KEF 2005.3 5.1 speaker package but what AV Receiver should i get?????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a complete noob to all of this but I have finally managed to save the money to invest in a home cinema system.

After a lot of research and a few auditions I have finally decided on the KEF 2005.3 5.1 speaker package (£699). But now I cannot decide what receiver to get to go with them.

Originally I was going to go for the Onlyo SR606 (£400), so off I went to Richer sounds and listened to the KEF's hooked up to this and it sounded amazing when it was pumping out the sound track to Gladiator.

Then on the way home, feeling quite content with my choice, I nipped into Sevenoaks to see what they had in. After speaking to sales person in there, he tried to steer me away from the Onkyo, he didn't recommend the receiver at all. In the end I ended up having a listen to the KEF's hooked up to a Harman/Kardon AVR-347 (£500), even though the Gladiator sound track sounded much crisper, I could help the fact that I really didn't like the styling on the AVR-347 as much as the Onkyo and also I got the impression that the H/K was due to be replaced with a new model. As when I mentioned that I only had £1000 to spend the sales person went away and hey-presto, they could do a deal for the H/K AVR-347 & the KEF's for £1000.

After a bit more research I have found that Pioneer are due to release a new range, the Pioneer VSX-1018 specifically, and it also looks like Yamaha are due to release the 663.

I'm just wondering if someone could advise me what I am best to do? Is it worth waiting for the new Pioneer, which I think looks the dog’s dangleys or will I be ok with the Onkyo or the H/K AVR-347? Or any other receiver anyone wants to throw into the pot.

I have a Panasonic full HD LCD and I need to be able to connect the following - Panasonic HD up-scaling DVD/HDD recorder, XBox 360 Elite & PS3 ideally all by HDMI.

Look forward to any help and suggestions anyone could give. My toal MAX budget for speakers and receiver is £1200

Thanks in advance Woody

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Can I just ask whether you are confusing the Kef 2005.2 and .3 . The .3 are the latest version and are indeed £699, but Richer Sounds are only selling the .2 version.The major upgrade difference is the subwoofer and the adjustable mounting base on the satellites.If you do not mind Silver you can get the .2 for £399 at Richer Sounds.Also the HK utput is 55W per channel and the Kef 90W, HK 2x HDMI v Onkyo 4 x HDMI.Depends what you want because I cannot comment on the HK apart from the spec,but IMHO since they are both butt ugly ,I'd go for the Onkyo.

PS I have the 2005.2 and the 606 bought 4 weeks ago.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy thanks for you reply. Sorry, yeah I listened to the 2005.2 at Richer sounds and then fell in love with the 2005.3's when i saw them in black at sevenoaks, so did my girl-friend, which is a rare thing! Are you still happy with you choice? A couple of forums and the guy in sevenoaks said the Onkyo wasn't very 'musical' compared to other receivers, do you listen to much music?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The new Sony AV receiver line-up we reported on earlier today looks interesting. In a clear attempt to combat Onkyo's dominance, the STR-DG820 with full HD audio decoding is expected to sell for around £230.

And we have new models from Yamaha and Denon coming up for test in the September issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy, although the Sony's are prob going to be really good, i don't really like look of them, and a bigger point - niether does my girlfriend. Do you know anything about the Pioneer VSX-1018? How much it retail at or when it is due to be released?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
The 2005.2 are available in black(not at RC) but at the moment are still commanding a premium over the silver £399 v £599.(still £200 cheaper than the .3 and are pretty identical as a satellite output).Since the .3 are now feeding through,there will be deals on the black .2 in the near future.You could also search for the .2 satellites and buy the .3 subwoofer separately,if you want the extra power.

How big is yr room and how loud do you want to go,and what are you replacing .It isnt what I listen to/watch,it is what you do,and what are you comparing wtih.

The reviews say the Onkyo is not musically up with other amps but thats what how it is -horses for..

I don't have a problem musically becuse it is better than what I had.(about 400%)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts