Kandy L III or CA 740A

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Managed to scrape a few bob together and considering these 2 amps. L III available online for 479 and the CA is 549. Not enough cash to do the speakers as well so which will be the best match with the gear listed below (speaker upgrade will follow at a later date). I think I know which way this will swing but your input is appreciated.

T

the record spot

If it's those two alone, I'd be inclined towards the LIII over the CA, but I think it suits my ears more based on reviews. I think they are two quite different amps sonically, the 740A being a bit warmer?

A

Anonymous

You should be able to get a used Kandy cheaper on Ebay, if you are willing to go that road. I've been following the offers a bit, and quite a few come up regularly.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

If you're considering the CA 740A, then why not go one better and have a look at the 840A (if there are still some available) at the wallet-friendly price of 400 notes?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
seconded momo72. Richer sounds should have some in the clearance section. A bit controversial but I'd go for the CA. The roksans a bit boring imo

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given that you already have a CA 640 CD player and a CA Dacmagic, then it must make sense to keep whatever system synergy you already enjoy and go for the CA 740A.

(Of course the 840a will allow balanced XLR operation with your DacMagic and - by default - your 640 CD player too if you connect it to the DacMagic with an optical cable.)

And it will look better.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
ear:are balanced outputs much better?I use a chord crimson cable and noticed a little bit of an improvement with XLRs when auditioning the 840 kit. A tad clearer, a tad richer. Minor improvements tho.

matthewpiano

Cypher:
Maybe the new Azur 650 A ?

From what a friend who works for Richers has said, I don't think this would be enough of an upgrade from the 640A. Better off with the 740A to make the change worthwhile.

A

Anonymous

Minor confusion on some posts I think....my current amp is the 540 not the 640.....I suppose that can only mean that the upgrade will be more worthwhile.

I have to say I am surprised by the posts here cos I would have put money on ppl saying go for the LIII and forget the CA but most of the replies say the opposite.. Not that I am complaining, the CA gear is good VFM and available locally which is a plus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts