Katie Melua

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
No idea if there is a better 'place' for posting this....

Do any of you have Katie's album The House ?

I recon that it is a quite superb collection of well sung and great sounding tunes for a long while.

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

I recon that it is a quite superb collection of well sung and great sounding tunes for a long while.

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

Mmm, but not as good as The Last Sessions LP by Mississippi John Hurt, surely?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Katie Melua got me into proper HiFi. I tested my amp and cd player with her first album and literally felt the hairs go up on the back of my neck. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Made me realise how good music on a decent system can really mean something.

The House is good but after the 'Million bicycles in Bejing' was overplayed I went off her for a few years. Like her again now.

My wife and I saw her live after her first album and she was very good but I gather she had a breakdown until recently.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

Yes thanks, and I couldn't agree more. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

Probably the best place would be here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-towatching

As for Melua, I find her music a bit weak and contrived.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

Yep, good stuff. And it helps that William Orbit was at the helm. The Flood is epic
smiley-sport017.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I cannot stand her whining voice. Nine Million Bicycles, I care not Batty Mike. :p

A

Anonymous

Each to his own .. I have listened to a few tracks (after reading this topic) on amazon, and have put that cd on my wishlist:).
Would be interested to hear her new cd as well, but no 'samples' available at the moment on amazon.

Thanks for intiating this thread, Alantigger.

You'll probably like Nora Jones as well right? :)

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Katie Melua got me into proper HiFi. I tested my amp and cd player with her first album and literally felt the hairs go up on the back of my neck. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Made me realise how good music on a decent system can really mean something.

The House is good but after the 'Nine Million bicycles' was overplayed I went off her for a few years. Like her again now.

My wife and I saw her live after her first album and she was very good but I gather she had a breakdown until recently.

T

the record spot

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
+ 1!!! I love her voice! And Diana Krall as well, two diferent singers but love them bouth.

Saw Diana Krall as support to Tony Bennett at the Ross Bandstand in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh back in 1999. Fantastic show. Two great voices.
small-logo.png

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:rofl:
the record spot said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
+ 1!!! I love her voice! And Diana Krall as well, two diferent singers but love them bouth.

Saw Diana Krall as support to Tony Bennett at the Ross Bandstand in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh back in 1999. Fantastic show. Two great voices.
small-logo.png

your lucky! never seen them live, I hope they come to Portugal before they are 60 years old ... before they end their careers ... :rofl:

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
Well, I've just ordered "House" and "Secret Symphony" on strength of this thread (along with a batch of other CDs), I hope I enjoy listening to them

Chilling to "The House" right now, came in post with Kate Bush and Sinead O'Connor (Secret symphony at post office along with Beth Orton, Steely Dan and Leonard Cohen). Thanks for recomendation - superb voice and recording.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

What do you think ?
smiley-cool.gif

I bought Katie Melua - The House after reading this thread and played it last night and it was not what I was expecting at all :O

The best way to describe what it sounds like is MASSIVE !

Very deep pounding bass embroidered with delicate well recorded intimate vocals in a massive 3d soundscape !

I played it twice but the second time I turned out the lights and it sounded as though I was sitting in a large stadium listening to a live performance :)

I have always liked Katie Melua but this recording is very different to her normal stuff and I love it :grin:

Thanks for the recommendation :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts