Keep my 42incher and get SKYHD? WHFS&V Team?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I guess by now you know the problems I've been having with viewing distance -Actually measured 10ft sitting down on my settee from my TV.

Do you think if I kept my PS42Q97HD and got SKYHD that this would help by giving me better picture quality across the SD SKY Channels though it goes without saying that the HD channels will give me more pristine pictures especially on SKYSPORTS as I like watching the footie.

I don't really want to fork out another £750 on say a 37inch TV but if I have to I will.

What are your thoughts please

A

Anonymous

Just off for an eyetest-Wish me Luck!

PS: I'm watching my 42inch 10ft away. It's wall mounted. It's 3ft above the Floor. The actual vertical display starts at 43 ins above Floor level rising up to almost 64ins at the top of the TV in total from the Floor. The horizontal visual screen width is 3ft.

Do you think this is OK and I don't have it mounted too high, or should I take the TV down from the wall and get a black glass stand on the floor to put the TV on which will mean putting the pedestal stand back on the TV?

A

Anonymous

Hi Tally, Rather than going for a new smaller TV, I would def give SKY HD a shot, ok so not all of the channels will be in HD, but for football especially, it is so refreshing. I had my first extended viewing of SKY HD over christmas at the 'outlaws' house. It was on a Sony 46W 2000 from about 4m away. I was surprised at the SD performance on that TV way better than i expected for a large LCD that is a couple of years old, (although i found the TV's digital tuner even better than SKY) but HD really is the way TV should be viewed, especially if you have a Plasma or LCD. And im sure there will be a number of new channles by the end of the year. But its your decision, maybe the results of your eye test will help you decide?

A

Anonymous

Hello Mook-Yes I think your'e right with reference to SKYHD. On the other side of the coin, had my eyetest yesterday and I am £94 worse off as I have to have new spectacles. So maybe new specs and the possibility of SKYHD will be my saviours

A

Anonymous

I take it you're not changing the tv now you've got your eyes fixed.Wrong lenses can give some serious headaches, hope all will be well now and those mad notions of downsizing are in the past.i'd say the neighbour is gutted you were selling it for a song!!

A

Anonymous

Mook and Marvins: Yep got my eyes sorted and for the first time in weeks, was able to watch a game of football last night on SKYSPORTS without a headache or even feeling that my eyes were straining.

My next door neighbour understood-In fact it was he who told me to get my eyes retested. Looking from 10ft away now up at the 42inch TV with the top of the display 64 inches from Ground Level presented no problems last night.

The Old Bean: Andrew was right.........It was me! Still couldn't watch Cranford for 5 hours on the trot though

Did anyone see that 150inch Panasonic Plasma TV on the news last night from Las Vegas?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Do you ever stop worrying old fella? I go away for a month or so and come back and there you were fretting about somthing new lol.

Of course your 42"" was ok at your viewing distance, crickey I dont sit that much further away with a 50""!
emotion-21.gif

So the moral of your story is YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVERS!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]So the moral of your story is YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVERS!!![/quote]

I sense a brilliant new forum sponsorship opportunity...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MOOK"]
Glad to hear it,,, still going to get Sky HD?

[/quote]

Yes would like SKYHD but am wondering if I should wait until FREESAT comes out as I'm hoping SKY will then either drastically reduce the price of the SKYHD box or even waive the extra £10.00 a month subscription for HD. I pay £38 at the moment which will go up to £48.00 with my SKY Sports Package

A

Anonymous

werent u the one who was saying the samsung is the best tv ever compared to the pioneer kuro, and now ur complaining about the picture quality?? Erm good one lol

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ginder"]werent u the one who was saying the samsung is the best tv ever compared to the pioneer kuro, and now ur complaining about the picture quality?? Erm good one lol[/quote]

Now look here Ginger....Oops sorry, just let me put on my brand new Specsaver spectacles.....arh..that's better.....Now look here Ginder......

No I didn't say that the Samsung was the best TV 'Ever' . I did however remark that for the £779 I paid for it compared to the Pioneer's cost of £1,799 that I could not justify spending that kind of money on a Pioneer when I was unable to determine a significant difference in picture quality in the Pioneer which I found to be just as good as my Samsung.I was also worried about the size of the TV and the Pioneer is also a 42incher, but my concerns over that too have also been greatly allieviated by the fact I can see better now having gone to SpecSavers

You are obviously enjoying your superdooper all in one Display come Coffee Maker...that's great....and I have my Samsung which in my view is also a great display as far as picture quality is concerned.

Bet, I've got a bigger SKY 'Dish' than you though!...and I tell you what old boy....Having a bigger Dish greatly improves the quality of the standard definition signal. Watching Lark Rise to Candleford last week was great-picture was fantastic

A

Anonymous

"Ginger" ha ha good one buddy lol and i dont have a sky dish i use Virgin's V+ box. Shouldnt assume "old boy" lol

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]
[quote user="MOOK"]

[/quote]

Yes would like SKYHD but am wondering if I should wait until FREESAT comes out as I'm hoping SKY will then either drastically reduce the price of the SKYHD box or even waive the extra £10.00 a month subscription for HD. I pay £38 at the moment which will go up to £48.00 with my SKY Sports Package
[/quote]
I'd also like SkyHD but I'm waiting for a bit, because 1) I don't have any spare money having just bought my new TV and 2) I'm pretty sure they'll give up on the additional monthly £10 before too long, like they did with Sky+. It's a bit of an 'early adopters tax' I think, and take up has been pretty slow which isn't surprising given it's a 25% increase in subs (I pay £38/month too) for 4 or 5 HD channels...

A

Anonymous

Gregch: I'm waiting too as I'm convinced that SKY will soon drop the extra £10 a month subscription if FREESAT proves to be successful especially as you will be able to get FREE HD channels too. OK no SKY SPORTS HD but nevertheless SKY will have to more comptetitive on pricing if it's going to retain customers and not loose a big market share to FREESAT also bearing in mind it will be extremely easy for the likes of me who already own a DISH/LNB nad have the cable too-Just then a question of buying the FREESAT box and plugging it in.

Ginder: If you don't own a DISH you could always hang that enormous CHAIR of yours outside on your back wall ( Assuming of course you have an outside wall) for a high gain reception of SKY.........It must be at least 80cm in Diameter from what I can see .......after all there'd be no 'arm in it...and don't forget to take the legs off

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]

[quote user="MOOK"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why would you necessarily want Sky HD over Freesat though?

As I understand it many Freesat programmes will be HD and the content is going to be very similar to the current non subscription channels on Sky / Sky HD. The BBC already transmit football in HD. As I see it personally the only reason you might want to go the Sky route is if you wanted a Sky Sports subscription. Its highly probable that ordinary matches, eg England, European matches etc will be shown on Freesat by either the BBC or Ch5 if and when they join which seems likely. England matches are currently shared between the BBC / ITV and I think ITV / Ch5 have the rights to the European matches. On this basis I think its only likely to be the Premiership thats Sky exclusive.

Even then there are some rumours that Freesat may even go down the top up tv style route whereby there are additional subscription channels available. (Could we see Santana HD on Freesat???)

Personally, I'd wait to see what the channel line up is both at release and announced for down the line before tying yourself into a long subscription with Sky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts