Just out of interest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've played rock and metal on budget MA floorstanders in a hifi showroom and will advise against from my experience. Don't need a degree to write about that surely.

Today I wrote an email to a speaker designer regarding crossover design basics. Hopefully I get an answer back and learn something new specifically about my speakers as well as speaker design in general. I'll extrapolate that knowledge further. It's also fun reading about hi-fi history, how things got here to this point and who are the trailblazers who made it happen.

You certanly wont see me writing much or at all in the turntables, cassettes, R2R, valves, tuners, HT, TVs, streaming or headphone threads. I simply don't know much or have interest in learning more about them. Hats down to those who have the encyclopedic knowledge of all things hi-fi.

SteveR750

Covenanter said:
I started this thread because I was struck by the number of people who post here and who seem to have almost encyclopaedic knowledge of what goes with what, what's best for what type of music, etc.

I only post about things I know, i.e. the kit I have or have heard or technical knowledge from my education and career.  If you want something suitable, for example, for heavy metal then I won't express an opinion.

It seems from this thread that people don't actually spend much time listening to kit so where does this knowledge come from?  Is it just anecdotal?  Do they get it from magazines?  From forums?  I am bemused.

Chris

Pretty much my approach. I can only offer an opinion on kit I've heard if that's the question being posed. On the occasions I've searched the Web for specific reviews or recommendations, I've only paid attention to reviews written by actual owners.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think with hi fi when buy new amps , speakers and so on most people will read up about what they are buying use the net as most people do not want a mistake in what they are buying so someone would come on here and ask because someone would of had that amp or speakers on there ladder of upgrades it's like starting of with a banger but wanting a Bentley well you do if your into hi fi anyway most people are happy with a £50 all in one but not me if you love music you want to get as close as you can to it so when someone wants to know if this speakers go with this amp 9 times out of 10 someone will no as you can not always go by what the dealer says because sometimes he is just interested in selling you something with out worrying about what you want . Some people just take the gabble and buy something with out hearing it first but I say you might as well set light to your money as this is a costly mistake as every bit of hi fi has its own sound like a bottle of wine has its own taste

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
I think with hi fi when buy new amps , speakers and so on most people will read up about what they are buying use the net as most people do not want a mistake in what they are buying so someone would come on here and ask because someone would of had that amp or speakers on there ladder of upgrades it's like starting of with a banger but wanting a Bentley well you do if your into hi fi anyway most people are happy with a £50 all in one but not me if you love music you want to get as close as you can to it so when someone wants to know if this speakers go with this amp 9 times out of 10 someone will no as you can not always go by what the dealer says because sometimes he is just interested in selling you something with out worrying about what you want . Some people just take the gabble and buy something with out hearing it first but I say you might as well set light to your money as this is a costly mistake as every bit of hi fi has its own sound like a bottle of wine has its own taste

You've done for punctuation what the Welsh language has done for vowels!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't speak for anyone else, but what I gave was an average. Some years I went to 5 or 6 musical evenings and demo days; also when I'm after equipment (which I'm not atm), I listen to a lot of stuff.

There is also the fact that when an audio show comes to Belfast, very few people go, so you get a good chance to browse and speak to manufacturers.

Recently, I have helped some friends buy some hifi, so listened to quite a few alternatives....mostly I post my experiences on here.

Last night, myself and the long suffering Mrs. Cno were at an evening hosted by Lyric and featuring representatives from Audioquest, Arcam and Kef....I will be posting my thoughts when I get my head together.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts