, upscaling...) then keep it. It will sound better than the 2400es or similar (even with the Kefs) and if at some stage you do have room, it will work bigger better speakers comfortably.

Great thanks for that, thats all I was wanting to know. At least now I can rest assured that having spent the extra cash on a more powerful amp than I needed, that all is not lost and the performance I get from my combined kit is no worse than it would have been with a more suited amp.

Once again guys thanks for the help.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvertonMonkey:Gerrardasnails:EvertonMonkey:Thanks for the reply Kage.

Great thanks for that, thats all I was wanting to know. At least now I can rest assured that having spent the extra cash on a more powerful amp than I needed, that all is not lost and the performance I get from my combined kit is no worse than it would have been with a more suited amp.

Once again guys thanks for the help.

In future, I would describe the amp as more capable and not more powerful - probably what threw people originally. There could well be a more powerful amp than yours that is no where near as good.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:

In future, I would describe the amp as more capable and not more powerful - probably what threw people originally. There could well be a more powerful amp than yours that is no where near as good.

Point taken ;-)

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you won't get better performance by downgrading the amp.

However, in answer to your other question above there are quite a few small speaker sets that would probably outdo the 3005SE, depending on your budget and tyle tastes, such as the Tannoy Arena, MT-30, (not sure the satellites are any better in this but the sub is), the KEF 5005, (satellites a bit bigger though), and others I haven't demod such as the Radius HD.

If you don't want to replace the whole lot, it might be worth looking at a change in sub, as I found that this was the biggest issue when I demod the 3005SE, especially for music. The satellites were good, (with better top end than the M1s), if not quite as detailed as some others.

Hope this gives you some possible options.

A

Anonymous

Those speakers really nice, would they be better matched to my amp that the Kefs ? Or am I really looking to go with full size speakers to get the most out of it.

Do they come with front grills on the speakers, as I'm sure my 2 year old would have fun putting her finger through the front of those speakers lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts