Just bought an Arcam A38...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have probably been my own biggest fan of the A28 I had until a few hours ago. I have been using it as a poweramp of sorts, utilising my Leema dac as a pre.

So I saw the A38 at a decent price and the very friendly seller took my A28 in part ex for a nearly new A38 and the deal was done!

First impressions are very good; generous and well controlled bass, superb soundstage with far superior organisation and very detailed midrange. In fact, vocals and instruments sound far more realistic with guitars and drums in particular sounding far more natural, allied to a more powerful presentation. :rockout:

Now I have to caveat this by letting you know I did not complete a triple blind, ABX, upside down test and there were no scientists present to record or analyse the results, so my findings are probably utter b*ll*cks!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
All that matters is that your enjoying it and you think it a worthwhile upgrade - ****** what everyone else thinks!

Nice one, cheers Steve. I was looking at poweramps before I saw the A38 at a good price. Really pleased so far, the soundstage really is massive!

The only annoying thing is that I need to get a phono stage. Any recommendations?

p_m_brown said:
stevebrock said:
All that matters is that your enjoying it and you think it a worthwhile upgrade - ****** what everyone else thinks!

Nice one, cheers Steve. I was looking at poweramps before I saw the A38 at a good price. Really pleased so far, the soundstage really is massive!

The only annoying thing is that I need to get a phono stage. Any recommendations?

Nice one, Mr. Brown.

Love Arcam tonal qualities, lashed with a plethora of added inputs. Magic.

How much better than the A19?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
stevebrock said:

funnliy enough I just picked up a Trochord Dino Mk2 used for £170, but you probably could get cheaper! What cartridge are you using? and whats the budget? plenty of peeps here will point you in right direction - Im pleased with the Dino - more air around vocals and it opens up possibilty for lower output MCs

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a lot better than the A19. Similar voicing in that it sounds more exciting than the A28 but just so much more detailed and composed.

As I am going through tracks, they have all become more dynamic and the soundstage has really broadened on a lot of them. Just being listening to the latest Deftones record and it sounds massive!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
p_m_brown said:
stevebrock said:

funnliy enough I just picked up a Trochord Dino Mk2 used for £170, but you probably could get cheaper! What cartridge are you using? and whats the budget? plenty of peeps here will point you in right direction - Im pleased with the Dino - more air around vocals and it opens up possibilty for lower output MCs

Yeah, i read that the other eveining, glad you are enjoying it! At the moment, the debut has an ortofon OM5E which is the one it came with I think. Budget would be similar to what you paid for the Dino.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If you dont want an extra box, arcam will fit a phono stage to your A38 I do believe. Not sure how much it costs but might be worth looking into?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ben K. said:
If you dont want an extra box, arcam will fit a phono stage to your A38 I do believe. Not sure how much it costs but might be worth looking into?

I wasn't sure if it was available as a retrofit part. Will have to tap up Arcam in Monday.

Quite like the idea of the Graham Slee as they do the 60 suck it and see trial...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
So the Arcam has not got a phono?

Somrething from project or rega would do the job

Wrong! :)

From personal experience of Arcam amps and CDPs I'd say the best phono stage for the A38 would be Leema's own box. Both brands have scarily similar tonal qualities: Both neutral with a hint of smoothness.

mmmm I was aking the question - has the Arcam got a phono

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ben K. said:

I was quoted around £120 to have the phono stage fitted to my A38. Currently using a Cambridge Audio 540P which sounds OK to be honest.

Paul

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Nice one Paul, cheers for that. Might do that for the time being then, at least to keep the box count down if nothing else!

This amp just keeps putting a great big grin on my face, the presentation is just so much more powerful and exciting! Loads more oomph!

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi mr brown

How are you getting on with your A38 now you've had a few weeks to get used to it?

For me it just got better the more I listened to it. I feel it really shines with longer listened sessions rather than instant impact short demos (although an hours demo had me hooked :roll:)

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Ben

It's definitely a keeper - I am so impressed with the way that music is presented through it! Haven't really noticed it settling in as such, but i have certainly noticed the massive smile on my face everytime I play a tune!

Cheers,

PMBrown

TRENDING THREADS