Just Got A Silver Onkyo TX-SR806 for £399. Do you mind the colour?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I used to be a proud owner of a black Onkyo 606 now I have this silver 806. I don't mind changing the colour because it matches my speakers and the living room theme. Albeit now I have a system composed of assorted colours of black, and different kinds of silver finishes. My first impression with this new unit is that it sounded "bright" but now, the sound is getting warmer (a case of bedding-in) which is the kind of sound that I like. It is really a worthy upgrade IMO because now I have the following features which the 606 didn't have: 5 hdmi inputs; THX Ultra 2 Plus; Audyssey Multi-Equalizer; 180 watts/channel; and more importantly it has Pre-Outs.

At £399 this is indeed a very good bargain. I bought my Onkyo 606 for the same price 7 months ago. The Onkyo TXSR806 takes all that is good about the award-winning TXSR606 and then supercharges it! So for those people who want to do an upgrade from 606 to 806 I suggest you go for it.

Now, back to the colour (no racism here). Do you mind if your system has assorted colour combinations while listening to music or watching movies? Which colour do you prefer your system to be and why?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I can't get worked up about much apart from the look of my speakers - which, after all, sit right in front of me. That's why I use these stunning style-plus-substance beauties.

My stack of kit is in the corner, and houses separates of all kinds of colour, but as i'm watching movies or listening to music (rather than staring at the kit), I prioritise performance over aesthetic!

I realise this may put me in a minority of women
emotion-2.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Colour doesn't bother me - bought a silver Onkyo 905 last autumn because it was £100 cheaper than a black one. If they'd been the same price, I'd probably have gone with black but, seriously, anyone spending £100 extra just to get a black one needs their head examined!
Mind you, I think I'm in a minority of one who doesn't think the Onkyos are ugly (I still don't really understand how an AV receiver can be ugly!)

A

Anonymous

professorhat:(I still don't really understand how an AV receiver can be ugly!)ÿ

The language of aesthetics does not pick and choose. If you had to say I believe you would say Onkyos are pig ugly.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

I can't get worked up about much apart from the look of my speakers - which, after all, sit right in front of me. That's why I use these stunning style-plus-substance beauties.

My stack of kit is in the corner, and houses separates of all kinds of colour, but as i'm watching movies or listening to music (rather than staring at the kit), I prioritise performance over aesthetic!

I realise this may put me in a minority of women
emotion-2.gif

"I prioritise performance." No wonder you own the Mordaunt-Short Performance Series...my "Dream Speakers". But only in my dreams I suppose. Do you own the LE? Thanks Claire.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

professorhat:(I still don't really understand how an AV receiver can be ugly!)

The language of aesthetics does not pick and choose. If you had to say I believe you would say Onkyos are pig ugly.
I must admit that other brands look more stunning and the onks look less stunning but not ugly.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I've always preferred silver.

My 875 is silver. My Arcam amp & CD are silver, I even waited ages to get a PS2 as I wanted (and got!) the silver one. Oddly, we went for the white MT-30 and not the silver, but silver ran it a close 2nd.

Only annoying fly-in-the-ointment is my S350 Blu-Ray player is black (The blue front panel should be available in silver!)

Silver looks classier IMO, although I'll probably get loads of people disagreeing vehemently with me......

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I've always preferred silver. My 875 is silver. My Arcam amp & CD are silver, I even waited ages to get a PS2 as I wanted (and got!) the silver one. Oddly, we went for the white MT-30 and not the silver, but silver ran it a close 2nd. Only annoying fly-in-the-ointment is my S350 Blu-Ray player is black (The blue front panel should be available in silver!) Silver looks classier IMO, although I'll probably get loads of people disagreeing vehemently with me......I am a hi-fi buff since I was a kid. And in my experience these colours in hi-fi systems just come and go. Today it's the era of the black, but tomorrow it will go back to Silver and back to black again. It's all about craze. This fad is a cycle. I second you Big Chris, I prefer silver finish as well.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi liujol, You've just done me a MASSIVE favour, as you know I got mine at the same time as you and paid £480 in black.

Now I'm not bothered about colour either and after reading your thread a silver one for £399 I phoned up my supplier (who I think is the same one as yours). RESULT!!!!

Silver one ordered coming thurs/fri and £80 cheaper. Whooo.

Cheers.

SILVER RULES.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
liujol:
No wonder you own the Mordaunt-Short Performance Series...my "Dream Speakers". But only in my dreams I suppose. Do you own the LE? Thanks Claire.

Nope, the originals - have had a trial with the lovely LEs, though....

A

Anonymous

liujol:Today it's the era of the black, but tomorrow it will go back to Silver and back to black again. It's all about craze.

Now you mention it, it's not very exciting is it? Where are the West Coast paint jobs? I don't see the Aston Martin level of personalisation with Bavarian Black Forest cow hide and thick, shagpile carpets. That'll be £2000 sir for this cd playing device - would you like me to engrave the profit margin on it for you?

A

Anonymous

Andy H:Hi liujol, You've just done me a MASSIVE favour, as you know I got mine at the same time as you and paid £480 in black. Now I'm not bothered about colour either and after reading your thread a silver one for £399 I phoned up my supplier (who I think is the same one as yours). RESULT!!!! Silver one ordered coming thurs/fri and £80 cheaper. Whooo. Cheers. SILVER RULES.Hi. Andy. TBH, actually I only paid my supplier £60 to get my 806. Surprised!? I swappped my 606 based on the price that I bought it 7 months ago which is also £399. I just paid the store their "handling charge" which is 15% of the original price. Now, am I lucky or what?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Colour doesn't bother me - bought a silver Onkyo 905 last autumn because it was £100 cheaper than a black one. If they'd been the same price, I'd probably have gone with black but, seriously, anyone spending £100 extra just to get a black one needs their head examined!
Mind you, I think I'm in a minority of one who doesn't think the Onkyos are ugly (I still don't really understand how an AV receiver can be ugly!)

Oh, it bothers me. All my boxes are black - I would not get a Pioneer glossy black BD player because it wouldn't match. It's a shame as you can get some great deals on silver components. Apart from liking it all matching myself, I would have no chance running it by my better half - I just about get away with bringing "huge speakers" into the lounge and "massive amps"....

A

Anonymous

Andy h
am i right did you pay 319 pounds for silver ? if so who ? my amp has quit on me so looking for a bargain

A

Anonymous

has2mow:Andy h am i right did you pay 319 pounds for silver ? if so who ? my amp has quit on me so looking for a bargainI'm afraid not has2mow. The black is £479.95 and the silver is £399.95 giving you a saving of £80 if you chose to buy the silver.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi has2mow, No you got me wrong. I wish it was £319.

I bought a black one for £479. I'm returning it and getting a silver one for £399. so £80 saved.

I don't think a black one is worth a £80 premium.

A

Anonymous

Many years ago, I used to think that black looked "old fashioned" and that silver looked more hi-tech. However, I now prefer black as I think it blends in better with most modern home decors and doesn't attract as much attention to it as compared to the silver models. As per the trend in cameras, the black models are supposed to look more "professional". Sound quality wise, it obviously doesn't make any difference at all.

Conversely, in the notebook market, black notebooks like the HPs, Thinkpads, Dells, etc. look very old fashioned and industrial but the cool looking Macs all use silver/aluminium.

From a consumer standpoint, I think people are influenced by the colour. Yamaha has titanium, Denon has 2 different shades of silver and Onkyo has its famous "bling bling" gold coloured AV receivers. Maybe gold will be the new black one day? :)

So yes, I do mind the colour to a certain degree, particularly on an Onkyo! :)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hah - I had to think about what colour my amp was! We auditioned all the kit together (she has a really good ear). I had the casting vote on equipment; her on the colour schemes. It's silver, by the way. Probably.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts