Just a question about PS3 and IP addresses

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey, not sure what forum to have put this in but im guessing it will get into the right hands somehow.

I have been using my mates PS3 downstairs logging on to the network and playing online etc, but am about to purchase my own. Alls well and good but can we both use our playstations at the same time off the same router ?

I have a feeling i've heard that it may cause problems due to using the same IP address ?

If so is there a way around it because all the wireless networks have become secure, after a while of them not being ( not that i attempted to use them of course!!).

If anyone can be of help that would be great

thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just a flying visit (had to update myself on the Oppo thread after reading the review in the Awards issue just now
emotion-14.gif
).

There should be no issue running two PS3s off the same router - assuming the router is setup as a DHCP server (which unless you've changed it or got a very strange setup it will be), the PS3s will get different IP addresses and therefore work fine together.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Just a flying visit (had to update myself on the Oppo thread after reading the review in the Awards issue just now
emotion-14.gif
).

There should be no issue running two PS3s off the same router - assuming the router is setup as a DHCP server (which unless you've changed it or got a very strange setup it will be), the PS3s will get different IP addresses and therefore work fine together.

Agreed- but to wipe out any doubt you could always give each machine a fixed IP .You will need to look up the unique MAC address per PS3 to do this.I have done this for my son's and it is quicker to log on(on our router anyway)

A

Anonymous

Another option would be to simply use an ethernet cable plugged into the router. I realise this isn't as 'cool' as using it wirelessly, but my PS3 simply wouldn't connect wirelessly and constantly gave me error messages about the IP address and other stuff, so after about 2 months of fruitlessly trying different things, getting advice from people who knew 'this will sort it - no problems' I bought a 10mtr ethernet cable and it connected by itsself in about 3 seconds! Also, it downloads stuff much quicker than my 2 freinds machines, who have both wireless connections.

A

Anonymous

Cheers everyone, think i am gonna go with the wired option, seeing as you get a faster connection this way. I can stomach another cable running behind everything !!!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:professorhat:

emotion-14.gif
).

Agreed- but to wipe out any doubt you could always give each machine a fixed IP .You will need to look up the unique MAC address per PS3 to do this.I have done this for my son's and it is quicker to log on(on our router anyway)
Agreed. When I was a bit of a COD4 fiend, I reconfigured my network so that all devices (including my PS3) had fixed IPs to squeeze the last drop of performance out of my router. Not sure it made a lot of difference to be honest. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS