Kashmir - Led Zep

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Have just listened to a stream of Physical Graffiti on iTunes (remastered or so-called Deluxe ed) - Kashmir in particular - it/they sound absolutely dreadful - completely flat with no bass worth speaking of. The version of Kashmir from Mothership sounds a hell of a lot better.

I hearby rename Physical Graffiti Enaemic Graffiti. Forget about whether music is Hi Res for a moment - it's pointless if the recording is cr*p to start with. Many recording "engineers" laugh at the likes of us for obcessing over cables, spikes, Blu-Tak etc, etc then screw up recordings big-time! It's not only compression artifacts that ruins music.

With a few notable exceptions (Morrison Hotel by The Doors, for one) many, many recordings from that era are also pretty bass-light. Most modern recordings I have are hell of lot better recorded where the bass is tighter & tuneful. Ok, some modern stuff is dreadfully compressed but most of what I listen to is fair to excellent. A few recordings are so badly over compressed that I hear quite horrid amplitude distortion or amplitude modulation.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
busb said:
Have just listened to a stream of Physical Graffiti on iTunes (remastered or so-called Deluxe ed) - Kashmir in particular - it/they sound absolutely dreadful - completely flat with no bass worth speaking of. The version of Kashmir from Mothership sounds a hell of a lot better.

I hearby rename Physical Graffiti Enaemic Graffiti. Forget about whether music is Hi Res for a moment - it's pointless if the recording is cr*p to start with. Many recording "engineers" laugh at the likes of us for obcessing over cables, spikes, Blu-Tak etc, etc then screw up recordings big-time! It's not only compression artifacts that ruins music.

With a few notable exceptions (Morrison Hotel by The Doors, for one) many, many recordings from that era are also pretty bass-light. Most modern recordings I have are hell of lot better recorded where the bass is tighter & tuneful. Ok, some modern stuff is dreadfully compressed but most of what I listen to is fair to excellent. A few recordings are so badly over compressed that I hear quite horrid amplitude distortion or amplitude modulation.

Rather mixed up rant!

First you say it dreadful on iTunes, then you say its much better on Mothership (which is not considered to be a great remastering) then you can say the original is cr*p, how do you know? The original was released on vinyl, it sound ok to me 40 years ago, maybe some of the cd are cr*p but that does not mean the original recording was. Also Mothership only has 3 tracks off PG. Probably best to search out the Barry Diament original cds these are generally considered the best but maybe expensive.

As for bass this seem to be a recent desire and I find many recent recording over- emphasise bass, probably because most is played on cr*ppy headphones and systems.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
busb said:

Rather mixed up rant!

First you say it dreadful on iTunes, then you say its much better on Mothership (which is not considered to be a great remastering) then you can say the original is cr*p, how do you know? The original was released on vinyl, it sound ok to me 40 years ago, maybe some of the cd are cr*p but that does not mean the original recording was. Also Mothership only has 3 tracks off PG. Probably best to search out the Barry Diament original cds these are generally considered the best but maybe expensive.

As for bass this seem to be a recent desire and I find many recent recording over- emphasise bass, probably because most is played on cr*ppy headphones and systems.

Rant, yes - mixed up, unsurprisingly, I don't agree. I have PG on vinyl but currentky no means of playing it. I don't recall it being bass-light as it happens. Mothership may well be considered less than ideal but Kashmir on both the remastered & deluxe versions are dreadfully bass light. As for bass being overblown on many modern recordings - that may be the case but I have my speakers well away from my rear walls because there's only one thing I dislike more than no bass & that is bloated bass.

I've re-read my original post - I never said the original was cr*p but both versions on iTunes are very thin sounding - I'll try Spotify - very similar results to iTunes.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

All I can add is Spotify is very similar. If you have access to Tidal (or the CD) & can be bothered - do report your findings but I stick by my statement that the masterting is far more important than means of delivery. Even std bit-rate MP3 can have full range FR even if it doesn't sound brilliant otherwise.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
busb said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

All I can add is Spotify is very similar. If you have access to Tidal (or the CD) & can be bothered - do report your findings but I stick by my statement that the masterting is far more important than means of delivery. Even std bit-rate MP3 can have full range FR even if it doesn't sound brilliant otherwise.
In general, I agree. What seems to be being discussed here is tonal balance rather than outright quality, which is a different matter really.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
busb said:
BigH said:
busb said:

Rather mixed up rant!

Rant, yes - mixed up, unsurprisingly, I don't agree. I have PG on vinyl but currentky no means of playing it. I don't recall it being bass-light as it happens. Mothership may well be considered less than ideal but Kashmir on both the remastered & deluxe versions are dreadfully bass light. As for bass being overblown on many modern recordings - that may be the case but I have my speakers well away from my rear walls because there's only one thing I dislike more than no bass & that is bloated bass.

I've re-read my original post - I never said the original was cr*p but both versions on iTunes are very thin sounding - I'll try Spotify - very similar results to iTunes.

Sorry but I got the impression from "I hearby rename Physical Graffiti Enaemic Graffiti[/b]. Forget about whether music is Hi Res for a moment - it's pointless if the recording is cr*p to start with. Many recording "engineers" laugh at the likes of us for obcessing over cables, spikes, Blu-Tak etc, etc then screw up recordings big-time! It's not only compression artifacts that ruins music.

With a few notable exceptions (Morrison Hotel by The Doors, for one) many, many recordings from that era are also pretty bass-light. Most modern recordings I have are hell of lot better recorded where the bass is tighter & tuneful. "

that you were going on about the original recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts