Just ordered myself an ND5-XS

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
With the single exception of the Unitiqute, I have now heard evey streamer in the Naim range. In my price bracket it came down to one of three options: sell everything and buy either a Superuniti or a NAC-N 172-XS and NAP 155-XS pair or just sell my CD and add an ND5-XS to my Nait XS. I didn't like the Superuniti (too boomy I thought). The NAC-N 172-XS with NAP 155-XS was very good but, to my ears, the ND5-XS was clearly better. Should arrive in about a week (sounds of thumbs being twiddled).

ommadawn

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm very interested in the ND5-XS. I am wondering (as I'm starting from scratch) if a second hand Nait 5i would initially do the XS justice. I have a pair of Quad 21L's which have never had decent amplification passed through them, used for home cinema duties and I'm unsure if these would be a good match. I envy your twiddling thumbs. :)

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
nStream is a joy to use. Enjoy the ND5, it is very close in performance to the NDX. Just make sure you use Cat5 or better as opposed to wifi. I have done both and I don't know why but wired definitely sounded MUCH better.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
nStream is a joy to use. Enjoy the ND5, it is very close in performance to the NDX. Just make sure you use Cat5 or better as opposed to wifi. I have done both and I don't know why but wired definitely sounded MUCH better.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ragworm - Great unit the ND5XS. Only two problems: 1) you'll feel like upgrading in true Naim fashion with the XP5XS power supply, and 2) you'll get people exhorting you to sell your CD5 player (because you don't 'need' it any more). Don't!

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
you'll get people exhorting you to sell your CD5 player (because you don't 'need' it any more). Don't!

Too late there! It's already on a couple of web sites. It's a great player and, truth be told, there's very little difference in performance between the CD5x and the ND5-XS. I had a demo unit of the latter for a week and was able to switch between the two playing the same album. I don't understand why you think I should keep it though. All of my CDs which are currently on display are going to get packed into flight cases and stored under the stairs as back-ups.

TRENDING THREADS