Just been offered....opinions please...

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have made previous post about upgrading my current set and was looking at changing completely

I currently have arcam avr250 arcam dv79 and monitor audio rs6 speakers

I mostly listen to cd and watch the occasional DVDs but not looking to get surround sound. I have set the amp to bi amp and I feel it has it's pros and cons. Firstly I feel the system lacks a little excitement the bass definition isn't great especially at lower volumes.

The good side is it has a warm sound vocals stand out from the mix and it dies have a nice feel to the sound.

Anyway , I have a chance to sell my avr 250 and get a arcam a75+ with arcam p75

Would this be a good setup? I know it's not a newer model but I have heard this is a little secret into arcams amps? Plus I can still bi amp.

Any thoughts would be great

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this move would be an upgrade. rather a side step. if you're looking to upgrade on your system I'd be looking into more obscure brands than Arcam.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you are not looking at getting surround sound, then getting a dedicated 2-Channel Preamp/Power amp combo or just one bigger integrated would be a bigger change IMO.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Basically is a dedicated 2 channel power amp and intergrated amp better than a av amp for music? But above all is the systems in question going to give me better stereo sound?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Generally speaking yes, a hifi amp will be better quality than a comparable multichanel amp when considering two channel only. This is my opinion, other will disagree, but when I was demoing AV amps and stereo amps I wasnt happy with the two channel performance of even the expensive integrated AV amps.

Having said all that, the Arcam AV amps are regarded as some of the most musical sounding, and indeed the AV9/P7 combo was the compromise I ended up making.

In your situation I cannot say for sure that the second hand stereo amp and power amp will be an improvement as I havent heard them or the arcam you would be replacing. I suspect the difference might not be as big as you would expect, but you really need to listen to them side by side in your system to be sure.

The stereo pair will be much less flexible tho. Do you not have any other digital sources that make use of the AV amps digital inputs, for eg?

hoopsontoast said:
He is sugesting Integrated + Power amp and Bi-Amp. (A75 + P75)

I was suggesting one better Integrated or dedicated Pre-Power combo.

Aha, gotcha. In that case I agrre 100% with your suggestion to the OP. For stereo, if that is all he wants, he is indeed better off ditching all AV gear and heading down the best integrated amp he can afford route.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess I would need to look into getting a a38 and p38 to better what I have already got?

In the mean time while funds allow would an rDAC be a cheap extension to what I have got to improve the sound quality of the dv79?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts