just back from the Bennets electrical 3D showcase event in Norwich

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
All the manufacturers on show:

Panasonic showing the VT20 a special demo in a blacked out room and in daylight as well. LG showing their active shutter version of 3D as opposed to the set up in the pubs with the polarising glasses. Samsung with the 55'' 7000 series. Sony with a 60'' 903 (I think LX)

Manufacturers and bennets staff all with strong personal views to add to the mix

In summary:

Panasonic glasses easily the most uncomfortable - I would almost say not wearable for a full film, I thought previous comments on this must be exagerated but they are not. Panasonic 3D effect the most convincing, with no halo at all, Panasonic with easily the most eye strain almost unbearable for me across a whole film (my wife didnt get any eye strain?)

LG there active shutter system was not as good as the set up I saw in the Pub on the passive system, almost embarassing halo effect at all times - It could have been due to set up as the staff seemed pretty cluless

Samsung beautiful sets as we know, some halo-ing very very little eye strain, good effects, a contender?

Sony great set, absolutley no eye strain, much more comfortable glasses, slightly muted 3D effect but it was a very bright part of the hall, big reflections off the set. No halo-ing. Looked like a very high end piece of kit overall

General consensus in the place from staff that the G20 and VT20 are exceptional 2D performers the best you can buy. Alot of complaints about eye strain on panasonic but also acknowledgment their 3d is the best. Sony looks a good compromise across all the 3D features but very expensive upwards of £3k being quoted for the 52''

All in all I have changed from being a total '3d must have' person to someone now not sure?

A

Anonymous

I popped into best buy yesterday and had a look at the 3d TV's in the demo room. I was really unimpressed, the 3d effects were minimal and it was hard to imagine being able to watch for more that a few minutes without getting a headache. I can't see this 3d business lasting very long if that is as good as current technology can manage.

D

Deleted member 2457

Do you think the new 3D screens will affect 2D blu ray performance at all?

I guess you will not suffer any side affects at all while watching 2D blu ray on a 3D screen?

Thank's.

A

Anonymous

2d is not impacted at all - i dont think that issue is even in debate. however, how good the 3d player is in 2d is unknown

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No gel, no reason at all why 3D screens should affect 2D Blu-ray playback. In fact, one of the things we keep saying is that you should consider any 3D TV purchase as much for its ability with normal programmes/discs, as much as 3D, as the initial amount of 3D content will be very limited.

D

Deleted member 2457

Okay thanks because i have been thinking of buying a tv you see, just so i don't have 3D in built into the tv because i have no interest in it at all.

A

Anonymous

I visited the local Media Markt store here in Sweden. Got to demo both the Panasonic VT20 (real 3D) and Samsung (upconverted 3D) 40-55 C7705 models (7000 to UK I think). The 3D on the panaonic was awesome but glasses was a bit uncomfortable, I wear real glasses all the time, don't see clear beyond 10 inches... The Grand Canyon ride actually had me trying to dodge the water as the boat speeded down the stream. Very nice indeed. But to me the 7705 looked better in 2D, and the upconverted material I saw, Avatar and some thriller I can't remember, looked not too shabby.

And glasses was a dream to wear over the regulars.

And the fact that I can't fit a 50" screen at home without gaining a lot of glare from a window in the screen, I went for the 46" 7705 and player (3D kit included when ordering both items). Delivery in 1-2 weeks. It's like christmas all over again!

So, regardless of numbers,each to his own taste I guess. Most seem to go for panasonic or at least the most oppinions I've read is going for that set (same person mutiple times...?)
emotion-1.gif

/Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts