just a dumb screen

harrydg

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Good day all,

I have a (maybe silly) question. At home i have a Onkyo 818 amp with the B&W MT60D speakers. My TV needs a replacement now. I was thinking about all the TV's you see here. There's a lot of talk about "sound" and smartness... but for all that, i have a media center. For sound i have the MT60D. So i ONLY care about: the best quality screen (there aren't that many real manufacturers of the panels themselves).

So... i need 1 HDMI input to connect to my Onkyo, a power cable and an on-off button. That's it!

ow yes... and the best possible panel!.

But i don't seem to find it anywhere... i don't want to pay for "good sound in the tv", smart things, a nice tuner, ... i have all that stuff externally already.

Am i the only one that just wants a "stupid panel" with nothing more?

And does such a "simple" panel even exist?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
harrydg said:
Am i the only one that just wants a "stupid panel" with nothing more?

Pretty much yes. Or if not the "only one" then one of a very small group of people that isn't worth the cost of designing a simple screen for. That's your problem, the number of people that would buy such a screen is vanishingly small, globally speaking, so it just isn't worth doing commercially.

There are such screens available but they're aimed at the business/professional market and as such cost rather more than the consumer market is prepared to swallow.

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Pure Plasma monitors for the custom install market do exist, like the Panasonic VX300 and VX200. If you're interested you might want to contact a AV custom installer like Progressive Av or Kent Home Cinema. They often provide Plasma monitors meant for business purposes like the Panasonic PF50 ,PF30 and BT300 series for the custom install market. The blacks on these monitors are often not as good as commercial panels but the component quality is higher as they are often used in 24/7 situations.These monitors aren't cheap but they are often provided as part of a custom install which includes an ISF calibration and a scaler like the Lumagen Radiance. Theres of course no reason why you can't source the panel yourself.I don't believe there are any LCD monitors used in custom installs now , the last manufacturer to offer these was JVC about 3-4 years ago who offered 42 inch and 32 inch LCD monitors.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I recently went on a mission to find a tablet that has a HDMI **IN** that i could use as a thin, light travel monitor for a easily transportable gaming system. Doesnt exist.

1k gaming laptop it is then :wall:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ben123 said:
I recently went on a mission to find a tablet that has a HDMI **IN** that i could use as a thin, light travel monitor for a easily transportable gaming system. Doesnt exist.

1k gaming laptop it is then :wall:

That's because you probably ARE the only person who wants that, I've never heard anyone asking for that before, whereas we've had a few people wanting a basic screen/monitor before now.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Nah theres other people...

If i was to make a tablet with a HDMI in and list it on ebay as a "Portable monitor for / PS3 / PS4 Xbox 360 / Wii / PC" im fairly confident i could sell a few.

The consoles are quite portable - the tvs arent.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ben123 said:

If i was to make a tablet with a HDMI in and list it on ebay as a "Portable monitor for / PS3 / PS4 Xbox 360 / Wii / PC" im fairly confident i could sell a few.

"A few" isn't going to cover development costs though, unless you're charging ridiculous prices.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

harrydg

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I still don't get why not more people want this. THe panels ARE invented. The casing too. Just throw out the crap, ask 200 less and that's it.

I don't need a quad core cpu, don't need super-flat and expensive speakers to give me quality sound. I don't want a analogue or digital tuner since i'm stuck with an external box for that anyways...

I want the screen... and nothing more. But you are probably all right... it probably doesn't exist... or maybe we just call them "computer screens". And they just need to "grow some more" :)

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Amen, brother.

No doubt creating a dumb screen means people are no longer forced to use the manufacturers bundled rubbish and no longer tied into whatever form of DRM they wish to use.

Oh and if your LG they cant use your TV to spy on you (even when you opt out) and sell our data (google it).

A dumb screen would allow the consumer to have the power to say i dont need to buy your crummy expensive product becuase i can now go out and buy a "dumb screen" and add whatever piece of cheap tech i desire.

Some of the OLED tablet screens are AMAZING, not to mention light and thin. Can i use this tech for gaming? No sir.

Paul.

We used to have "dumb screens" and the TV industry nearly went broke. A race to the bottom ensued and margins were incredibly thin from cost cutting. I don't think the general public respect picture quality, or more accurately can't tell the difference. Manufacturers have reclaimed their profit margins by adding all this stuff, stuff with a tangible benefit to normal customers.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Ben123 said:

"A few" isn't going to cover development costs though, unless you're charging ridiculous prices.

There are no development costs. The tech existed.- YESTERDAY lol. OLED tablet + HDMI in. Voila

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ben123 said:
The_Lhc said:
Ben123 said:

There are no development costs. The tech existed.- YESTERDAY lol. OLED tablet + HDMI in. Voila

Riiiiiight....

You know we invented the wheel thousands of years ago, the internal combustion engine over 100 years ago and yet it still costs over $1bn to develop a new car, can't imagine why...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts