Just taken all the plaster off my living room walls.......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Started to redecorate but ended up stripping back to the brick!!

Thinking this is the ideal opportunity to bury cables for home cinema / surround sound but knowing little about the setting up of systems, thought there may be someone out there who could advise me on what cables to plaster in.

The room is 4m square with door rear left of the room and the tv's going to be situated in the left alcove (couldn't persuade the other half to put it on the chimney breast) sofa's are in l shape to the right as you go in the door

Do i need to choose the system first or is there a generic cable I can position that will fit all systems and would the two rear corners be the best place to have the cable outlet and at what height. or does all this depend on the system and I need to get my act together and choose

also if I get a system bury the cables and then in the future change the system do the cables in the wall become redundant??

Hope some one can help

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It's a bit tricky to find an ideal spot for your surround speakers - if I'm right, the rear-most point is the corner where the sofas meet, opposite the TV. I suppose it wouldn't be possible to put the TV along the wall on your right as you come in through the door? ÿPerhaps that's where the window is? ÿ

As things stand, I'd possibly suggest two points high up above each of the sofa 'L's. ÿDon't forget to allow for enough protruding cable when you're burying the cables. ÿTo do this, you'll also need to fix the appropriate brackets first and offer up the speakers to check the exact placement. ÿQED Silver Anniversary Micro works well for this kind of job.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for that, sounds like a good solution for me.

The window is to the left as you enter the room but is south facing so we get a lot of sun coming though.

What height is ideal for the speakers room is standard ceiling height of 7 foot 6 inches.

I think I need to have a good look at some systems to understand what the 'plugs' are.

Thnaks again.

A

Anonymous

hi just taken out the chimley breast in my lounge and replastered too,

I have sunk the speaker cables into my walls and used speaker sockets so i can plug directly into the socets into the wall, look at the range of inwall sockets from nexxia the full lot cost me around £250 not cheapbut looks profesional.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont plaster the cables into the wall, you attach conduit to the walls with string inside then plaster over that. Then all you do is pull the speaker cable through with the string. Very handy way of doing it incase you want to upgrade cables later.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Alternatively, run the conduit or just the cable behind the skirting board and then screw the skirting board on instead of using nails and this will allow easy access at any later date.

Definitely run conduit if you hide behind the plaster for the reasons pointed out above - makes it easier to upgrade later.

You can place speaker points anywhere along the 'back' wall opposite the screen where you just plug the speakers in with terminated cable.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts