Jazzland

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
Vladimir said:
The band was founded in 1992 in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany by Thorsten Benning, Morten Gass, Robin Rodenberg and Reiner Henseleit. Originally, group members started out playing in various hardcore bands such as 7 Inch Boots and Chronical Diarrhoea. In 1992 they produced a crossover of jazz and ambient, which they self-described as an "unholy ambient mixture of slow jazz ballads, Black Sabbath doom and down-tuned Autopsy sounds".

Ambient, dark ambient, jazz

Full album

If you're into Boredom & Der Club of Gore check out The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and their live alter ego The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.

Dark ambient stuff is perfect for the holiday season :)

Awesome, I'll check them out, thanks.
regular_smile.png

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I expect most Jazz heads would turn their noses up at this one but I have been hooked by it big time . *music2*

https://open.spotify.com/track/4aAm12dBZXpECegdO1EmFc

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
I had to put this album here as well.

Bela Fleck - Three flew over the cuckoo's nest .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3hG5hz6CA&list=PLlLPbdXYqkafZ0CrQKuDi42eAdwd7AP0q

You might like this one Vladimir. *good*
I'm really feeling this album. Very nice indeed. *dirol*

Try this out you may like. OUTBOUND by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Marcin Wasilewski Trio - January

I new one to me but I read they are Tomasz Stańko rhythm section. I would say similar to some of the Scandinavian jazz trio records I've heard, such as Tord Gustavssen.

Slowly rolling camera. Slowly rolling camera

OK it's not full on jazz maybe more coffee table background type.

A bit of jazz meets triphop fusion type stuff,I'm quite enjoying this recently.https://open.spotify.com/album/1EE55TnO6MO7rybpc1J8CA?si=kJFV4gotTDSEf4O4CJqTtQ

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dreams and Daggers
A new artist to me, if you like female jazz vocals then this is worth a try, not really me cup of tea but the sound quality is excellent.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dreams and Daggers
A new artist to me, if you like female jazz vocals then this is worth a try, not really me cup of tea but the sound quality is excellent.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm bumping this truly excellent thread, now that I'm in the position to start making my way through the brilliant suggestions.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

Marcus Miller - Laid Back

John Coltrane - Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album

Great choice! Just listening to Kamasi Washington's Street Fighter Mas as I type. Marcus Miller's album is beautifully recorded too, love it.

also, on YouTube, check out this super track...

Od Ebra do Dunava Live in Vilnius - Barcelona Gipsy balKan Orchestra

they're clearly enjoying themselves playing this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Live At The Village Vanguard

A Rift in Decorum, reveals Akinmusire as a performer of extremes. Some tracks, like the opening "Maurice & Michael," or the buoyant "H.A.M.S.," find him launching into frenetic, cubist solos in which he accents his harmonically rich lines with dabs of rounded trumpet squelch, puckered vocalizations, and wide, bug-like intervals. Other times, as on the ruminate "Moment in Between the Rest" and the languid "First Page," he evokes the measured classical sound of composers like Morton Feldman and the equally nocturnal introspection of Bill Evans.

bd8565c879a4f2bbee4fb16959652156.jpg

Elsewhere, tracks like the flowing "Taymoor's World" find him offering both extremes, moving dancer-like between early piano-driven sections and later, wildly gesticulated group improvs. He also makes room for several solo spotlights, as on his own largely rubato "Trumpet Sketch," Harris' intro to the aptly titled "Piano Sketch," and Raghavan's moody bass feature that leads into the languorous and pensive "Condor." Ultimately, it's the tension between Akinmusire's refined compositions and his band's robust, dynamic reading of them that makes A Rift in Decorum so compelling.

Spotify | Tidal | GPM | Qobuz

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In 1970, the members of the Art Ensemble of Chicago were living as expatriates in Paris. The group had only recently expanded to its permanent quintet status with the addition of drummer/percussionist Don Moye when they were asked by New Wave director Moshe Misrahi to provide the soundtrack for his movie, Les Stances a Sophie. The music was never used in the film but, luckily, it was recorded. The result was one of the landmark records of the burgeoning avant-garde of the time and, simply put, one of the greatest jazz albums ever. On two of the tracks, the Art Ensemble is joined by vocalist Fontella Bass, at the time the wife of trumpeter Lester Bowie and riding the success of her pop-soul hit Rescue Me. She's featured most prominently on the opening number, Theme De Yoyo, an astounding piece that has achieved legendary status as the finest fusion of funk and avant-garde jazz ever recorded.

MI0000600432.jpg

The mix is indeed seamless, with Moye and Favors laying down a throbbing, infectious groove, Bass singing the surreally erotic lyrics with enormous soul and the horn players soloing with ecstatic abandon. The remaining pieces cover a wide range stylistically with no less beauty and imagination, including two variations on a theme by Monteverdi, intense free improvising and soft, deeply probing sonic investigations.Their extensive knowledge of prior jazz styles, love of unusual sound sources (the so-called "little instruments) and fearless exploration of the furthest reaches of both instrumental and compositional possibilities came into full flower on this record.

Spotify | Youtube

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Alain Gibert, Bruno Chevillon, Jean-Louis Matinier, Louis Sclavis

R-2722672-1352211530-3469.jpeg.jpg

Bruno is an amazing bass player. He really shows his athletic skills on the instrument in this album, specifically on Se yu sabio (#2). To be able to pair with Tim Berne (Old And Unwise: 2012) and Louis Sclavis he has be good.

Bruno_Chevillon_6021358.jpg

Accordion – Jean-Louis Matinier
Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone – Louis Sclavis
Vocals, Double Bass – Bruno Chevillon
Vocals, Trombone, Piano, Written-By, Liner Notes – Alain Gibert

Spotify | Youtube

Album is very much in the same french riviera bossa jazz modus as my favorite Macedonian band- Foltin.

R-1334006-1235208739.jpeg.jpg

Spotify | Youtube

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts