KEF 104 A/B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i'm just getting back into HI FI after some 30 years...I have a pair of KEF 104 A/B's which i originally bought new in 1977...i really like the speakers (sound and looks) I recently bought some new aftermarket grilles for them from Wilmslow audio....My question is can they compare with modern day speakers, and if so what can you suggest i hook them up with?...I'm probably looking at a cd player, integrated amp, and approx 5 metres total of speaker cable...I was drawn towards Roksan after reading good reviews in What HI FI...But like i say i really am open to all suggestions....

SONY KDL40W2000....SONY STRD2400ES...ENERGY ENCORE SPEAKERS...PANASONIC DMR EX77..... and some 70's HI FI ...TRIO KR7400 RECEIVER....DUAL CS501 TURNTABLE....PIONEER PDM603 CD PLAYER...AND KEF 104A/B SPEAKERS....Bill

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KEF 104aB.

What a blast from my past. As a mere strip of a lad I used to sell these. (I was a part-time hifi salesperson when at college.)

Very good speakers but any modern KEF floorstander will probably see these off. (However you will probably do very well on ebay with them.)

The B1039 passive radiators always took some explaining to customers and were pretty frail too. (Celestion did something similar with their 15XR. ABR and XBR were all the rage back then.)

(I preferred the Celestion Ditton 44's)

I sometimes suspect the whole passive radiator 'thing' was related to the purchase-tax exemption for speakers with cones over a certain size. (They could be classed as 'professional' and therefore avoid the tax.) However I forget the details.

A

Anonymous

Don't agree. These speakers are a lot better than the current crop of Kef IQ series floorstanders. You're looking at the current Kef Reference range for their equal. I'd certainly keep them.

A

Anonymous

David Price likes them...but I've never heard them. Must get a listen to a pair sometime. They look fab though, yet I've never seen a pair of those passive radiators that aren't scratched, just like Linn Isobariks...

A

Anonymous

Thanks, i did read somewhere that they are still classed as a decent pair of speakers, that's why i'd like to keep them and couple them up with a modern amp and cd player...My passive radiators are unscratched (Don't know how though considering the amount of moving about they've done over the years)...so...suggestions please on an amp and cd player...budget prob about a grand for both....Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts